Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

280 gallon tank thread....

I've finally decided that im ready to start my own thread on my build of my new 280 gallon tank that has been sitting in my garage for the past few months now.. I wanted to wait until i own my own house to get a nice big tank but the temptation to upgrade from my 72, i just couldn't wait any longer.. So i settled for the biggest i could probably do in this house that im renting now a 72x30x30 acrylic built from socalcreations.. In about two years i will own my own house and already planning on my "hopefully" final tank a 96-120x48x30 tank.

In the past couple of years i've only own FOWLR tank so this will be my first attempt with some corals. I more of a fish guy so this tank will be center around lots of fish with few corals to color it up. Start with soft corals and few lps then work my way towards sps corals.

Equipment list:
Tank:72x30x30 External Overflow
Sump: 50x22x18 Skimmer - return - refuge
RO/DI: Thyphoon III
Skimmer: Asm G4x recric/gate valve mod
Lighting: Three 250w 14k pheonix bulbs in the new SLS Lumen Max 3 Reflectors
Flow: Mag 18 return"want slow flow through might sump but it might be not enough" Two Tunze stream 6100's on multicontroller might add a 6200 or two if needed.. "will saved if not needed for the newer tank"
Reactors: Kalk/Calicum reactors added on later when corals come into play.. phosphan reactors for phosphan and carbon.
Old 08/29/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Here are some pictures of the tank itself:

Old 08/29/2006, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

I will start posting more pictures this coming sunday once i give my girlfriend her new camera for her b-day, then use it to take pictures of my tank progress... Shhh don't tell her haha...
Old 08/29/2006, 04:14 PM
Moving Along

Sweet tank man! Oh sooo many possibilities !
Best of luck

-Justin
Old 08/29/2006, 04:33 PM
Got Salt?

I will be watching this thread..
Good luck and "May the fish be with you"

Congrats..
~Steve~

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 08/29/2006, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

LPS/Softie and SPS Tanks are a little different in set up. If you plan to definatly catch the SPS bug, you may want to design the tank plumbing now why it is still easy. To have to break it down, to add a closed loop and a spray bar along the backside on the bottom for example, could be a PITA.

It seems you are real close in equipment wise to start out with the SPS.....I say go for the tank you want now rather then down the road. Sure the SPS learning curve is steep and unforgiving, but thats why we are here. Correct?

I suggest this because you already have experience in the hobby and have the fish thing down......Since you have the basics of the chemistry and such......GO FOR IT!!! It will probably be easier in the end. I know I would do thing differently if I knew I would be into SPS as much as I am now. Maybe I wouldn't have had to buy lights 3 different times and only once?
Old 08/30/2006, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I got the lights i'll need and thanks for the heads up.. I think the tunze's will be enough flow don't like the closed loop all that plumming so going to skip on that... Its going to be mixed mainly sps dominated the corals but then again going to not try to have alot of corals though those tanks do look nice, i prefer more of an open sea look..
Old 08/30/2006, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Fish List:
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns ( have )
3 Chromis ( have )
Lawnmower Blenny ( have)
Royal Gramma
Scott's Fiary Wrasse Australia
Flasher Wrasse
Flame Wrasse ( maybe a small harem )
Lineatus Fiary Wrasse
Imperator Angel ( have )
Blue Tang ( have )
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang

Not planning on getting all the wrasse's not even sure which ones or if all will get along.. I know four tangs is alot but i have good experience with tangs and i believe i can make it work depending on the fish too of course. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions should i take off or add on? Thanks for following!
Old 08/31/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

No suggestions? Will have pictures monday and orderd my tunze on next thursday and once those arrived place tank in place start my plumming and being to fill it up!
Old 08/31/2006, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Nice Tank !!

my Envisions 84x30x30 external overflow tannk has been sitting in the garage for a while now too. I am trying to convince the wifey to know a wall down but if that fails, the pre-approved fish room will do (I guess). Good luck

Bryan
Old 09/01/2006, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnerd
Nice Tank !!

my Envisions 84x30x30 external overflow tannk has been sitting in the garage for a while now too. I am trying to convince the wifey to know a wall down but if that fails, the pre-approved fish room will do (I guess). Good luck

Bryan
LuckY! thats the size i wanted to get and now i regret it!
Old 09/01/2006, 05:29 PM
who?

You've got some great fish in that list. I would talk to Wombat about the wrasses. My hunch is that they'd be fine in that size tank, just make sure you have the top covered or you'll end up with some expensive fish jerky.

Personally I think tangs are ich time-bombs. Rabbitfish do a good or better job of algae control, and there are other interesting reef safe fish such as Genicanthus sp. angels that are colorful and active swimmers. Food for thought anyway.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 09/01/2006, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

sounds like fun a 280 will give plenty of room for livestock best of luck
Old 09/01/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses guys... Yeah i heard wombat is the fish gurro or however you spell it haha. Hopefully he will take the time to chime in as well.

