Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Do turbos reproduce in aquariums?

I came home this afternoon and turned the lights on my aquarium to find a small snail on the back of my tank. It looks like a tiny turbo snail (I had an orange turbo that died a couple of weeks ago.) I tried taking a picture of it but it didn't work out too well. The shell is a cream color with brown stripes and it has the little antennae things like my turbo had. From what I can tell it is very similar. As I was looking the tank over I found another one that looked exactly like this one on the rocks it was just smaller. Any ideas on what I have here?
Old 11/21/2006, 05:49 PM
Member of SEA-T

sounds like a Collonista snail. these guys stay tiny, come out at night to graze on algae, and will multiply in your tank. heres some info about 3/4 down.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php
Old 11/21/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Never mind....after doing a little looking into this I think I have Collinistas (don't think that's spelled right). I've also found a couple of Bristle worms. This is such a cool hobby!
Old 11/21/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure about Turbo's reproducing as I've not heard it done in a captive environment. I would imagine you could with the right conditions though?

I can say though that Margarite snails aka Margarita snails will reproduce, again with the right conditions. Mine started creating offspring after I began using two part ionic calcium. Up to that point only my 'shrooms and zoas would reproduce.
I've also got 2 new baby urchins as well that are from a mother I purchased about 5-6 months ago now. Same thing, when the calcium was introduced it (male or female?) began spawning. Oddly enough it reproduced without any help.
I'd had it for a few months and then one day POW a new little one, then a few weeks later, POW another little one. Nothing since then but I also added a pencil urchin to the tank as well to co-exist with my 3 black and white pin cushion urchins. So far, so good .
Old 11/21/2006, 07:28 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

Turbos can and will reproduce in the aquarium. Mine did. They do it in giant orgies and emit clouds of sperm into the water. Now I have lots of little babies running around.