Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2006, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

800 gallon tank

OK-- so I was offered a large acrylic tank it is 8'x5'x30"
It slightly used. $2,000.00 I have to get it moved my self

Is it worth it?

The guy had it built to be a shark tank, and feels now that it is on site, it seems smaller than he thought it would be for the sharks. I looked at it and it looks clean, with no visible scratches. What do you feel should be the correct thickness of material for the tank?
Old 11/20/2006, 07:02 PM
Alpha One

I cant really tell from the pic if the tank is thick enough, but for $2000 that is a great deal.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 11/20/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

2g with the stand? better take that and run...
Old 11/20/2006, 07:42 PM
reef aquarium god

it should be nothing less than 3/4" thick, preferrably 1" thick. my 30" talll acrylic from myreef is 3/4". it is a great deal though.
Old 11/20/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Agree with the above, 3/4" at an absolute minimum - 1" would be better. 3/4" would be *okay* with good amount of bracing. Do you have a pic of the bracing? Can't see much from the pic.

James
Old 11/20/2006, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

From the pic it looks like 1/2" thick at least. What does the top bracing look like?
Old 11/20/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Yep, looks like 3/4". From a $$ POV, $2k is a good deal, with the stand - a very good deal. Next question; do you know who the mfr is?

James
Old 11/20/2006, 11:18 PM
reef obsessed

A steal at that!
Old 11/21/2006, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

James,

I don't know who the mfgr is, that's why I am asking about the thickness. I just want to make sure it is built to be long lasting v.s. good looks.

As for the top, what I can remember of it, it has one large piece with one large opening on each of the short ends +- 3'x2', and two openings down each of the long ends. The cut outs were all nicely rounded with a smooth surface.

I feel I sould buy it -- even if I am not ready to use it. I realy like it, as it has a center overflow, and will be good for four sided viewing, and that is what I eventually want to do, when I the
time is right to build my next set up. I can store it im my garage for now.
Old 11/21/2006, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

It's a steal, even if your not ready to use it right away. Jump on it!

If you pass it up, you will be kicking yourself when you are ready to goto that size.

btw, heyoh everybody
Old 11/21/2006, 10:39 AM
One Millionth Poster

Give them $1800, act reluctant. Then take it and run!!!
Old 11/21/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

I kinda have to agree with everyone else. From the sounds of it - a good bargain.
The downside (well sorta); due to the size & location of the openings - areas will be hard to get to for a full blown reef but still a good buy if, and only if, you can realistically use it for your own needs. Do you have a space in your home where it can be placed? Do you really want to put that kinda time/money into a tank? That sorta thing. Are yo going to put it up in the next year? If this thing sits in your garage for the next 5 years - is it really a good deal *for you*. I don't mean to put it down, not the case at all but if dog food is $1/bag and you buy 100 bags - it's only a good deal if you already have a dog, know what I mean?
Ugh, I must sound like such the pessimist but just trying to be realistic - hope you understand.
OTOH, If you feel it's something you can and will do - I'd go for it, it *is* a heck of a deal.
BTW, if you are going to store it in the garage - please do not let it freeze. Freezing acrylic can be bad.
As for transport, there are many ways to handle this - *that* would be the easy part.

HTH?
James
Old 11/21/2006, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Acrylics,

I have a three car garage that is adjacent to my dining room. I only use two of the three, so, I was thinking about adding a nice set of french doors on the wall that would open up into the adjacent garage, and making a room in there - taking advantage of the support of the concrete floor and enough space all around for good four sided viewing.

What happens if Acrylic is exposed to freezing temps? I only deal with thermoplastics in my type of business. Point of Purchace display injection molding.
Old 11/21/2006, 02:27 PM
Moved On

Where did you say this was located again? lol..Thats a stellar pricde for that tank. Stnad included you could reselland make a profit easily. Most 300 gal tanks caost that much let alone 800 gal. Stand aside that tanks would easily cost 3 x's that to have built and shipped.
Id hate to have to light that and plumb it but what a sight to see when it was done.
Old 11/21/2006, 02:27 PM
Moved On

Where did you say this was located again? lol..Thats a stellar price for that tank. Stand included you could re-sell and make a profit easily. Most 300 gal tanks cost that much let alone 800 gal. Stand aside that tanks would easily cost 3 x's that to have built and shipped.
Id hate to have to light that and plumb it but what a sight to see when it was done.
Old 11/21/2006, 02:29 PM
Moved On

