Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What set up is better over all
Solaris LED- expensive but cheap? 12 32.43%
MH- cant beat that shimmer! 17 45.95%
T5- get your refelct on! 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10/18/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Arrow LED lighting

Do you think the new LED lighting systems from Solaris are better then MH or T5's?....as far as i see the inital cost might be almost twice as much, but there are no bulb replacements for 11 years on a 12/12 cycle and they apparently only draw 75watts but produce PAR levels equal to a 250W 20K MH. Plus i think its great that they have the complete built in control of the sunrise and sunset from 6.5k-22k. along with automatic cloud cover and moon cycles. you dont need any fancy timers because its all build right in. If they stay really cool because it is only LED's i assume you can mount them much closer to the water then a MH. so are these really worth the extra money? just think how much you could save on electricty and bulb replacements! any input from anyone who has acctaually used on of thse would be great... iv only really seen a few tank pics with them being used. here is a link that also goes to the solaris webiste where there is more informationand a review. any imput would be great because i wouldent mind spending more to begin with if it saves me money in the long run.site
Old 10/18/2006, 05:16 PM
Insane Reefer

I'm hoping the price drops in a few months; I'm really interested in these new lights and have a 58gal just sitting in my garage.

I'm not usually this patient, however I work for the gov't and I'm waiting for a transfer.
Once I get the word on "move" or "no move", I'll be putting in the order for a 36'' fixture.
Old 10/18/2006, 07:23 PM
reef-nut

the price is a little steep, but I can see how they would be good for tanks with heat issues.

the big thing that I am looking forward to is the computer part to these lights, they have controllers that can simulate cloud cover and moon cycles - while a novelty, it might start paving the way to a time when we'll get corals to spawn in captivity.. tho that is probably a long time away.
Old 10/18/2006, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

yes but arnt they also alot cheaper in the long run? only 75watts draw and no bulb replacements for a looooong time.
Old 10/19/2006, 12:07 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

They have a price/savings calculator on their website.

Also, its 75 watts per array of LEDs. So, for a 48" fixture, there are 4 arrays of 25 LEDs, each similar to a 250w MH.

That's like having FOUR 250 watt MH bulbs over a 55g....

Also, have read in one of the Solaris threads here that PFO is working on a version that will be comparable to 400w MHs....

Compared to the only other system with that amount of controllability ( Sfiligoi ACLS MHs), the Solaris price is competitive.
Old 10/19/2006, 07:28 AM
reef-nut

sounds neat - just would like to see these out for a year or two and some pics of tanks and how well the coral grew under them. I am sure that they are going to be good lighting as soon as the price comes down and more people adopt them into their systems.
Old 10/19/2006, 07:43 AM
Geek

For my budget a nice teklights setup for around $400 shipped with bulbs and legs versus $2300 someodd.. wow. Maybe if they become cheaper and likeable in the future i'd try them but not on the poor college student's budget atm
Old 10/19/2006, 07:49 AM
reef-nut

this hobby is pricy as it is... finally MH and T5's are affordable and being more and more widely used in the hobby.

I bet within 5 years the prices will be comparable with current mid to high range lighting systems
Old 10/19/2006, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Hey bcreefmaker! where do you live in B.C.? On the Island? Nice to see a fellow canadian on the site!
Old 10/19/2006, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

well, the 2300$ model is equivilnt to the par from 3 MH's... so where can you get 3 250w 20k MH's for around 400$ ready to go straight from the box. and im guessing it will only be a year or two befor they pay for themselves with how much energy you save. oh and mike i live in the interior.
Old 10/19/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

^^BUMP^^
Old 10/19/2006, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

One other thing that you may have overlooked...

If they draw less power, they also probably don't generate as much HEAT. Thus, no need for a chiller and the extra $$ on teh power bill!
Old 10/19/2006, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Ok... I have a question.
Right now, I'm running one 10k 250w MH + 300w of Actinic (T5 and PC. this is on a 36in 70g tank...

Does that mean that I could suspend the 24in unit and get the same amount of light? There would be a 6in gap on each end of course. Would that be a big deal?
Old 10/19/2006, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have any pictures of a tank that uses these lights?
Old 10/19/2006, 07:17 PM
Insane Reefer

I just read a bad review from the southern Maryland club; loose screws, burnt out bulbs and a power failure.
I think I'll wait before throwing down that kind of cash.

I do love the concept and I'm sure I'll own a set one day, but not until it's a tried and true item on the market.
Old 10/19/2006, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

heres what the 24" looks like with a tank
Old 10/19/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

I for sure will get one but not until they fixed some of the bugs.
Old 10/19/2006, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

well they have a 2 year warrenty and havent even been out for a year... so even for thoses who bought them and they dont quite work right they got another year to work it out befor it gets expensive :P
Old 10/20/2006, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

I installed one monday - this pic is bluer/darker than what I see with my eyes - the fixture is whisper quiet compared to my previous and my chiller has not come on since monday when my house is usually 80 degrees during the day - so its a keeper until my corals complain too much - so far thumbs up

the fixture before was 2 times 250 20k and i believe is named as such and is the first one in my gallery

Quote:
Originally posted by falesdk
Does anyone have any pictures of a tank that uses these lights?

Last edited by jnb; 10/20/2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10/20/2006, 11:32 AM
reef-nut

that looks very nice
Old 10/20/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

More pics please.
Old 10/20/2006, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Cost WILL come down, and IMO you cannot beat the savings on elec. and bulb replacement. It is so new, price is higher. It will either drop in price, or improvements will happen with no price increase. I believe that will happen unless their marketing department is less than par...

A reef just isn't for the ocean anymore.
Old 10/20/2006, 01:10 PM
Insane Reefer

JNB,
Very nice picture and a beautiful tank; can you please post a few comparison shots from different time cycles on your tank?

I wish you the best of luck with these new lights; I'd really like to get them myself, however I'm a bit too leery of receiving a lemon.
Old 10/20/2006, 01:18 PM
"Old Yeller"

I did a pretty full comparison on these lights and over the projected 11 year life span, they will save around $100 per year over MH. This took into account cooling, bulb replacement, power consumption and a few other items.

As soon as the reliability is proven a bit better (warranty does not reflect a lot of confidence in unit compared to claims) I would consider them
Old 10/20/2006, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

only a hundred dollars per year?That's just about the cost of a MH bulb alone.