Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2006, 07:22 PM
More than meets the eye

My 125 build.

Well, I just wanted to start a thread to log my 125 build progression. I am also doing it to get others oppinions, and to let others get ideas. Before I get started, let me thank everyone who has gotten me to this point, which isn't far.

The Plan
I wan't this tank to be a 125g (72x18x23), barebottom, SPS system with a high fish load. I'm looking at a 6x80w T-5 retrofit kit from reefgeek. Want mega flow, and mega skimming (looking at the new ATI BM200 or BM250 for a skimmer).

Now I basicly got the tank for allmost nothing. However, after doing a freshwater test, I realized the seams were bad and the tank needed to be taken apart and resealed. Well, Half that battle is over. Thanks to MR. Mota and his 125 build thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=938462
I was able to get the tank apart without breaking any glass. I did however trashed the trim.

While the tank was taken apart, I decided to drill it for my closed loop system. For the closed loop, I'm planning a Dart and an Oceans Motion unit. Here's the pics of the back panal.

I drilled 4x1"holes and 1x2"hole for the closed loop system. Iused the dremel tile cutting bit to do this. As you'll see in the next pic, the holes aren't a perfect circle, but my bulkheads fit perfect. Did'nt take long at all, and this is 1/2"thick glass
Old 11/02/2006, 07:26 PM
More than meets the eye

I also cut a weir out of each end of the tank for external overflows.

Old 11/02/2006, 07:30 PM
More than meets the eye

Now, I gotta redo that nasty floor you guys see in that pic. Then I'll get the rest of the old silicone off and put it back together. Ohh, I still gotta order new trimming for the tank. My LFS can get it for me @ $25 shipped. I'm only getting the bottom piece as I wanna eurobrace the top.
Old 11/02/2006, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Sounds and looks good so far!! I must say you are braver than I am to use a dremel to cut through 1/2" glass but it did come out great. I like the idea of the external side overflows, hmm you got me thinking, lol
Thanks for the mention up above in the first post but you know you have a lot of input in that thread. Don't forget to check in once in awhile cause I may need you,
Take care and I'll be watching
Mike
Old 11/02/2006, 09:49 PM
More than meets the eye

I gotta check in. You're designing my stand At first I was gonna put the two external overflows on the back, but I got worried about all the pressure on a piece of glass that long. There'll be less pressure on the side panals and they'll be hidden by the towers in the stand.
Old 11/03/2006, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I think that will be really nice with the overflows like that. Definitely will give you much more room in the tank without the internal overflow.
Old 11/16/2006, 11:26 PM
More than meets the eye

As some of you know I have'nt been able to do crap due to a knee injory. Well, I get a call this A.M. telling me my new bottom trim is in, and after sitting around for two weeks watching everyone elses projects move foward, I decided it's time to at least get a little done. So, I spent part of my day painting a portion of the room the tank will sit in. Then I called a buddy to come over and put all my glass panals on work benches. This way I can at least start removeing the old silicone. I ended up getting one of the side panals completly done and started the second panal. I'm just useing a razorblad and elbow greas. It's a pain in the @$$. I tried to use this little wirewheel attatchment with my dremel on the edges of the glass. It was getting the silicone off but turned some portions of the glass a lil black. As if burning the glass. What up with that?
Old 11/17/2006, 03:29 AM
Registered pineapple

I am very interested in these side overflows. Sounds like a cool idea. Get that knee better and get back to work!

CPT.
Old 11/17/2006, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Ya what Cpt Murphy said
Got to go Talk to you later
Old 11/17/2006, 10:55 AM
More than meets the eye

Mota, did'nt you use a wire wheel? Did you have the same probs?
Old 11/23/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
Mota, did'nt you use a wire wheel? Did you have the same probs?
Yes I did but what I used was a three or four inch (can't remember) coarse wire wheel on my drill. If I left it for to long in one spot it will burn the glass cause I think it heats the glass. You have to keep it moving but with a larger wire wheel I think you will find that it will not do that as often and will remove the silicone much faster. Of course you will have a film of silicone left over but take a rag soaked in acetone and wipe that film off. The acetone will remove all of the silicone film and prepare the glass for the new silicone. Wear gloves!
Sorry this post is so late but I was never notified by the system for some reason.
Old 12/06/2006, 04:54 PM
More than meets the eye