Matt: Thanks it is but you know its never enough! Have fun at your new job i've been tempted to leave my job and try to apply there but i'd doubt i'll make the same money there and im only a saltwater geek..
Old 09/01/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mothra

Personally I think tangs are ich time-bombs. Rabbitfish do a good or better job of algae control, and there are other interesting reef safe fish such as Genicanthus sp. angels that are colorful and active swimmers. Food for thought anyway.
I always been found of tangs.. Yeah they can be ich time-bombs but under the proper care housing they can live a long and healthy life.
Old 09/01/2006, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

yoboyjdizz - gunna be a sweet setup.

My only feedback at this point would be to loose some of those tangs. I know they are beutiful but one day they will get ick then trouble starts.

My only other suggestion is to loose the Imperator Angel if you think you might want to keep zoanthids, etc; as they WILL eat softies and nip on LPS/SPS.

And second Jake's comment about putting a cover over the top of your tank or eventually some of the wrasses will become jerky; especially, if you also keep aggressive fish like Imperators.

Post more pics!

Scott
Old 09/01/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plankton

My only feedback at this point would be to loose some of those tangs. I know they are beutiful but one day they will get ick then trouble starts.

My only other suggestion is to loose the Imperator Angel if you think you might want to keep zoanthids, etc; as they WILL eat softies and nip on LPS/SPS.

And second Jake's comment about putting a cover over the top of your tank or eventually some of the wrasses will become jerky; especially, if you also keep aggressive fish like Imperators.

Post more pics!

Scott
Tangs get a bad rap most of the time. Too many beginers buy them and have bad experience with them without knowing how to properly care for them. Though the powder blue and blue tang will eventually come down with ich sooner or later they can easily fight it off it a well establish, good water qaulity system and with a healthy diet.

As far as the angel, im not too concerned. The tank will be well fed im a big believer in to heavy feeding, and the corals will be few as i said more into the fish. Latly alot of people have been having success with them in reef i have a very young one right now so hopefully it can work for me!

As far as jumping i have a canopy and will be getting eggcrate on top... Imp is mild manner though it loves to be the boss of the tank but there is alot of room and they will be able to get away. The angel gets along well with my other fish and only flashes at chromis when they try to swim with him to much... Thanks for the concerns and suggestions!
Old 09/03/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

The Pictures i promised:

Stand/Canopy

Sump ( Best I could get for now )

Asm G4x Skimmer

Handy Test Kits
Old 09/03/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Here are some of the fish in my 50qt/holding tank

As you can see the blue tang has a case of HLLE.. Seems to be coming along though, can't wait to get it in the bigger tank!
Old 09/03/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

yoboyjdizz - Didn't mean to suggest that you don't know how to keep tangs. Just from my personal experience with tangs such as the blue, you can go months (6 mo, year) then POW! something happens in your tank and the tang gets ick.

Ahh, I see you have a baby Imperator. You may see that when it becomes a Juv (mixed coloration) it may get a bit more aggresive then by adult size (8"+) with full adult coloration that it will exert it's full personality. A very beutiful fish, though.

So far I have an adult Imperator, Queen, Bellus, Black-spot and Regal Angels. They are all beutiful fish.

Keep the pics com'n.

Scott
Old 09/03/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plankton
yoboyjdizz - Didn't mean to suggest that you don't know how to keep tangs. Just from my personal experience with tangs such as the blue, you can go months (6 mo, year) then POW! something happens in your tank and the tang gets ick.

Ahh, I see you have a baby Imperator. You may see that when it becomes a Juv (mixed coloration) it may get a bit more aggresive then by adult size (8"+) with full adult coloration that it will exert it's full personality. A very beutiful fish, though.

So far I have an adult Imperator, Queen, Bellus, Black-spot and Regal Angels. They are all beutiful fish.

Keep the pics com'n.

Scott
Thanks for the reply.. Yeah the imp already flashes here and there but i knew going in that this is going to have to be the king/queen of the tank. Will be my biggest fish so the hopefully it will work out..

As far as tangs i didnt think you where hinting that. Your right that can happen and commonly does thats why i recomend a qt everyone. I learned the hard way my first go around..
Old 09/03/2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Base Rock:

Huge piece 15inches in width forgot the length:
Old 09/05/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Some more pic's for your entertainment (50qt/holding tank)

Why i wont keep crabs in the new tank

LMB

Another shot at my juvi emp
Old 09/05/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Im hoping within the next two weeks i will have it full of water with live rock and sand and get this baby cyclin'.....
Old 09/05/2006, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

this tanks going to be great, can't wait to see some fish in there, ill be watching this one