Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2006, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

ID please...this is not a peacock

I got this guy for 15 bucks....sold as a small peacock....can't post pics on here cuz my camera is broke...but I have the pics here at nano-reef.com

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...0&#entry881726
Old 08/27/2006, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Judging by the red segmental lines, i would guess G . Smithii.
Old 08/27/2006, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I thought about that...but then it looks exactly like a g. teratensis
Old 08/27/2006, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

p.s. also...it has orange spots on the inside of its smashers where as g. smithi has blue i think...but I'm sure you know more about these guys then I do. thanks again...more opinions welcome, especially from Dr. Roy
Old 08/27/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

If it has Orange Merals, i would guess G. Ternatensis as well.
Old 08/27/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

thanks crawling....any other advice or tips anyone could give me about these little guys....they're awesome, interactive, scary smart, and interesting to watch!
Old 08/27/2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

It's a G tern...I had one for 2 years, though she passed away last week.
Old 08/27/2006, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...rnatensis4.jpg
Old 08/27/2006, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

yep...thats him/her....any advice Uriel?
Old 08/27/2006, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Dr Roy will possibly chime in, but I would suggest a lot of branching liverock, as he said that they live in that environment. I had a variety of rock in mine. She (Baba-Yaga) was extremely aggressive, and they are known for 'defending' their territory. A tank of at least 20 gallons, they get prett big. larger if you can They hit pretty hard, as well.

Mine attacked whatever entered the tank, feeding tongs, the magnetic cleaner, an anemone that I tried to introduce.She was very active and roamed about quite a lot. She also rearranged a lot, so I would only add corals that were on a large (sturdy) rock. they can take a bit of light, so you could do a nice coral garden for him/her.

BTW, if the antennal scal;es (the rudder on the sides of it's head) is blue, it's a male, orange or yellow, a female.

Mine peferred fiddlers, then snails, then thawed seafood. She also liked ghost shrimp, though she never chased the few guppies that i occassionally offered.

-Uriel
Old 08/27/2006, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the help Uriel...my little guy(has blue attenal scales) is in a 1.5g acylic tank for the time being...setting up a bigger tank that'll be done hopefully in a couple weeks. He is only around an 1'' long, and goes exploring around the tank. Has a lot of nice burrows in the rocks I have in there including some old branch coral the died in my reef tank. Cracked up a snail today, very alert little guy...watches my every move...thanks again..any more advice is welcome
Old 08/29/2006, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

anyone else?
Old 08/29/2006, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

There is no question that that is a Ternantensis. I have had two and they look exactly the same.

I find them active as young, but get reclusive when larger. The biggest one I had lived in a reef tank undetected for years.

Very cool animals. I am in the process of trying to trap my big one with no success. They can hide incredibly well.
Old 08/30/2006, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

thanks rudyistaken, I appreciate the info...more is welcome, my mind is a sponge waiting to learn the way of the mantis shrimp
Old 09/07/2006, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

ok...so manny decided to start closing off his holes in the rock today...does this mean he's ready to molt?
Old 09/07/2006, 09:09 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by Crawling68
Judging by the red segmental lines, i would guess G . Smithii.
We have odd-ball G. smithii's, Crawl. Most smithii look more like those pictured on Dr. Roy's site (http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...name=g_smithii)

Some, however - like mine and apparently yours, seem to mimic the red segmental line markings of the G. ternatensis'.

Closing the burrow used to be fairly typical for Tim (my G. smithii) on a nightly basis; molt or not. These days he only seems to block the throne room when he's nervous about something new or shedding.

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 09/07/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

very true...I thought about Manny being a G. Smithi but then I noticed his orange meral spots and stuck with a G. ternatensis. But, I think your right, he closes himself in during the day and then comes out during the day to look around.

Thanks for the info Density, best of luck to you and tim!

P.S. how is Tim fairing with only one eye?