Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Shy emerald crab: grow a pair!

Just got an emerald crab yesterday. 24 gallon nanocube. The emerald pretty much stays hidden all day. Even parts of the night. I know many emerald crabs do this.

Question: what can I do to to toughen this guy up? For example (just to think outside the box), keep him in a cup in the tank during the night (so he cannot eat) and let him roam around during the day. I just made that up. I'm would love to hear your suggestions on what if anything I can do.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08/16/2006, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

I suggest you let him/her do what is natural to them.
Old 08/17/2006, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Another idea: leave some lights on in the room all night so it's never completely dark. Presumably she will get more comfortable looking for food when it is not completely dark.
Old 08/17/2006, 01:53 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

More then likely you are never going to get it to come out for viewing. Its just going to find food while hiding in the rockwork.
Old 08/17/2006, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

lol @ chris - thats gold! id love to see u try and catch him every night !! if u wanna see him more gety like 20 of em then youl see lots!!!
Old 08/17/2006, 08:04 AM
Moved On

You'd hide too if a giant stuck you in a little glass box.
Old 08/17/2006, 08:38 AM
Geek

Give it time. My emerald will be hidden some days, and out in the open feasting on whatever he finds along my LR and the scraps (like there are any ><) from feeding my fish
Old 08/17/2006, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

I find mine out usually an hour or two before lights out. I think they just sleep most of the time and get hungry right about then. While they are rarely in plain sight, I often find them in nooks in the rock.

One thing to think about is matching your rockwork to their habits. I have a nice little cave at sand level in mine. Both my peppermints sleep there hanging upside down from the rockwork. Very visible and people always comment on them when they see my tank.
Old 08/17/2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lux_06
lol @ chris - thats gold! id love to see u try and catch him every night !! if u wanna see him more gety like 20 of em then youl see lots!!!
That's a good point re catching. I like your suggestion. I might get a few... keep the boldest and return the rest.
Old 08/17/2006, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wav3form
You'd hide too if a giant stuck you in a little glass box.
Thanks for the constructive comment. That's a good idea. If I were in a glass box, what would have to be done to me to get me to come out during the day. Hmmm.... only get food during the day... gotta think what else... ?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08/17/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
One thing to think about is matching your rockwork to their habits. I have a nice little cave at sand level in mine. Both my peppermints sleep there hanging upside down from the rockwork. Very visible and people always comment on them when they see my tank.
That's a great idea, thank you! Curious: how will shy/timid/hiding critters feel if there really are no completely hidden caves in the rockwork? My rockwork is for the most part open and I wonder if that will harm/stress/whatever someone who likes to stay hidden.

Chris
Old 08/17/2006, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
Give it time. My emerald will be hidden some days, and out in the open feasting on whatever he finds along my LR and the scraps (like there are any ><) from feeding my fish
chrisstie:

Does your emerald come out when he smells food or only when he is good and ready?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08/17/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

my emerald crab is all over the place. he will prance in front of the glass for hours at a time and then dissapear for a little while only to emerge as frantic as ever. for a while i thought he was sick or unhappy or something, but now i am thinking he is just a bit crazy. it is also a large male, i imagine that has something to do with his temperment.

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.
Old 08/18/2006, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

I have 2 emeralds and rarely see them. I really have to look because they blend in so well with the rock. But most of the time they are hidden in the rockwork.

Regards,

Pat
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 08/18/2006, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Give him a little time to get adjusted to his surroundings. Few critters are naturally bold enough to be right out in the open the first day you get them (many take a month or more to get some guts). The few that are bold enough usually end up being much more aggressive than you will really want in the long run. Give it a month or so and see if you two have become more accustomed to each other.

-Kevin
Old 08/18/2006, 06:55 AM
Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstankevitz
chrisstie:

Does your emerald come out when he smells food or only when he is good and ready?

Thanks,

Chris
Seems to be pretty random.. He likes to pick off of my rockwork so depending on where he is feeding sometimes you see him and sometimes you don't.

I would say I definitely see him much more in the evening than I do in the day, but he also does get excited during feeding. . . Not that I don't see him at all in the day- just much more at the other times.
Old 08/18/2006, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

LMAO....I'm still laughing at your subject title!