Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2006, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Mantis not doing well

I recieved my manits today and with the high temps, it suffered. When i opened the box, it was on its back, the swimmerettes and the gills were moving. Once i got the temp of the water down i noticed the eyes and antennae also were moving. He has been in my tank for 5 hours now and hasnt moved from the spot he was in. Its like his legs dont work, he is leaning on his head in the sand. His eyes do respond to movement. Is there anything i can do or is he a goner? I touched his tail with a hemostat and it zipped across the tank. It is alert, just lazy lol. Any help would be appreciated. Ive been wanting one for awhile now i get one and im not sure its going to make it. Im bummed.
Old 08/04/2006, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Turn the lights off and leave it alone. Its probably just still trying to recover from the ordeal of shipping. There really isn't much you can do for it but let it rest as stress free as possible.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 08/04/2006, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

ok, well i woke up this morining and he still hasnt moved. Again, his swimmerettes and gills are moving. So he is still alive, just extrememly lethargic. It has been 16 hours now. should i still keep the lights off, or can i turn them on?
Old 08/04/2006, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

The behavior you describe is typical of animals that have suffered heat and/or heat stress. If they do not recover in an hour or two, the prognosis is not good.

Are the the raptorial appendages extended? If so, this is another sign that the animal will not recover.

Roy
Old 08/04/2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Not he has them tucked in pretty tightly. It is now noon time EST and he is still on his back. Swimmerettes still moving. But he is not flipping himself over. Another 4 hours it will be 24 hours since introduced. Should i consider this a DOA?? I talked to the seller and he said im covered so if i call him and let him know i will get a replacement.
Old 08/04/2006, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Well, if the raptorial appendages aren't sprung, there still may be hope, but I doubt it.

Roy
Old 08/04/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

damn, I was just watching him, a snail was taunting him, he was very interested ( was really checking him out) but didnt move. THis may sound dumb, does the heat stress cause them to have a type of brain/sensory damage? Like i said its alert, just doesnt wanna move on its own.
Old 08/04/2006, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

When the raptorial appendage is sprung, it appears to be a problem with the specific type of muscle that powers it, but as for the inability to right themselves and walk, I really don't know.

Roy
Old 08/04/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

It will move if enticed by a touch, but not on its own. I talked to the seller and he will issue a refund or replacement if it is still not ok by tomorrow. Lets say it doesnt move, but is still alive, should i give it more time or euthenize it? I hate giving up on animals but also dont want it to starve if it doesnt wanna move on its own.
Old 08/04/2006, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

If it doesn't recover by tomorrow, I would pop it in the freezer.

Roy
Old 08/04/2006, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

ok not what i wanted to hear, thanks Roy
Old 08/04/2006, 04:33 PM
hamster

Gonodactylus smithii, did same exact thing when I received it, and it's fine now. Took a couple days, just wait and see.
Old 08/04/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

ok. Hes still alive and alert, just not moving, snail touched him and he moved so i still have hope. Swimmerettes are moving good, eyes are alert and antennae check stuff out. mines a gonodactylus osteradii
Old 08/06/2006, 01:30 AM
S Oregon Reefkeepers Club

Quote:
Originally posted by reefinnewb
ok. Hes still alive and alert, just not moving, snail touched him and he moved so i still have hope. Swimmerettes are moving good, eyes are alert and antennae check stuff out. mines a gonodactylus osteradii
I always give the animal the benefit of the doubt, How's the little guy now?
Old 08/06/2006, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Still alive and as of last night he was starting to move on his own. I stayed out last night so im not sure how he is today. I told the seller yesterday that he still didnt move as of yesterday morning. He told me he will replace it. Ill have to keep an eye on him, if he starts moving on his own and eating, ill emailhim and let him know that the new guy is still kicking.
Old 08/06/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Well got home and the little guy is no longer with us. Im bummed, i had hope for him.