Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Question Anthias

I would like to have a shoal of anthias in my 75G reef. I have a few questions about these guys:

1. Any suggestion which specific species are suitable for my tank? how many should i get? Can i get different species? I want to have a school where all of them swim together

2. I've heard that i have to feed them a few times a day, correct? What to feed them and how often?

3. Any additional info about them i should know before getting them?

TIA
Old 07/14/2006, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

1. I also have a 75 and I have a trio of Bartlett's anthias, which i think are perfect. The number depends on your bioload, but i would say three is the minimum for a "school". I have heard of people keeping different species and they school together.

2. If you can get them eating dry foods like pellets or flake, then you can buy an automatic feeder, so they can be fed multiple times a day, but always feed them frozen at least once a day. I personally feed mine at least twice a day, usually always my homemade frozen mixture, but sometimes some flake food.
Old 07/14/2006, 12:58 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

3. I have 6 lyretails and they don't really school. My theory is that fish will not school unless they feel threatened. In nature, that is the reason small fish stick in schools; to appear like a much larger mass to a predator and hopefully deterring an attack.

Mine have found out that there aren't any fish threatening to eat them so they swim wherever they please.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 07/14/2006, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

hihi guys ... just saw a bunch of beautiful evansi anthias ... anyone with experience keeping these?
Old 07/14/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I had Sunburst before twice (unsuccessful) in a 125g. I now have a pair in a 75g with lower light which also means I can keep the temperature lower. This pair is doing well.

I have bartlets in my 210, not as colorful. The Dispar (IMO) look a little better and will also do the flake thing, which is good.

Overhangs, good water movement seems to be the common theme. At least for some, I think lower light and cooler water - but just an opinion.
Old 07/14/2006, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

You guys think i can get 3 sunbursts for my 75G reef? Sunbursts are the only anthias i've seen at my LFS recently. There are alot of caves and overhand in my tank. The light is only alil more than 3WPG.

So, i have to feed them multiple times a day? At least how many time? How much?

1package, what do u mean by "will also do the flake thing?"

Thanks for the replies
Old 07/14/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Only keep them with peaceful fish.
Old 07/14/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Other than barlets, what other species can i get?
Old 07/17/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

FishNuts - sorry did not respond.

Flake thing - I could not get my Sunburst to do flakes. Lots of times whatever fish see others eating they will eat. My PBT would not eat flake food until realizing the others were. I have seen Dispar and I have Bartletts that eat flakes. My Sunburst see the coral beauty and Tomini Tang eat flakes but they will spit them out.

I am not so impressed with the Bartlets, I got em but I don't know. I really like the looks of the Sunburst. The bartlets are also more active though, too active. If startled they can and will easily jump out of the water or into an overflow, as will the Dispar. I do not have so much experience with any other than these three. My Bartletts constantly hide under the rocks expect when feeding, you almost need to ring a bell for them. The Sunburst sit out in full view most of the time. The Dispar seem to swim around more, but I am sure that others have seen just the opposite, so it is just one guy's observation.

Whichever route you go, be aware of the jumping and sometimes they do not eat so well initially although live brine should work.
Old 07/17/2006, 10:03 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by 1package
FishNuts - sorry did not respond.

. My Bartletts constantly hide under the rocks expect when feeding, you almost need to ring a bell for them.
Not a good sign/normal. Something is bothering them. Even when mine were chased by clowns, they still were always out.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 07/17/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

I have a large center cave/overhang with a 2600 Seio behind it. They stay in the shade in the overhang. Do not see harassing going on but that does not mean it is not happening. They were a group of 4 but now down to 2, this likely has something to do with it as well.
Old 07/17/2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I got a female lyretail yesterday. She ate garlic soaked mysis shrimps like a pig.

Should i get a male and another female lyretail to get a school of anthias? or Can i get 2 females of 2 other different species and still get a school?