Crap, double post
Old 11/21/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Biggie,

I am always preaching to my wife "you have got to stop the impulse purchasing" -- now how do I go about this without egg on my face?
Old 11/21/2006, 03:56 PM
~~~Big O~~~

thats a good deal I think --my tv cost more than that. Anyway, it looks small for a shark tank and I think round is better for them too, NO?

I'd like it for a fish only -- Im in NY too, your lucky Im boke ;-)
Old 11/21/2006, 04:05 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
IMO the tank is not where the real cost comes in.. lights, pumps, LR, salt, skimmer, etc thats where you budget will get streched.. but like James says if you really want it get it.. you could always sell it if you dont set it up...

it would make a cool fowlr tank

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/21/2006, 05:53 PM
Alpha One

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
IMO the tank is not where the real cost comes in.. lights, pumps, LR, salt, skimmer, etc thats where you budget will get streched.. but like James says if you really want it get it.. you could always sell it if you dont set it up...

it would make a cool fowlr tank
When you get to that size tank the tank costs really starts to climb up substantially. Im hoping my next tank doesnt run more than 6-7K.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 11/21/2006, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by polywise
Acrylics,

I have a three car garage that is adjacent to my dining room. I only use two of the three, so, I was thinking about adding a nice set of french doors on the wall that would open up into the adjacent garage, and making a room in there - taking advantage of the support of the concrete floor and enough space all around for good four sided viewing.
Good idea

Quote:
What happens if Acrylic is exposed to freezing temps? I only deal with thermoplastics in my type of business. Point of Purchace display injection molding.
Depends on how much mosture there is in the material. Normally, acrylic contracts in cold temps. If the material freezes *and* there is a good amount of moisture in the material, the material will be contracting but when the moisture freezes - it expands, this expansion *can* degrade the material from the inside out. To be honest, I have never had this problem but have heard of it on a few occasions so can't say with a high degree of certainty that it *will* be an issue but I'd err on the side of caution.
A simple space heater will go a long way in helping eliminate this possibility. Simply being exposed to freezing temps is usually not an issue but the material itself freezing *can* be.
BTW acrylic is a thermoplastic in which heat and conversely - cold can be problematic, similar to ABS, polycarb, etc.

HTH,
James
Old 11/21/2006, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

SunnyX,
my current set up (280 euro braced glass reef tank) consists of 4 400w 20k MH, 4 VHO atinic, 2 1 hp chillers, 2 dolphin 1 hp pumps, 1 iwaki 100rlt, etss100 skimmer, pro-cal reactor. 600 pounds of live rock, 200 pounds of live sand -- a bunch of fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, softies, and an attempt at some hard corals. Once it is started you can't look back --- it is a hobby, and gives peace of mind to look at.

James, I know acrylic is hydroscopic, but I thought sheet stock would be different, due to the way it is produced extrusion rolled or cast right?
Old 11/21/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

They are different but not that much. Cell cast will absorb ~1% water (by weight) and extruded about 60% more - ~1.6% by weight. Of course this takes time (12 week submersion) and will also dry out (to a point) in time so the instances I have known of could be of saturated material - can't say. In any event, I would still err on the side of caution esp with something that will hold ~8000-10000lbs of water, sand, and rock.

Soooo, did ya get it?

James
Old 11/21/2006, 09:44 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah jump on that!
Old 11/21/2006, 10:59 PM
Alpha One

Quote:
Originally posted by polywise
SunnyX,
my current set up (280 euro braced glass reef tank) consists of 4 400w 20k MH, 4 VHO atinic, 2 1 hp chillers, 2 dolphin 1 hp pumps, 1 iwaki 100rlt, etss100 skimmer, pro-cal reactor. 600 pounds of live rock, 200 pounds of live sand -- a bunch of fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, softies, and an attempt at some hard corals. Once it is started you can't look back --- it is a hobby, and gives peace of mind to look at.

James, I know acrylic is hydroscopic, but I thought sheet stock would be different, due to the way it is produced extrusion rolled or cast right?
I was talking about the cost of the tank itself, not the entire system. Trust me I know about all the crazy costs that come with a large tank. I plan on my next tank being 1000gl-1200gl.