Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

20 Gallon Reef Tank

Let me first start out by explaining how this tank came into play. Well I have had a 55 gallon FOWLR tank running for about 6-7 months which is great but I really wanted to try my hand at coral but didn't want to spend alot of money on upgrading my lighting so I decided to downgrade to a 20 gallon long. I originally had 4 fish in my 55 which consisted of 1 Firefish, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and 1 Sandsifting Goby but obviously I couldn't keep all those fish in a 20g tank so I only kept the Firefish. Don't worry the other fish found good homes with local reefers.

I transferred most of the sand from the 55 which gave me a nice substrate depth of 1.5" to 2" in some areas. I plan to mount 2x65watt PC's into the canopy, which came from the Current USA fixture. I also am using the two Maxijet 1200's that gives me great flow(Approximately 29x turnover) throughout the tank which should work out good since I plan to add coral. I would maybe like to add another small fish sometime in the future, as well as a Cleaner shrimp. I will list specifications but everything is from my 55 gallon tank including the water.

Equipment:

20 gallon long tank (30"Lx12"Wx12"H)
DIY canopy with 2x65watt PC lighting installed
AquaC Remora protein Skimmer
2 Maxjet 1200's
Coralife digital thermometer
11lbs of Fiji live rock
Roughly 30lbs of fine white sand

Inhabitants:

1 Firefish
1 Strawberry Crab
1 Whelk
1 Strombus Snail
2 Cerith Snails
4 Nassarius Snails
4 Astraea Snails

Future Coral Plans:

I will keep softies and LPS in this tank. My rough list of coral that I would like to keep:

Zoos
Mushrooms
Candy Cane
Frogspawn or Torch
Brain
Favia
Xenia

That is it for my introductory post on chronicling the process of my 20 gallon reef tank. I will post pictures of the DIY canopy I'm in the process of building as soon as I can. Comments are always welcomed.
Old 06/16/2006, 01:38 PM
Registered ID10T

Sounds like you are on the right track.
I'd either add at least 9 more lbs of rock or else i'd junk the fiji (if it looks crappy) and order 20-25 lbs of marshall islands live rock from Premium Aquatics. Its by far the best rock i've seen. They are a really great place to order from. The rock has awesome shapes and colors.
Stewie
Old 06/16/2006, 06:38 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

i think 2 MJ1200 will be too much flow, they will kick corals arses

i would go with one with q hydfor, or two 400, or a 900 in the middle or something

for SPS that might be good, but IMO that will creat spots of flow too strong for anything

the regularPH creat a jet of super high flow, tyhat will tear skin off sps and anything else, a hydor will make less flow, and move it around

JMO though, dont take only my word for this

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 06/17/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Stewie: I didn't want to add anymore live rock since I hope to house alot of coral in this tank and need the room. I also created many cave and overhangs for the fish and inverts. Btw the Fiji looks great and I've always liked Fiji.

Mr. Pink Floyd: After having both the powerheads running I see that there is way too much flow that is why I will be placing them on timers so only one is running at a time.

Canopy is pretty much finished but I still need to purchase a couple hinges and will probably install a fan. Here are a couple pics of the inside of the canopy.

Old 06/17/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Update: I finished the canopy and placed a piece of acrylic over the tank to prevent splashing water. I took some full tank shots with the canopy I built, and yes I know the right top board lifts up but hey this is my first DIY canopy.

I still need to pick up a black background to hide the wires.
Old 06/18/2006, 10:19 AM
Go Gators!

sweet aquascaping
Old 06/25/2006, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Update: The tank is doing good and I'm getting some good coralline algae growth. I have added a small Green Clown Goby which is doing well and is eating most of the foods I offer. I will be adding a few more snails to my tank and I should be adding my first coral to this tank soon. Here is a full tank shot and a few pictures of my Firefish

Full Tank Shot

Closeup Pics Of My Firefish

Old 06/25/2006, 08:18 PM
Go Gators!

nice! Can't wait to see it when you add corals.
Old 06/25/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

whats your temperature hanging at? from what i see your not using any heater right? im def following this along as i have a 20L just laying around begging for attention ha
Old 06/25/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fast94m
[B]whats your temperature hanging at? from what i see your not using any heater right?
Since Summer is here I have not been using my heater but my temp has been staying quite stable. My temperature stays between 77-82F throughout the day.
Old 06/27/2006, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

A few pics I took of my snail.

Old 06/27/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

i agree great aquascaping
nice tank looking awesome
and the pictures are amazing also
Old 07/01/2006, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Update: Here are a few pictures of my Zoa colony and new Cleaner shrimp I add to the tank.

Small Zoa Colony

Cleaner Shrimp

Old 07/01/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

that cleaner shrimp will be a huge monster in no time, it seemed like only yesterday mine was that big
Old 07/01/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Anyone know how big those skunk cleaners get or how long they live. I've had mine for 14 mos and it is almost 3x as big as when I purchased it. He's getting huge (for a shrimp). I know. Oxymoron.

Honestly he's over 3" long and his antenae are over 6" across...

When are they eating size btw?!?
Old 07/02/2006, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Unbelieveable, thats all I can say!!! I really like the snail.
Old 07/02/2006, 12:53 PM
Go Gators!

yes nice tank.
Old 07/06/2006, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments. I should have a update with pics soon.
Old 07/06/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

What you have there looks very much like what I would like to do for my first tank. I have been looking at the all-in-one's but I'm wondering if this solution isn't cheaper. What do you think it would cost me to do a set up like this?

Looking at your list:

20 gallon long tank (30"Lx12"Wx12"H)
DIY canopy with 2x65watt PC lighting installed
AquaC Remora protein Skimmer
2 Maxjet 1200's
Coralife digital thermometer

I'm wondering were the filter is? Is that what the AquaC Remora is? Meaning, I'm guessing, it filters and skims? (Sorry, I don't know much)

Also, I guess I would only need the one 1200 or maybe a 900?

Are the 2x65 PCs plenty for the 20 long?

Thanks for any advice and help you can provide.

Jason
Old 07/12/2006, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

How much money did it take to put that canopy together? I have two brand new power compact bulbs sitting around. What kind of ballast setup did you buy, and where did you get it?
Old 07/12/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aumfc

I'm wondering were the filter is? Is that what the AquaC Remora is? Meaning, I'm guessing, it filters and skims? (Sorry, I don't know much)

Also, I guess I would only need the one 1200 or maybe a 900?

Are the 2x65 PCs plenty for the 20 long?
I'm running a Remora which is the protein skimmer and I just added a AquaClear 30 with some carbon. How much flow you need depends on your setup but I have both Maxijet 1200's running and it is just the correct amount of flow for this tank. 130watt PC's is enough for softies and a few LPS which is all I plan to keep in this tank.
Old 07/12/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Secondgen
How much money did it take to put that canopy together? I have two brand new power compact bulbs sitting around. What kind of ballast setup did you buy, and where did you get it?
It cost me around $50 to build. I just took the ballast, wiring, bulbs, etc out of a Current USA fixture and mounted it into my canopy.
Old 07/12/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

I recently purchased a small Capnella coral. Here are some pics of it:

Old 07/12/2006, 12:35 PM
Losing my mind

Looks awesome! Make sure you keep us updated on your progress
Old 07/12/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

how long has it taken for you to get good skimmate out of the remora? I put one on my 24, and after 1.5 months of adjusting, i still dont get anything but a few bubbles and clearish liquid (prob. conditioner)