Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/12/2006, 10:21 PM
~~~Big O~~~

whats a good wavemaker? wave2k anygood?

75 g folr tank -- eventually would like to upgrade to 120 plus.

I have a scwd in there now --but doesnt move enough waterfor my taste.

how are the sea swirls or wave 2 k?

what s the peoplez favorite right now?
Old 05/12/2006, 11:23 PM
Team RC Member

I got a half-inch sea swirl for my corner tank. The sweep is 90 degrees, and I'm not seeing a great deal of reduction of flow. In my geometry of flow, the corals are getting a lot of bounce-back off the front glass, which adds up to chaos, which they seem to like. I'm very pleased with it, and it's stopped the dartfish hanging in one spot always facing the same direction. They and the watchman have to move about much more than previously, and I think it is healthier for them.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/12/2006, 11:42 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Oceans Motions

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 05/13/2006, 12:59 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
Oceans Motions
+1!

I run a 4-way, but a super squirt would be nice on a smaller system. I'm thinking about some revolutions as well to really mix it up a bit
Old 05/13/2006, 09:25 AM
~~~Big O~~~

thanks --didnt know about ocean motions--I was looking at the site --looks great, cost is high though. i like the video with the revolutions going off...and the tsunami looks sic.

here's a site that rates the wavemakers pretty well and has a nice video of the wave2k in action

http://reefshow.com/html/modules.php...rticle&sid=156

after going to the wave2k site I decided on this cuz of price and ease of installation

After I saw the green chromis playing in the waves --I was sold
http://www.wave2k.com/product-features.htm

Last edited by Ironsheikh; 05/13/2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05/13/2006, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

What about the Tunze Wave generator?
Old 05/13/2006, 11:57 AM
~~~Big O~~~

I was just thinking---- anybody ever come up with a way to run 2 scwd together based on melev's design --it would work like the squirt at 1/4 the price
Old 05/13/2006, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

I have two scwds on my tank. They are powered by a mag24. They not set up on any sort of cycle, they just run.
Old 05/13/2006, 01:42 PM
~~~Big O~~~

I have my spray bars below the top water and the surface looked stagnant , thatswhy I was looking for a new wavemaker--so I raised the spary bars up a little. I gained an appreciation for the scwd again. I have it running with a cap 2200 --I like the timing and the gradual switch of the sides but wish it pushed more water -- I think running a mag 24 and 2 scwds would def work better. where do you put the returns? I was thinking one scwd for the top of the tank and one for the bottom
Old 05/13/2006, 02:35 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Oceansmotions.
Old 05/13/2006, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Tunze wave boc is by far the best wave maker on the market.
Old 05/13/2006, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I love my Wave2K! Have it in a std. 75 and I'm actually looking at rigging up a dimmer on it for lower flow periods!! It moves water like nothing elso out there! Every other gadget might be great, but nothing else moves this volume in a purely laminar flow. I could go on, and on...
Old 05/13/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Ask anyone on here who has had a Wave2k or any other wave maker out there and then bought a Tunze wave box and ask them which one worked the best.
Old 05/13/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Again, best is relative according to what you are looking for. The wavebox is great and moves a ton of water with a pretty turbulent flow, but the Wave2K is different. You simply cant talk apples to apples between a wavebox and a wave2k. Which one is best? What do you want it to do? Move a lot of water? What kind of movement? The questions could go on. Given, Tunze has a great longstanding reputation and Wave2K is still relatively new. Tunze will cost an arm and a leg, Wave2K will cost you a finger or two! lol. Anyway, I digress... as I said earlier, I love my wave2k and would recommend it to most anyone who is looking for high volume laminar water movement.
Old 05/14/2006, 12:03 AM
~~~Big O~~~

Yes, I'm sure the Tunze is great but dont care about the tank enough to buy a $450 wavemaker. I'm talking $250 or under. so the wave2k gets my vote or even the oceansmotions if I wanted to spend a little more and play around w/ DIY.

I have a 75g fish only w/ live rock, superskimmer 125, orbit for light, would pay no more than $30-60 for a fish, etc at $400+ the wavemaker would cost more than the lighting AND filtration Or pay for a new 120g tank AND stand.

so any wavemaker over $250-300 is out of the question for me.

but yes, I'm looking for the ebb and flow similar to the ocean
and not just 4 narrow streams of water shot into the tank
Old 05/14/2006, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Tunze will cost an arm and a leg, Wave2K will cost you a finger or two!
I don't think I quite understand this. The Wave2K flow chart says 2 corner boxes for reasonable flow in a 90. A single Tunze would do this. 2 corner Wave2K's will be almost the same as a Tunze (~400 bucks).

I have been looking into getting a wave box of some kind but haven't been able to find much information on them. Do they interfere with overflows? Can you put them behind rockwork?
Old 05/14/2006, 10:26 AM
~~~Big O~~~

I was looking at the chart too -- the center units are stronger than the corners apparently -- so 1 center looks better than 2 corners.

Or I was thinking 1 centerand 1 scwd if you needed to

I 'm debating between 1 center unit OR buying another scwd and a 1200+ water pump and running 2 scwd. But, for that price I might as well spend $60 bucks more and have the wavebox, no?
Old 05/14/2006, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

From the online video there seems to be a lot of surface bubbles with the wave2k and by the time you buy the corners and the centers wouldn't you be better off with the Tunze?

I'm debating this same question. I can get the Tunze at cost, cause my LFS wants to see it in action, and if he likes it he will start selling them.
Old 05/14/2006, 02:03 PM
~~~Big O~~~

I'd like to see more videos of wavemakers in action--
tunze, wave2k, and oceanmotions ...especially the revolutions
Old 05/14/2006, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

What kind of circulation pump are you running and what Is the gph.
I'm working on a system on my new 240 where I'm using parts off a sprinkler system and using the sprinkler controller as the controller for the wave controller all parts should be under $100.

If I want to get crazy I mite add a few ocean motion revolutions to the mix.
Old 05/14/2006, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

I'd like to see videos as well. Also, from reading about the tunze wave box, it looks like it pushes water out of the top that transiently raises the water level on that side of the tank -- I think I read that it is around 3/4" for a tank of my size (48" long). I'm not sure how this up and down movement of the top of the water would effect the function of my overflow and whether or not the durso would go nuts.

Jack
Old 05/14/2006, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Anyone using the wave2k on a 220g?
Old 05/14/2006, 11:05 PM
~~~Big O~~~

i used to have an eheim 2229 wetdry canister hooked up to my tank w/ a hang on coralife superskimmer. when the cannister fills up with water, my tank water level would drop about 1-2 inches then the canister shoots out the water and it would rise again. The skimmer still worked, but not as efficiently cuz the bubbles in the riser tube would go up and down, plus when the tank was full of water it would be above the bubble box and throw micro bubbles into the tank, so yes, I would avoid anything that would cause your tankwater to rise and fall
Old 05/15/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I had a thread a while ago in which I extensively reviewed mine.

Bottom line:

I like it. I really do.

BUT - I wouldn't recommend it for anything less than a 70-75G tank.

The noise was really bad initially, but once I got the belt tightened properly, the belt noise isn't bad at all. The only complaint I have about it at this point is the CLUNK noise it makes when the piston reverses direction, but I intend to contact Mike at Wave2k about this, as I'm sure it's not normal.

The flow and wave motion it creates is outstanding - I absolutely love it.

The one problem I did have with this is that some of the water kept splashing up over the rim of my tank - I had to fashion a "guard" to prevent it. But now that it's there, there's no more problems.

The thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=820354
Old 05/15/2006, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I have a thread somewhere with video of my Tunze wave box, do search with my user name.