Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's the best lighting setup?
Power Compact (PC) Flourescent 2 4.76%
Very High Output (VHO) (T-12) 2 4.76%
High Output (HO) (T-5's) 6 14.29%
Metal Halide (MH) 10 23.81%
MH/VHO combo 16 38.10%
MH/HO combo 1 2.38%
MH/combo 5 11.90%
Other(please explain this answer) 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05/12/2006, 03:18 PM
President emeritus, ORCA

What's the best lighting

A lot of debate...let's settle it the old fashioned way with a good ole poll. If you have a second please give reasoning (best lighting, best coloration, highest output, longer bulb life, electric costs, heat, etc...).
Old 05/12/2006, 03:24 PM
President emeritus, ORCA

I like the MH/VHO combo. Although this usually costs more for the setup, costs more on elc, heats up the tank and the house, and you have to replace bulbs more often, the color that you get from it is amazing. I have seen more growth since my inception of this lighting system than ever before. I use MH/VHO, VHO, and PC on different tanks, but the MH/VHO is my favorite for color and growth.
Old 05/12/2006, 04:45 PM
Keeper of Tangs

check this tank out he is running 32 T5 HOs at 54W, for a 1300 gallon tank. If you do the math that is only roughly 1.3 watts a gallon. This is why I recommend T5's. The europeons are changing theirs T5 HOs with the germans bulbs for a reason.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

also heres a chart that shows light spectrums

http://aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17233

if you went to the store and said you were running 1.3 watts a gallon they would think your insane. But just from what i have learned and studied the the T5 HO's are unbelieveable.
Just thought i would share
Old 05/15/2006, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

As an old salty I agree with MH/VHO. MH 10K or less with 03 act VHO's.
I can't say I have tried T5's and cannot vote with it or against it.
I'm hoping with my new tank I can do some good old testing like I use to.
Old 05/15/2006, 09:55 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I agree with Thor. The t5's are super bright. I am going to go with t5's for my 125 gallon. Who wants to buyt expensive MH bulbs every 6 months- year. Not me. Plus I do not want to run a chiller. MH's give off way too much heat.
This is going to be what I am going to run on 125 gallon. Not bad for $339.

lights on ebay

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 05/15/2006, 10:57 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

I think it depends alot on what you're putting in the tank. Since I switched the sps and soft coral tanks in the shop, the sps are really coloring up. They were under 10K Ushio MH with VHO and actinic supplements but are now under 20K XM's with VHO supplements and there is a big difference in just over a week. The soft coral are doing really well under the 10K's. My new 300 gallon at home will have 400 watt XM's with Actinic and VHO supplements but I'll be focusing on sps and lps. Great threads Thor...those tanks are about the best sps tanks I've seen. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05/15/2006, 11:00 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Remind me too, next time you're in, to tell you the theory about XM lights I learned in Chicago...pretty interesting.
Old 05/16/2006, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

I have tried them all. And nothing gives makes the water shimmer like the MH/VHO combination. But it costs a lot to get that shine....

We are currently running T5's, and while they are bright - the tank just doesn't look as nice as it did under MH/VHO's.
Old 05/16/2006, 11:23 AM
Fish Nutzi

Fuzzy, you using Geisemann bulbs?
Old 05/16/2006, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No Nemo
I think it depends alot on what you're putting in the tank. Since I switched the sps and soft coral tanks in the shop, the sps are really coloring up. They were under 10K Ushio MH with VHO and actinic supplements but are now under 20K XM's with VHO supplements and there is a big difference in just over a week. The soft coral are doing really well under the 10K's. My new 300 gallon at home will have 400 watt XM's with Actinic and VHO supplements but I'll be focusing on sps and lps. Great threads Thor...those tanks are about the best sps tanks I've seen. Thanks for sharing!
I'm thinking about the 400watt XM 20k for my new 180. But, I have the Hamilton 14k on my 90 and really like them. Decisions!! What do you think Marcye?
Old 05/16/2006, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I have the Tek Light T5's with ATI German bulbs. 2 - 10K's, and 1 ea of the actinics. The bulbs are a little over a year old now. I'm going to see if they make it thru the summer. Then I'll replace with the new Blue actinic and maybe the 60/40..... I haven't decided yet......
I'd like to get a 8 bulb fixture - but I'm right on the verge of needing a chiller ( darn Velocity T1 pump )

I just bought my wife a new Harley - so I'm stuck between upgrading my tank or more Chrome
Old 05/16/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

While I am a big fan of both t5s and mh/vho combo. Either route you go is great. T5s are superb as long as you have individual reflectors, with out it, it is a waste, dave you may want to reconsider that set up on ebay, its a single reflector, you're going to be losing a lot of light, also not many companies last i checked made 6ft bulbs for t5s, if you are insistant on going t5's, on a 6ft tank i'd recommend two 3ft setups. T5s are only going to get better. however i can not justify its pricing, and the loss of the shimmer effect is something that would weigh heavy on me if i had to give it up. I've been running mh for 3yrs now and never had to use a chiller, my tank never swings more then .3ths of a degree, from 80.8-81.1. 120$ for two mh bulbs or 120(in 6bulb config) 6bulbs on a t5 either way same money, i use mh bulbs for a min of 10-12months, at 8hours a day. I would love to get a tek light set up on my next tank and i am still weighing the option. I've read numerous times over and spoke with the t5 guru grimreefer about t5s they do lose their strength heavily after 5-6mnths and any of the hardcore sps tanks w/ t5s have stated that the bulbs do get changed frequently. If its on a fish only or softy/lps then thats one thing. not saying sps cant be done, obviously its been proven that it can be but its much more costly the t5 route, which is a big reason holding me back on them. I think as advances are made on t5s and now with uv coming out w/ t5s they will only get better, its still a fairly new technology. I gladly welcome it to the hobby. I think its a great alternative to mh but thats it, its not any cheaper or better. As far as the watts per gallon comment, its pretty much a void idea at this point as most hobbiest now know its more about light effeciency, spread and par then a watt per gallon, some stores will still use it as a reference but its a vague one at that. Anyways i know it may seem i am MH biased, but its proven itself time and time again. And while i am itching to get further into T5's and try them out, until its more cost effective and the technology advances a little further. I may have to hold off... for now
Old 05/16/2006, 09:06 PM
Fish Nutzi

If you go with T5s stick with Geisemann. The others do not compare. Got 6 on the store 110 display reef with individual reflectors. Stick with 11K and true actinics.