Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2006, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

New 30Gal

Starting a new 30gal fish only tank how long should it take to cycle and should I add damsels for the cycle or can I just let it cycle with water only.
Old 07/26/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

no do not add damsels..and do you have live rock or no? if you've got cured live rock it would be ready in a few days...if you have uncured, or no rock, then it can take up to about 6 weeks..and dont add the damsels...use a dead cocktail shrimp instead.

i've also heard that you can pee in ur tank to cycle it, but i wouldnt do that
Old 07/26/2006, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

A nitrogen cycle can take anywhere from two to a few weeks. I would not subject a fish to those harsh conditions. Get a cup full of sand from an established tank or use an adequate ammount of live rock. Gauge the progress of the cycle with Ammonia (NH4), Nitrite (NO2) and Nitrate (NO3) test kits. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07/26/2006, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I cant imagine why you would pee in your tank, although Pee has high levels of amonia..still just say no thats weird and just not good for anybody especailly if your seem
Old 07/26/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Should take several weeks to cycle. Make sure you are checking your param's along the way. After your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have all spiked and gone back down to zero, you should be good to go. Are you going to add live rock or live sand? You can use LR to cycle the tank, but don't use a damsel for cycling. If not you can pick up a little from your lfs (or neighboring hobbyist) just to seed your tank.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."
-Colin Powel
Old 07/26/2006, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Put about 30 lbs live rock in that size tank and you will more than likely cycle in a few days. But remember you just have to go slow with saltwater tanks. Add fish slowly and dont over stock. Lots of luck.
Old 07/26/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I also put ten gal of saltwater from my 55gal reef dont want any live rock in this tank just fish should I add a clean-up crew now or after the cycle.