Well, besides getting the rest of the silicone removed,I have'nt done crap. The knee is still killing me. So I can't lift these heavy @$$ glass panals, and I lost my job. Sucks being it's right before xmas and I'm in the middle of this project. Any ways, I was thinking of replacing the front panal of glass because it has some minor scratches. I really don't need to, but I got the thing apart so why not. I called a local glass shop and they said it would cost like $300. Does this sound right? I think the panal is 23x72 and is 1/2"thick.
Old 12/06/2006, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Pito, sorry to hear the news. I do hope things get better as time goes on. Hold your head up high and keep marching on friend for things will get better for you. Definitely take care of that knee and put the tank on hold for now for you have other things that are more pressing. If I can help in any way let me know.
Ya that does sound like allot of money to me for just one pain of glass. Heck I think a new 125 goes for something like 400-500 dollars.
take care,
Mike
Old 12/10/2006, 05:46 AM
More than meets the eye

Hey Mike, thanks for the kind words. I think I got a new job lined up, but I'm also thinking of going back to school. I know I can get a new tank for what they're trying to charge. I just wanna know what a realistic price should be. He!!, I could probably get a pain of starfire gkass for what they're trying to charge.
Old 12/10/2006, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I agree sounds like a lot of money for one pain
Old 12/13/2006, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

You are much braver than I at cutting those end panels but it looks like it might work very well. Kudos.
Old 12/13/2006, 10:06 PM
More than meets the eye

I think I'll be fine with the side panels. They are stronger than the back because they're not as long. I might take the pieces I cut out and silicone them right under the cut outs inside the external overflows for som added strength.

On a good note, I start a new job Monday. So, this project will resume right after xmas. I did however decide to celebrate by going out and buying some materials to make some DIY rock. I'm hopeing to get it started tomarrow afternoon. Pics to follow.
Old 12/13/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Hey Pito glad to hear the good news!!
Old 12/14/2006, 01:53 PM
More than meets the eye

I just got done makeing my 1st batch of diy rock. Here's a link to the thread that I followed to make them. I uses the 2:1 ratio of salt:cement
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

I used Quickcrete portland cement type#1. As for salt, I used Mortons White Crystal Water Softner Salt. Even though the salt varied in size, I kinda feel it was too large, but I'm not sure as this is my first time. Travis (the originator of this rock) uses a different kind, but I could'nt find it.

Here's a pic of my home made workshop

And here's a pic of my mess when I got done.

I'll get pics of the rocks after they harden. I used 16 8oz cups of salt and 8 8oz cups of cement. Anyways, I'll let you all know how they turn out.
Old 12/14/2006, 02:21 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Looks very cool so far! I've always wanted to make my own rock but never have.
Old 12/14/2006, 03:02 PM
Well... You know...

I want to see the tank put back together with all the holes and the weir.
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his family's existence
Old 12/14/2006, 03:54 PM
More than meets the eye

Thanks Blaze.

jpslickorocks, I ran into some probs with the knee and my job, but now I'll be getting back on track. I wanted to start makeing some rock here and there because you gotta let it cure for so long. So, I figure If I start now, then maybe it'll be ready by the time the tank is ready for water.
Old 12/14/2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Hey I am glad to see you are making rock. I too have wanted to do that but have never tried. I hope it works well for you and if it doesn't I hope we can all learn from it.
Old 12/16/2006, 08:14 PM
More than meets the eye

Today I pulled the rocks out of the salt. I'm still gonna wait a few more days before I toss them in water to cure. Here's a couple of pics of my 1st rock It weighs in at 18lbs, but will probably be less after the salt desolves. In the next batch, I'm gonna crush the salt a bit smaller.

Old 12/16/2006, 08:15 PM
More than meets the eye

And two more that are about 1.5lbs each.