Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/31/2006, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

backup generator thoughts?

Just wanted to see what folks in the area are using.

It seems like I have two choices- get a generator for what happens here in the midwest most, which is a few hours of power loss associated with storms (Honda EU 2000I seems neighbor friendly) or I go crazy like the CA folks and prepare for ultimate disaster of several days (Generac house unit).

What do people around here use, and has anyone had a day or more of power outage in recent memory?

I"m not really looking for info on battery backup stuff, but really specifically gas/propane run generators.
Old 07/31/2006, 09:43 AM
Missing in Action???

The worst I ever had was two days about three years ago and then saturday I lost power for the day
I have a gas generator plus a friends that I can borrow if mine fails
Old 07/31/2006, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Im about to move into a new house and one of the first things im going to be getting is a house generator that runs off the natural gas line. I know alot of people that are useing it already. It costs a few thousand but I feel is well worth it. I have lived in a house with it before and when its running you cant hear it in the house and never had a neighbour complain. All you have to do is change the oil 2 times a year and it runs once every few weeks at night. It automatically kicks on after a few minutes of power outage and depending on the size can run a few breakers or your whole house. With the riseing tempetures in the summer I just know that there are going to be problems with Exelon or ComEd keeping power constant. If not for the fish and corals I want it for myself to run the AC when the power goes out and its 110 outside.
6 Line Wrasse
180 Gal Reef Ready in Const.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:57 AM
Flips....R'U ?

Man, w/the 950 gal. I would not gamble, specilly U know your area is prone to Black Outs
I would invest on the GENERAC to power on the whole house.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

I have a generac 10kw ( I think) natural gas back up generator bought at Home Depot about 5 years ago for 3000 completely installed.
It seemed to make more sense long term than a battery set-up. It runs everything except the AC, ( I don't think any home units have that much power) and have had no problems w/ it.
I live in Westmont and the longest outage was about 5 hours a few years ago, but we seem to have many "little" outages of < one hour during the summers.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

I still keep battry backups on my computers and tanks just since the power switch to the generators isnt instant. The battries keep the power constant and keeps the pumps and heaters going for the few minutes it takes to turn over. For the AC I should check into that I always just assumed it would run it but never did check. Never had a outtage that was long enough on a hot day to notice a change in tempature of the house.
6 Line Wrasse
Old 07/31/2006, 11:17 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

rxinc did HD do the install on that?

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 07/31/2006, 11:21 AM
Moved

Listen to Menard! I didn't notice that you are going to have a 950gal until he pointed it out. When you invest in an aquarium of that size, it only makes sense to drop a few thousand more on a large automatic generator.

I have a small gasoline powered Honda generator. Whenever the power goes out I have to wake up every 2 hours to fill it w/ gasoline. Yet another reason to get a big unit that runs off of natural gas.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:44 AM
RC Admin

Go read the thread about how one of our TOTM's (SniperSPS) in California just crashed his entire huge tank due to a multi-day power outage from the heat out there.

With that $ investment, you need some serious back-up. Go with the Generac.

It's not the "grandma ran over a power pole and we lost power for a few hours" you should be worried about.

It's the monster storms that sometimes blow through here a la St. Louis where people were out for 5 days+. Reading about those make me lose sleep.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 07/31/2006, 11:45 AM
RC Admin

Timing......
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=897118

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 07/31/2006, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

$3000-5000 for a generator is nothing in compared to the setup and maintenance costs of a 950 gallon tank. Look at it this way, what is $5k in relation to the replacement cost of the livestock alone that you will have in the tank? Because of the storms we have in IL, You WILL lose power for a few hours every year or two. Tell the significant other that the generator is part of your risk mitigation strategy for your reef, because a reef really is an investment (she may catch on that you are lying if she sees all of your receipts, as most investments actually rise in value )

Is Rockford, we lost power on July 4th, 2003 for about 12 hours. However, parts of Rockford lost power for 4 days. My generator came in handy.

Bryan

PS I work for Exelon and I have a generator.
Old 07/31/2006, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

My brother works for Exelon as well . Im getting mine from a Electrican I know and he installs them and does a checkup to make sure its all working as should.
6 Line Wrasse
Old 07/31/2006, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys, it's not really a question of DO I get one, simply which way to go.

Mike, that thread is exactly what kicked me in the butt to get this done sooner rather than later.

Good to see HD does the install on the Generac. I think that 's the way I was leaning.

How loud is the Generac? I was reading in spssniper's thread something about complaining neighbors and noise ordinance's..........

Bryan-- I love the irony there, or is it simply education?
Old 07/31/2006, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Timing is everything...

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-...ight=generator

Menards 3,500 watt on sale for $260 just saved my tail when we lost power for a day when I was out of town.

