Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/19/2006, 09:51 PM
Worker Drone

Reef a Palooza - a success?

I'd like to take a moment to express my thanks to all those responsible for putting on RAP.

It turned out to be a nice day weather wise, there were lots of goodies, and the presenters were great (thanks to Bob Fenner and Anthony Calfo, in particular - if I missed someone I apologize!).

My only suggestion right off the top is the availability of some kind of a wireless connection for those of us with laptops, and, most importantly, COFFEE! Note that these are suggestions and would only enhance the experience. Perhaps I could get involved next year and work on these myself.

I'd also like to express thanks on behalf of the Inland Reefers. We appreciated the spot and the ability to get the word out about our club. Ours is a truly unique hobby and it was great to meet more of our fellow reefers, who, it turns out, are great people! Next year we're looking at having more of a presence and hope to contribute to the effort, as well.

Thanks again for such a fantastic day!

Bruce and the Inland Reefers

Be an IT consultant!
Old 08/19/2006, 10:08 PM
IEMAS Member

word!
Old 08/19/2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Wordx2
Old 08/19/2006, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

yea i had a great time, but i want to know who scored what!? I got me a few zoos and a green cap.
Old 08/20/2006, 12:12 AM
Worker Drone

I got me some zoos only. Some red, some that were supposed to be blues (that look brown!), some yellow ones and more "true blues" (that, ironically, appear to be brown, as well. And no, it ain't my lights...).

I decided to pick up one of those 3 gal nano tanks, as well. I'll drop something hearty in it and put it on my desk at work...

I also scored a gift certificate in the raffle. 20 bucks.

Again, it was a great time.

Everybody: hoist a cold one for Reef a Palooza!

Since I fear not many will see my message this evening, I shall hoist one on your behalf.

Cheers!

Be an IT consultant!
Old 08/20/2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Not having Internet did suck. I wanted to buy something and the vendor didn't take Credit, only cash or PayPal. I didn't have $600 cash on me, so I had to leave and find a local library to get on the Internet so I could Paypal the money over.

I'd say next year, EITHER provide a wireless access point, OR enforce some kind of policy where vendors selling goods over $200 have to accept plastic.

Josh
Old 08/20/2006, 01:18 AM
Mantis Freak

Fmellish; $600 that makes me curious what was it?!
Old 08/20/2006, 01:30 AM
Sannin

RAP was cool but kinda disappointed with only a few frags. sellers.
Old 08/20/2006, 01:32 AM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by Fmellish
Not having Internet did suck. I wanted to buy something and the vendor didn't take Credit, only cash or PayPal. I didn't have $600 cash on me, so I had to leave and find a local library to get on the Internet so I could Paypal the money over.

I'd say next year, EITHER provide a wireless access point, OR enforce some kind of policy where vendors selling goods over $200 have to accept plastic.

Josh
Not sure how that kind of requirement would be received. It IS for their own benefit, sure. But we also want to encourage vendors to attend, and making it as easy on them as possible increases the likelihood of their attendance.

I've already thought about a way to get wireless for next year. Should be achievable (provided I get some cooperation from someone near by with an internet connection, that is...). Other than that, I'll have to do it the way I did it today - which was kinda painful (slow xfer speeds of CDMA just kill me. But hey, it was better than nothing...).

I'm thinking that next year we can have a BBQ with tri-tip and maybe chicken. I'll have to give that some thought. Also, coffee.

And would gorgeous, hot and cold running Blondes be too much to ask for? I mean this IS southern California, you know... Someone should look into that.

Be an IT consultant!
Old 08/20/2006, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tetra
I got there at 11:15AM and lots of people were already holding their bought frags already. Ill say but 11:30am most frags were sold.
Old 08/20/2006, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Kudos!
To RAP and everyone that was there.

One question? who the hell was it that was winning everything
in the raffle?
Old 08/20/2006, 02:18 AM
Moved On

a pure o2 tank wudda been cool as well...LFS STYLE even
Old 08/20/2006, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

I'd also like to give a big thanks to the SCMAS and Marine Depot for a great day. I've met many people today that I seen on RC.com all the time so it was nice putting some faces on all these threads.
Old 08/20/2006, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiee
One question? who the hell was it that was winning everything
in the raffle?
I won a few nice things in the raffle.
Old 08/20/2006, 10:06 AM
Reef slave

big thanks to scmas. one can tell that alot of effort and planning went on proit to this. I had a great time. It was also nice to put a face to some of the members here. cool t shirts from both the events and the ie reefers. nice
Old 08/20/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Kudos to SCMAS for organizing a wonderful event. Many of us appreciate the hard work and efforts that it took to make this happen. From what I saw, things went pretty smoothly. I had a great time, meet some new people, saw some familiar faces, picked up a few items and even won some raffle prizes. I was hoping to meet more RC people but I didn't have a name tag and I didn't see too many others with them either.
Old 08/20/2006, 10:45 AM
Where'd my check go?!

Fmellish/everyone: You can now xfer money from paypal using ur cellphone! Check out their website. You just have to call this # they give you, enter your pin, and BANG! Transfer complete!

-Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Fmellish

Josh

-TJ
Old 08/20/2006, 10:46 AM
It's all about ME!

Shawn bought $200.00 worth of raffle tickets. Some people have a lot of money to spend I guest???
I score two Iwaki pumps Thank You Chris, love you.
I had fun I spend the whole day there.
Old 08/20/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

who won that geo reactor?
Old 08/20/2006, 11:35 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by tetra
i agree the only real coral vendor was Eric "fragfarmer" and he was mobbed the entire time.. Its really hard to for me to call it a frag swap when there are very few people selling sps frags.( i am only looking for SPS)

I was expecting more i guess.. but it was cool to put a face to the RC names that i see..

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/20/2006, 11:45 AM
Moved On

Man that was fun....I didnt really get to walk around at all cause I was selling too many frags...I picked up some nice SPS and they are all doing awesome! Thanks guys...
Old 08/20/2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Fmellish - Josh

Congrats on the new tank it was a good deal. My wife and I came back but you already took the tank....damn it was a nice tank and great price.
Old 08/20/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
i agree the only real coral vendor was Eric "fragfarmer" and he was mobbed the entire time.. Its really hard to for me to call it a frag swap when there are very few people selling sps frags.( i am only looking for SPS)

I was expecting more i guess.. but it was cool to put a face to the RC names that i see..
Steve Garrett wasn't exactly chopped liver I was sharing his tent space and I don't think there were ever less than 6-10 people crowding the tent. He sold SPS stuff for hours.
Old 08/20/2006, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

RAP was awesome.....The guys running SCMAS kick A$$.....what an unbelievable event.....I walked out of there with a T-shirt, a cool zoanthid frag (raffle win), and a nice Seio 1500....then I got to see my buddy Josh (Fmellish) pick up the best deal there (unless you won one of those Euro Reefs in the raffle ), and had a front row seat to watch Steve's anemone sit on that Tile Saw for like 15 min. (c'mon....we were all freaking out) while Anthony told us about the cutting of anemones...then saw that thing in half.....not to mention Fenner who is always a hoot to talk and listen too....this was the event of the year!

Thanks again
Old 08/20/2006, 02:41 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

We are super bummed.... I got sick the night before and missed out. We have so much frags we were planning on bringing. I guess there will always be a next time.

Anybody have any pics to share?