Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2006, 10:30 PM
King of the white corals

What is the absolute quietest pump.......

that can give me at least 4000 gph at 8 feet of head pressure????
Old 11/11/2006, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Submersible or External. No that the quiet pumps will be the pumps that are not fan cooled or are submersible and in exchange to the quietness, will transfer heat to the aquarium. At 4000 gph, it will be a considerable amount of heat. Just hate to see you get a 4000gph quiet pump and then have to offset buying a chiller which would be counterproductive. At that flowrate, I would recommend a high-quality external fan-cooled pump, which will make some fan noise, but should have minimum pump noise. I cant recomend any pumps at that size but thought I would give you some food for thought.

Chris
Old 11/11/2006, 10:50 PM
King of the white corals

chiller covered......its in a different room.......im actually looking for two pumps for two different closed loops on two different tanks......

so heat a non issue, money a non issue and needs to be external.

quietest pump now that i offered more details???

I want the power of two darts...but the noise of two darts running as well..........

splitting the cls up into two independent systems isnt an option either..............otherwise i would just use two darts........(or 4 pumps for both systems)
Old 11/11/2006, 10:53 PM
Generic Member

Old 11/12/2006, 12:44 AM
King of the white corals

bump
Old 11/12/2006, 12:49 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
red dragon... no doubt the quietest pump on the market...

captiveoceans.com sells them

edit they dont make one that moves 4000 gph...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/12/2006, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

What about an Eco Vortech pump for circulation. Quiet, high flow, and really cost effective regarding energy usage and no heat added to the tank.
FB
Old 11/12/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

So you want a pump like the Dart, but with more flow?
Why not just look at the Sequence line and see if one of the other pumps would fit the bill? Seems the logical first step.

Briefly looking on MarineDepot's website, they have the MantaRay, TigerShark, 1000 series, 750 series . . . all with flow rates of about 5000gph- some energy efficient, some not so much. Since they have a pretty reliable rep for making quiet pumps, I'd imagine any of em should be good.
Old 11/12/2006, 01:43 AM
King of the white corals

Thanks jcraft....but besides the dart, the bigger sequence pumps arent all that quiet.......... : (

Just wondering what else may be out there........
: )

fishbulb.....thanks for the response as well.....but im a big fan of OM 8-ways ability to get true everywhere flow and zero plumbing or powerheads visible in my tanks if plumbed well.........
Old 11/12/2006, 02:35 AM
Industry Professional

I would argue that there is a nominal difference in noise between a Dart and the Hammerhead, I run both and think that they are both quiet pumps.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 11/12/2006, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

Red Dragon pumps, no doubt.
Old 11/12/2006, 09:28 AM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by pyrrhus
I would argue that there is a nominal difference in noise between a Dart and the Hammerhead, I run both and think that they are both quiet pumps.
I havent heard the hammerhead........but i am running a dart and a barracuda at the moment and there is a HUGE difference in noise between the two. Im curious why the hammerhead would be any different?????

shiva........i was told above the red dragon doesnt make pumps this big........do you have a link to a bigger red dragon pump??

Old 11/12/2006, 11:01 AM
Industry Professional

I'll double check mine at the store later.

Old 11/12/2006, 11:02 AM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by pyrrhus
I'll double check mine at the store later.

cool...thanks

: )
Old 11/12/2006, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

I think the Hammerhead is a good bet. It will be tough to find a truely quiet pump for that flow. The Barracuda and Hammerhead are low speed pumps so they will be quieter than most magnetic drive pumps. It's tough for the Hammerhead to be as quiet as a Dart since it is moving twice as much flow. I know people with Hammerheads in their living room and they think they are quiet.
Old 11/13/2006, 10:51 AM
Industry Professional

After listening to both the Dart and the Hammerhead, the hammerhead is noticeably louder than the Dart, but I had to put my ear within a foot of the Hammerhead to hear the noise in a store that isn't especially quiet. One other thing to note is that the shaft seal on the hammerhead looks to have leaked a bit and is probably making it a little louder than normal.

I still maintain that if you dont want to use multiple darts the hammerhead is the quietest pump at that flowrate.

Old 11/13/2006, 10:59 AM
King of the white corals

Thanks for the feedback pyrrhus. Appreciate you looking.

Hmmm...i wonder if i just have a Barracuda that is just noisier than it should be????? Its only been in use for 3 months and sounds the same way it did when i first turned it on.

I was talking with sequence yesterday and they seemed to indicate that IF i did run two darts inline with each other that it would give me the 4000 gph I require at 7-8 feet of head.

I dont understand to be honest how that could be true........i DO see how it could overcome the head pressure and get you to 3400-3500..........but getting DOUBLE the flow seems impossible.

I am waiting to hear back on that. Anybody else have any feedback on that concept??
Old 11/13/2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Closed loops generally have very little head pressure if the piping is sized correctly. So maybe you don't need a big a pump as originally thought???
Old 11/13/2006, 12:50 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiziksgeek
Closed loops generally have very little head pressure if the piping is sized correctly. So maybe you don't need a big a pump as originally thought???
generally speaking, you are correct

Im just looking to quiet them down is all.........and still get my 4000 gph on both the 225 and the 90

Om 8 way drums cut 3 ports open im figuring in at 8 or so feet of head per tank

Old 11/13/2006, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

HAHA...looks like a PVC spider attacking your tank!