Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2006, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb giant sqaumosa!!!!!!!!!!

I was at my local aquatics store yesterday and one of the guys offered me a clam proposition. Let me know what you think about this. A 28" sqaumosa that is about 10-12" wide for $150. They have had this clam in their store for 7 years and it is pretty hardy. I have a gallon reef tank w/ great lighting. I also have one maxima lready only about 3". Will this clam suck all of the nutrients out and be a burden or will I have the largest clam in Indiana.

Thanks for the replies
Old 06/15/2006, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Hmmmm. The world record squamosa was just a hair over 16 inches in length, so I'm thinking that's not a squamosa. It's a gigas.

You didn't say how big your tank is, but yes, it'll probably drain the calcium out on a daily basis, and the ammonia/nitrate, too.
Old 06/15/2006, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

My tank is 100 gallons. Your are probably right I'm not up on my clam knowledge. Thanx
Old 06/15/2006, 10:04 PM
SPS Freak

I wouldn't do it personally. A clam that size has a good chance of dying when it is moved.
Old 06/16/2006, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, probably a gigas. Although I don't know why people say they will die if you move them...very odd. Clam farmers pull these big boys/girls (hermaphrodites after all) out of the water and let them sit in the equatorial sun for and hour or so to stress them out in order to get them to spawn...If they died every time they did this, they wouldnt be in business for very long.

Bill
Old 06/16/2006, 09:26 PM
SPS Freak

I've just heard that many times a clam that is very large in a tank has a poor chance of living when moved. I'm not sure if it the way it was pulled out or if it is because of the general extreme change from tank to tank. I honestly wouldn't buy one that size in the first place because they will get even get bigger.
Old 06/16/2006, 10:35 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
or if it is because of the general extreme change from tank to tank.

------------------------------------------------
Old 06/17/2006, 12:29 AM
Midnight thread lurker

Yeah, I remember when Chris at ReeferMadness got in this absolutely stunning blue teardrop maxima that was about 8" long (it was gigantic). But unfortunately, it died; he didn't say why but I suspect either shipping or that it didn't aclimate well.
Old 06/17/2006, 04:33 PM
All will be well.

I used to live in Indianapolis and I have a feeling I know that clam- Is it at Abyss?
Old 06/19/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

The gigas below has been througha good amount. It was in our pond that had gotten a hole in the liner. so we moved it to a refugium if a 100 gallon refugium. Next it moved to a 150, then finally back to the partially cycled 900 gal pond. Yes, clams can live even when taken from a big tank to a small tank.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 06/21/2006, 11:11 PM
clown addict

^^^^

Nice Gigas!!!
Old 06/22/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Is a 100 gallon tank big enough for a clam that big? Sounds like it would take up an awful lot of room.
Old 06/23/2006, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

The clam was in the refugium of a 100 gallon tank(which thankfully had a MH over it, for a short amount of time( about 3 days). Next we made room in a 150 untli we could put it back in the pond.