Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2006, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Overfeeding an eel?

Is it possible to overfeed an eel, or should I continue to feed until it no longer wants any food?
Old 10/27/2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Yes it is possible to overfeed, some species will take food until the end of time. You will learn when to stop feeding. What species do you have?
Old 10/27/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

its a Pseudechidna brumerri (white ribbon eel)....... it will eat all day long so far, and i didnt know whether or not to keep feeding it! any idea on this specie? he's in the same family as the moray eels, if that makes any difference
Old 10/27/2006, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I'm on the same boat. My yellow headed morey(G.Fimbriated) will eat all day long if I let him. He is about 2feet long and I feed him two large shrimp, 7 silver sides, and a small clam. If it were up to him, I think he would have continued to feed. I'm afraid of over feeding as well. I feed him on Saturdays and Wednesdays. Anysuggestions...
Old 10/27/2006, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

I have a friend who has one of thoses. He is so awesome
From my understanding his eats mysis shrimp and lots of them. He had told me that he woudnt accept anything else. But he fed 3 times a week, about 15 to 20. Sorry I cant help 100%. With the eels I have my Brazilian and Zebra just turn away from food, but my Jewel will eat all day long. Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in. Good luck.
Old 10/27/2006, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

ya, so far it seems like we dont have a definite answer, but some good input! anyone else have any experience?
Old 10/27/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

What timing... I JUST added a yellowtail to my aggressive tank last night and while feeding the other fish Silverslides he went nuts and started taking them off the feeder stick.. He ate 7 slides and a steamer clam.. I decided that was enough, since he kept eating too.. I guess this is a long bump..
Old 10/27/2006, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

I have a Undulated Moray Eel, it is the biggest pig. I feed every 3-4 days a mixed diet of thing all from the Sea, but feed it till it stops showing interest in the food, on avg. it 's feed 2-3 large Squid cleaned and debeaked and a half of fillet to full fillet of fish and 2-3 large prawns.

My EEL is also almost full grown at 4.5 feet long and about 4-5" around in grith.Sliversides don't have all the necessary thing that Eles need in there diet,"I may be wrong",But there deit should be a mixed diet of things like Clams,Squid,shrimp,Mussels,and fatty meat fish from Saltwater. I stopped giving krill there was no interest in it.

Hope this helps. I know these are all different types of Eels ,but the diet should be the same I think, the yellow and blue Ribbon Eels will only eat live foods, this are the Eels that have a bad name in the hobby because there so hard to keep.I'm no expert though these are things I,ve learn from fellow RC members and things I've been told, also things I've read.

Good luck wih your Eels!

later.
Old 10/27/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

You can definitely overfeed an eel with negative results. Fat will accumulate and will eventually lead to an early mortality. There are articles on this elsewhere on the web and perhaps in the database here on reef central. 2x a week is fine, I wouldnt worry about feeding too much at feeding time, they'll usually stop when they've had enough.
Old 10/27/2006, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

bingo, now thats what we are looking for! anyone else seen these articles or know where we can find them?