Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2006, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

clowns all dying or looking sick

I have a problem, I have been losing my clown fish-and what I have left are looking sick. I have a maroon hosting in a plate coral in my sump, a cin. clown hosting in a bubble tip and a perc. hosting in a white anemone, I have lost some black and white percs just recently-my newest addition that didn't go good with the maroon-thus its demotion down to the sump. Everything else in the tank is looking great-no problems with corals or fish. I also dont see any ich. Any ideas? Disease between clowns? Let me know, thanx
Old 08/21/2006, 04:44 PM
RC Mod

How big is your tank ?

That's a lot of different clowns and anemones in one tank.
Old 08/21/2006, 04:47 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
that's more clowns than me an i have a 300 gallon tank...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/21/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any more specifics on their deaths? You said you didn't see any signs of ich. Did you notice anything else strange. Were they breathing rapidly before they died? Acting lethargic? Ragged or missing fins? Any discoloration or other marks on their bodies? Also, how long has your tank been running? Have you tested for ammonia? What type of water flow do you have for oxygen exchange? As the others have hinted at, they could be killing each other off as well. Multiple clowns don't always get along very well. The others generally don't get as nasty as the maroons, but you never know.

-Mike C.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Right now all I have in the main tank is my perc that started in the tank, and the cin. Both are doing great together, but they seem lathargic. My perc. wont host, and seems lost, breathing slightly hard and has a slight redness to the gills. I am affraid I may lose him-but I have had him for over 3 years, and no telling how long teh guy before me had him...could be old age? After the blacks died though I am worried they brought something into the tank-got them straight from a pet store. Thanx nicole