Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2006, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Those with Emperator angels Please!

I just finished quaranteening a beautiful emperator angel and put her in my show tank. For two days she has been great. Nibbling at algae and all my live rock, but now I am noticing that my purple tang won't stop following her around. Wherever she goes, there is the purple tang. So far, the tang isn't whipping his tail at the angel but he is always in her space, just dogging her. She nibbles on a rock and he has to taste the same rock. The angel doesn't seem to care too much, just keeps on doing her business swimming the whole tank and nibbling constantly which is a good sign I think. What do you make of this behavior? Do I need to be worried. I thought these two fish would be compatible. They are roughly the same size with the Emp being slightly bigger. Both are 5 to 6 inches in length. I have a 150 + 30 gallons of sump and refugium. Thanks!
Old 11/07/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Wouldn't worry unless the tang was doing its "shakira" dance at the angel. Prolly just curious as to the new arrival. Congrats on a nice fish. On thing that may help is get two algae clips and feed nori at opposite ends of the tank. They will (should anyhow) go for it and you don't want them competing for the space around one clip.

I wouldn't worry unless the angel seems stressed. It may also help to rearrange the rockwork to "reset" everyone's houses/territory. As long as there are more hiding spots than fish you should be fine.

Hope this helps....

PS tangs are almost always the welcome wagon of annoyance....
Old 11/08/2006, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LRS078
Wouldn't worry unless the tang was doing its "shakira" dance at the angel.
rofl
Old 11/08/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Dont worry. If your emp. doesnt like what the tang is doing she will let him know. I have a juvi emp with tangs 3 of which are larger and he doesnt stand for the crap they want to dish out.
Old 11/08/2006, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

My experiance is that there is a reason they are called "Emperors"
it doesn't sound like the Emp is bothored and he can take care of himself anyway.

Mar
Old 11/08/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
My experiance is that there is a reason they are called "Emperors"
I couldn't have said it better. Your Emperor will be fine, even as a juvenile mine took control of the tank. Every once in a while he will herd all of the fish in to one corner of the tank, just because he can.
Old 11/08/2006, 08:11 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yes they are no angels thats for sure. The purple is just checking out the new neighbor. shouldnt have any problems with them. Good luck and great fish.
Old 11/08/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I will definitely agree with all of the above. All I can say is thank goodness I added my juv emperor last. He is the smallest fish in the tank but it took him only 4 days to completely take over a 250 gal tank. You will be just fine
Old 11/10/2006, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Oh Yeah....FYI my 6" emperor angel bosses around the 11" golden puffer (not to mention everyone else). Classic case of brains vs brawn.....perhaps the smartest fish I've seen.
Old 11/10/2006, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

can a imperator overcome a undulated trigger of the same size in the tank??
Old 11/10/2006, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by triggermen
can a imperator overcome a undulated trigger of the same size in the tank??
well every fish has it's individual personailty so i guess it is possible but generally speaking, NO

people are posting that imperators are dominant, that i will agree with but i think it's being exxagerrated in this post a bit.

for a big angel it's not overly aggressive like a passer or queen and no where near as territorial as say a sohal tang or aggressive like an undulate trigger, they are often kept with butterfly fish if that tells you anything
Old 11/10/2006, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Yea this is starting to sound like all star wrestling or my dad can beat up your dad.

Mar
Old 11/10/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

e
Old 11/11/2006, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

My juv. imperator (3 In) gets picked on ny a maroon clown; I know the imperator is a bad ***, but it just takes the clown's aggression as if it is just a joke and does not strike back.
Old 11/11/2006, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Also give it a little time- I thought my clown trigger was going to kill my yellow tang the first day but after a day or two, everything was fine.