Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Refugiums - needed for FOWLR systems?

Got a question I'm curious about - do most of you guys have refugiums with your FOWLR tanks?

I still have one from when my tank was a reef setup, but now I'm considering removing it. Not sure what it is, but it's not done nearly as well, probably from the reduction (none) of dosing supplements. I guess I could start back up, but if it's not needed or helpful, then it's one less thing to worry about. I could always just dump what's left of the macro algae into the sump although there's no sand....

Only other thing I can think would be in a refugium that would help in this setup would be pods, but again, not seeing any in mine now.

Comments? Just looking for a show of hands - how many / what percentage of people have them with FOWLR setups?

thanks!
-Chris
Old 08/25/2006, 07:44 PM
Devil in the fur

I have a refuge in my 90g fowlr and I am currently setting up a 210g with a 30g fowlr. the cheato always grows great and keeps maintance down
Old 08/25/2006, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

i asked this a few weeks ago and with the advice from some rf members easily set up a simple refugium out of a 20 gallon aquarium.

basically, some live sand and chaeto algae, fed thru one of my drilled returns, flowing to the refugium, back into the sump. easy to set up.
Old 08/26/2006, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Reef-Fossil,

I hear you loud and clear. I have a 40 gallon fuge on my 200 display tank. Used to run it as a reef, but when we moved I decided that I wanted to be FOWLR, but I still set everything up as before. When it was reef, my macro grew like weeds. I was pulling out handfuls every week. Now that it is a FOWLR, the clump of macro that I threw in over a year ago(size of a baseball) has not grown at all. There is nothing in the fuge that is eating it either, it just will not grow. I have changed the bulbs on the fuge. I have wondered at times why do I have this all going on? I could eliminate a lot of it, just feed the skimmer and have a return pump send the water back to the tank.

Bill
Old 08/26/2006, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Was wonder if I should do one also, I'll wait around, and want is said.

Later.
Old 08/26/2006, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Bill,

Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about... I'm wondering if it's not the lack of suppliments, though from the sounds of it, some people are doing fine.

I think what I'll do is downsize it and add new sand, get some different macro algae and see what happens. Picked up a tub that's just shy of 18 gallons and in a few days I'll pick up some new sand. I'll give it a shot for a few months, see what happens. If it doesn't really grow, then it's getting removed. If it does - awesome, it stays. :-)

I'm worried if I stir up the old sand, since it's a very deep sand bed, there will be some nasty stuff released. Like you, there's nothing in there stirring up anything, so the sand it pretty much packed in tight. I might be able to suction off the top layer if it's loose, but again, is it worth it???

Figure I'll also pick up a brittle start or something that will stir up the sand and just try to remember to feed it weekly or so.

With the tub being smaller (not quite 1/2 the size of what's there now), I can move my sump more towards the middle and get some needed room on the other end for a bigger pump and probably take the next step and move the skimmer and it's pump external to the sump (my thinking is it will be maybe 1 degree cooler and here it's hotter more than cooler).

Anyone see any flaws in any of this?

thanks,
Chris
Old 08/26/2006, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

I got a brittle star do to that, but it stays on the rock all the time maybe I actually got a serpent star this thing is sort of big. About the size on a 1/2 dollar coin little bit smaller and the legs are about 2-3.5" long.It take the carnivore cubes hole , even snatch a piece of salmon I was feeding My Eel today, and that was no small piece.

Later