Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2006, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Tangs

i HAVE A 72 GALLON BOW FRONT SALTWATER...NEW TO THE HOBBY HAD TANK 4 MONTHS...JUST PUT MY FIRST FISH..2 TANGS, YELLOW HAWAIIN AND SAILFIN..WATER LEVELS GOOD..HEALTHY YELLOW TANG DIED AFTER 5 DAYS..DO YOU THINK THE SAILFIN KILLED HIM..PLEASE ADVISE
Old 05/08/2006, 01:39 AM
Bee Wrangler

Impossible to know without first posting your water parameters...

I'll leave the 'tang issue' to someone else :P
Old 05/08/2006, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

wow....read about fish before you buy them
Old 05/08/2006, 02:23 AM
Premium Member

Povsan,

Unless the Sailfin was much bigger I seriously doubt the YT succombed to him. It has been my experience as well that Sailfins are somewhat hardier then YT's, especially when first introduced to a system. What the other guys are saying is that your tank is too small for 2 tangs. Even so, and given your newness to the hobby, the water parameters were most likely the culprit unless you have seen "spots" on the fish called Ich.

Assuming you haven't then, and with the search function limited to new members, what do you mean when you say "water levels good" ? How are you testing? And what exactly are you testing for?

BTW, welcome to RC. Don't let the hazing scare you away...feel free to ask.
Old 05/08/2006, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

[flamealert]

Last edited by geo; 05/08/2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05/08/2006, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

WOW some of those comments are a little harsh. Granted the purpose behind them is correct. The tank is definately to small for two tangs, but I agree though that its most likely your water quality that caused this problem.

If you could give us some test results that would help out alot
Old 05/08/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, cut the guy some slack, he obvioulsy cares enough about his situation to post here and find the root of the problem. We've all made mistakes in this hobby that've caused the loss of livestock and the best thing you can do is research what you're doing and learn so that it doesn't happen again.
Old 05/08/2006, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah, cut the guy some slack, he obvioulsy cares enough about his situation to post here and find the root of the problem. We've all made mistakes in this hobby that've caused the loss of livestock and the best thing you can do is research what you're doing and learn so that it doesn't happen again.
I totally agree. This guy definitely wants to know where he went wrong. This is a great place don't let these initial bad vibes keep you away.

Personally I too think your tank is too small for two tangs but I would say that you added too much too fast and maybe had an ammonia spike that got the yellow tang.

If you don't have test kits get some as you are going to need them. The general consensus is that salifert makes great kits that are reliable.

Try and do a little more research before purchasing livestock in the future as well. The animals are depending on you.

Good Luck,
C.G.
Old 05/08/2006, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

I agree cut the guy some slack, who hasn't bought things on impulse or made mistakes.....My question would be if you went 4 months without adding fish , how did you cycle your tank, live rock? shrimp? Did you watch and test your water thru the cycle?
Old 05/08/2006, 10:23 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

I fail to see how that attitude is at all helpful or appreciated on RC.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)

Last edited by geo; 05/08/2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05/08/2006, 10:32 AM
Moved On

Location: From NYC, currently serving time in Hattiesburg, MS
Well, you live and your learn. Everyone makes mistakes, I know I've made my share of them and I consider myself a noob still. But at least this guy started in the right direction. In addition to what every one else said, the fish that you bought might have been cyanide caught and so it might not have been your fault at all. That said, you still need to make sure of optimum water quality in your tank to provide for a healthy environment for your fish. Tangs, unless you have a huge aquarium, are best kept singly in a tank your size. If you don't already have them, buy those test kits. You can start with Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrites, pH etc. Alk, Ca, Mg etc you can wait a little bit for. And last but not least, research, research, and research BEFORE you buy.

HTHs
Old 05/08/2006, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

I can understand someone asking for advice and I've always been more than happy to give it, I've just got a soft spot for any animal and it pains me to see [violation] buying things without reading the first thing about them. We already shorten their lifespan by keeping them in captivity the best we can do is ensure we give them the best possible and cleanest life. I do apologise but there have been many of these threads recently and I'd compare it to buying a dog and keeping it in a vivarium.

Feeding it lettuce because you 'like the look of them' but oh, forget about doing some actually research and maybe getting a few books out of the library.

Last edited by geo; 05/08/2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05/08/2006, 12:18 PM
Carpe Noctem

Wooooo-sahhhhhh... Calm Ese...

