Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2006, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Live rock comparison - PA vs. RS

I recently purchased a Finnex 30 gallon tank. I did some research here and determined that there were two companies that were highly regarded so I ordered 40 lbs of rock from Premiumaquatics.com and 40 lbs from reefscience.com.

I told each that the rock will be put in the 30 gallon Finnex tank as well as a 40 gallon that I'm setting up. My next two posts will show exactly how I received each and exactly what I received.
Old 11/15/2006, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Here is the rock from Premiumaquatics:

continued...

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11/15/2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11/15/2006, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Rubble left in box after removal of rock:

A couple pieces representing the whole:

Old 11/15/2006, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Rock received from Reefscience:

continued...
Old 11/15/2006, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

rubble left in box after removal of rock:

A few pieces together:

Old 11/16/2006, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I've had each rock for almost a week. I'm noticing life on all of it, though the life on the rock from reefscience is more apparent. Here's a shot of one thing opening up. I'm going to have to flip the rock over because I did not notice this earlier. I also have others on at least one other piece of rock:

Old 11/16/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

i see a clear winner. what were the two types of rock called?
Old 11/16/2006, 11:35 AM
RC Sponsor

Wow, thanks for posting those photos... Yes, please spread the word about our Reefscience Indonesian Live Rock!

Thanks again,
Chad D. Bryant
--
Old 11/16/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chelskisw6
i see a clear winner. what were the two types of rock called?
I agree ... ReefScience obviously has much better quality and service. Thanks for taking the time to do this Mike!
Old 11/16/2006, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

I did not note anything regarding service in this thread. Both were very helpful and fulfilled my request for the size rock that I wanted.

I in fact have since talked to and purchased other items from premiumaquatics. I believe that another order will be shipped to me today. Jay at premiumaquatics has literally replied to 15 emails and called me on the phone to discuss my requests. Their customer service, based on my experience with them has been nothing less than stellar.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Well I guess I should edit my comment from service to "packing" ... that's what I wanted to say ... I have ordered from PA numerous times and never experienced problems ... just backorders :/
Old 11/16/2006, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Yes, it is obvious that the reefscience packing and box labeling was better. In addition, I was not charged for the Styrofoam box or the heat packs. There were actually 2 heat packs included, one on top and one on the bottom.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

I honestly think PA rock is overrated. they have great CS and all, but people regard their rock too highly. That being said, liverock is best bought at your LFS, and I'm lucky that I live in socal, though the stores in norcal seem to be nicer
Old 11/17/2006, 04:02 AM
Registered Member

reefscience got some fine looking rock!
Old 11/17/2006, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

I think both types of rock look great. Its kind of hard to compare the quality of rock from each company when they are two different types of rock.
Old 11/17/2006, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Also, from a research background, you can't make any true claims with only 1 point of comparison. But of course one example is eons better than no example. Thanks Mike.
Old 11/17/2006, 03:03 PM
clownfish fan

i just went to reefscience they have live rock covered in zoas as well as this ultra purple indonesia rock with lots of macro sweet stuff i am going to get 30lbs
Old 11/17/2006, 03:13 PM
clownfish fan

i just went to reefscience they have live rock covered in zoas as well as this ultra purple indonesia rock with lots of macro sweet stuff i am going to get 30lbs
Old 11/17/2006, 03:34 PM
Dirty Reefer

What kind of rock from PA and how much was it?

What kinda of rock from Reefscience and how much was it?

Did both shippments cost the same?

Are we comparing apples with apples?

Did reefscience slip the twenty $ bill in there for you.
J/k

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 11/17/2006, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Since I only bought 40 lbs from each vendor I paid an arm and a leg (when you factor in shipping). The premium aquatics rock is Uncured Marshall Island rock - $5.24 / lb + $90 shipping. The reefscience rock is their cured Indonesian rock and it was $6.75 / lb + $94 shipping.

As noted above, the reefscience rock was cured and the premiumaquatics rock was not. I think cured vs uncured usually adds $.50 - $1.00 / lb. Adding $.50 - $1.00 extra to the PA rock the reefscience rock cost approximately $.50 - $1.00 / lb. more.

I wish he slipped me a $20 - I really wish he gave the rock to me for free. Unfortunately when my wife looks at the credit card statement in a couple days she'll be able to attest that it was not a freebie.
Old 11/18/2006, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

wow.

that reefscience rock is SWEET! that is seriously some beautiful rock.

i was seriously bumming on my recent live rock purchase until i saw the price.

i think that is a very fair price for that rock, because it is spectacular. however, that's still about $7.50-8.00 /lb which is way out of my price range.

still, there is definately a clear winner between these two batches. imo, the $1.50 lb difference was well worth it!
Old 11/18/2006, 05:32 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

PA has poor quality rock. i ordered #40 Fiji in 12/05 and its not bad shapes but hardly any coralline when i got it, and had alot of rubble, about 5 lbs or more. i called they said put it in you r sump. i dont use them, my tanks are all natural. 11 months later about 40-50% covered in coralline now. in 16 yrs of ordering rock i would have to say theirs is probably the bottom if my list. TBS is concrete/mix and not real calcium carbonate. IMO they are way over priced. ReefScience is very nice looking, and worth the price IMO. when i first started in this hobby 16 years ago LR sold at LFS for around $14.00-$18.99 but it was the best rock ive ever purchased. and back then, thats the only place to get LR.

John
Old 11/18/2006, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

I purchased a bunch of rock from Chad at reefscience and since he is local I got to pick up directly most of it. Its really nice rock and chocked full of life. The indonesian rock was better than the Kaleini I started my 1st reeftank with. Chads also a great person to deal with and will treat with you honesty.
The rock that he helped my 12yr old son hand pick out came loaded with some Zoos which was a nice addition
Even with the added cost of shipping rock to you its well worth it in the long run.
Old 11/28/2006, 01:59 PM
Beer King

The reefscience rock is awesome i will admit that but it is still a little to steep for me esp having to get it shipped. 6.75 a lb isnt bad though if you are local & can pick out your own pieces. Much better than the lfs stores in nashvilles live rock selection. I wish I lived closer to reefscience.
Old 11/28/2006, 03:06 PM
A.K.A. colinadam

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnetworth
PA has poor quality rock. i ordered #40 Fiji in 12/05 and its not bad shapes but hardly any coralline when i got it, and had alot of rubble, about 5 lbs or more. i called they said put it in you r sump. i dont use them, my tanks are all natural. 11 months later about 40-50% covered in coralline now. in 16 yrs of ordering rock i would have to say theirs is probably the bottom if my list. TBS is concrete/mix and not real calcium carbonate. IMO they are way over priced. ReefScience is very nice looking, and worth the price IMO. when i first started in this hobby 16 years ago LR sold at LFS for around $14.00-$18.99 but it was the best rock ive ever purchased. and back then, thats the only place to get LR.

John
Interesting considering you have had good things to say about PA before

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=976024

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=968025