Hands down, one of the best things I've bought in the last year.
300 Reef and 90 FOWLR; 425LR, with 3" DSB in 215 gal sump/refug and Berliner PowerPro SS twin becket skimmer. 210 Reef; 225 lbs of LR, 300 lb DSB, large W/D, Jebo 520 moded with a becket. 55 hospital.
Old 07/31/2006, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pondfrog
Thanks guys, it's not really a question of DO I get one, simply which way to go.

Mike, that thread is exactly what kicked me in the butt to get this done sooner rather than later.

Good to see HD does the install on the Generac. I think that 's the way I was leaning.

How loud is the Generac? I was reading in spssniper's thread something about complaining neighbors and noise ordinance's..........

Bryan-- I love the irony there, or is it simply education?
Education. I have seen the damage that a storm can do to our grid. If I would have been planning the 400 gallon reef when I built our house, I would have a 15kW Generac generator installed as the house was built.

Bryan
Old 07/31/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

I think you live up my way...

The Home Depot on 31 & 14 was having a generator sale when I was there last week. I spent a little time looking thru the options having lost power twice in July; however I didnt notice any propane models, just gas.

A decent sized Briggs & Stratton model was around $500 (5,000-6,000 Watts)
Old 07/31/2006, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

I guess this was sort of my dilemma.

Do I get the 5-6000 Watt cheaper gasoline version- run my tank and forget about the house. Unfortunately it seems as though those guys 1. need to be refilled often in extended problems and 2. don't have an automatic turn on

Or pay 8 times as much and get one to run the whole house.
Especially given power outages tend to run on the hours here and not the days..............
Not trying to be cheap, but I've never had a generator for my house and having a tank, doesn't necessarily mean I need one now. I just really need one for my tank.

HD seems to carry "Guardian" brand. Is that the same as the Generac brand?

I'm gonna stop by HD on the way home to get an installation quote.
Old 07/31/2006, 01:27 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

I don't think they are the same pondfrog. Someone above said they got the Generac there 5 yrs ago.

It's the dilemma I am pondering too. Power goes out for first time in our 6 yrs in the house last week. Only out 4 hrs but could have been worse...

You have one big system there. Not sure what pump or should I say pumps you are going to have to use for that. But I would imagine it'll eat up a good chunk of the 5000watt generator on startup.

But in general on portable generators, if they have a good sized tank (more than 3 gallons) you should get 8hrs or more running at half load. My understanding is you don't really want to exceed half load continuous use by too much.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 07/31/2006, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

What would it take to run a few Tunze's close to the surface so they are pulling in air? I think that would do it for the oxygen levels??
Now for the temp...what would it take to run a freezer? I'm sure I could keep my tank relatively cool with frozen 2 liter bottles...not sure about your tank though Steve.

PK
Old 07/31/2006, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

You 'can' get an autostart for a portable generator, all it requires is a battery with a relay and a starter. Most generator suppliers have them, I believe it was a $150 option for my 6kW Honda Generator.

However, I'd vote for the 8x built with the home version because it will work even if you are away on vacation. With the portable generator, you have to move it (too heavy for wife), connect a plug, turn it on and refill it with gasoline.

For my own piece of mind, I would get an installed generator, but that is just me.

BTW, Steve Weast (oregonreef.com) has two 100% capacity generators for his reef. He takes redundancy to a whole new level.

Bryan
Old 07/31/2006, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Maybe a frozen keg!
But yes, that's the idea. Do I really need to run the entire system or just a few pumps for 5 hours or so. I mean at 950g I'm all for overkill (obviously) but I'd rather drop 5K on coral than a generator! (Even though I am still leaning that way......I tihink I am trying to talk myself out of it! )

I've got the tank up and running.... no leaks now and all the rock is in.
Gonna put a few fish in tonight.......

I'll have enough progress to post some pics in a thread soon....
Old 07/31/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

BTW 3,500 peak watts at 110v = 31 amps peak and 27 constant.

That is enough to drive the 1.5 hp return pump for the 90 and 300 (12ish amps), the fridge (8ish) a couple lights and a fan or heater if necessary. I don't think you need more around here, but I wouldn't go less if you are looking into a 450 gal tank. Of course, bigger is always better and a 5,500 watt unit will get you 50 amps. That should be enough to drive almost everything in your house with amps to spare.
300 Reef and 90 FOWLR; 425LR, with 3" DSB in 215 gal sump/refug and Berliner PowerPro SS twin becket skimmer. 210 Reef; 225 lbs of LR, 300 lb DSB, large W/D, Jebo 520 moded with a becket. 55 hospital.
Old 07/31/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Oh, excluding MH lights. The corals can live without them for a day or so. It will also keep the heat down in the tank.
Old 07/31/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Would this be a good choice for the money?

just add "http" before the link below. For whatever reason it gets cutoff when I put the whole link together. Basically it is a Briggs and Stratton for $700 - 5 gallon tank.

://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@2048648674.1154376643@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchgaddihggmdhgcgelceffdfgidgim.0&MID=9876[/url]

Last edited by anjhof; 07/31/2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07/31/2006, 03:16 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

linky no worky