First off:

povsan,
[welcome]

Second, I am sorry about your losses. As you can see from a few people above, the hobby is taken quite seriously here. I hope that you can take some time and read everything you can here at RC. I'm guessing that your purchase was probably based on the LFS and some dabbling in the hobby. I encourage you to stick with it, but read and study a bunch.

Here is a good place to start..
So, you want to start a Marine tank
Old 05/08/2006, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this person never came back to this site, after these attacks. Where in his post does it say he just threw 2 fish in without doing any research, or went to the LFS and thought they looked cool so he bought them??? Or didn't test any water parameters???? So quick to jump to conclusions...
This hobby is for fun remember!!!!!!! More then a few of us have put 2 tangs in a tank that was to small.
Old 05/08/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lws
I can understand someone asking for advice and I've always been more than happy to give it, I've just got a soft spot for any animal and it pains me to see what are basically idiots buying things without reading the first thing about them. We already shorten their lifespan by keeping them in captivity the best we can do is ensure we give them the best possible and cleanest life. I do apologise but there have been many of these threads recently and I'd compare it to buying a dog and keeping it in a vivarium.

Feeding it lettuce because you 'like the look of them' but oh, forget about doing some actually research and maybe getting a few books out of the library.

seriuosly man, look above in his post.....yeah, thats right, it was his first post.... which means that he came here looking for help not to be flamed by people. you say you are more than happy to give advice when people are asking for it, but yet you have given no helpful advice to the poor guy in both of your posts. If you have never had any problems and have been an expert on everything, then i applaud you. Otherwise, when you were trying to troubleshoot a problem, im sure you weren't looking for someone to jump all over your back. Like also stated, we dont know what happened with the fish, besides it died. You can't assume because it died that the guy is a complete moron and knows nothing about saltwater fish.

As far as the fish goes, if you could give us a read out of your parameters, mainly ammonia and nitrite, maybe we could determine just what happened. it might be that with the newly cycled tank, too much bioload was added too quickly.
Old 05/08/2006, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

How many of you guys remember walking into a LFS and coming out with things you didn't need or shouldn't have...? I am not talking exclusively of tangs either but fish that would eat corals; corals that wouldn't survive long like Gonis; and equipment sells like Seaclones.

Povsan came here for advice and if he pm's me I would be more than willing to help him, as no doubt would many others. That's assuming he is still here. As for the tangs, I personally think a YT(1 only) in a 72 is fine. His smaller size allows him to move freely in and around rockwork and his slower pace of swimming and hovering allows him to do what he is really good at...grazing. While one could question the ethics of a fish not being able to mate in his/her lifetime, there is no question in my mind that a YT or Kole in a tank that size would benefit the aquarium as a whole. The Sailfin, although, will just get too big. It's just that now may not be the best time for removal. Therefore the question remains what can Povsan do now to keep the Sailfin ALIVE. And that my friends is in finding out what is his water quality/chemistry.
Old 05/08/2006, 02:26 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by lws
I can understand someone asking for advice and I've always been more than happy to give it,
He was asking for advice, and you lashed out at him, not gave him advice.

He probably wont be back, and thats probably MUCH worse for the animal than what he had done. You can count yourself responsible for any future miscare that we could have corrected.
Old 05/08/2006, 02:49 PM
Carpe Noctem

I sent him an e-mail asking him to come back and PM one of us...

I hope he is not discouraged!
Old 05/08/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

hummm i think the tang police are becoming nothing more then street thugs what the heck was that. everyone has to start somewhere most of us have made simular mistakes. i really think the greatest lesson we can learn is know your tank and your own limits that takes experience folks. why do we need to bash people who are learning that does not show you love your hobby that just shows you can hit a guy when he is down yes i know hearing these questions and these issues over and again can be frusterating and sometimes even maddening but everyone asks them lets try to be patient. if dont want to reply to them ignore them.

Ashley
Old 05/08/2006, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I've been in the hobby for 10 years and I still learn new things every day.

As for your tank being too small for two tangs that's a matter of opinion. I had a 75 gallon with three tangs that was fine for years. More than likely it was your water. How fast did you add your fish? How did you cycle it? What is your water quality today? These are questions you must ask yourself. People will always be here to help you as much as they can but remember that research is the best way to go!
Old 05/08/2006, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garvondavis14
wow....read about fish before you buy them
hey garvon, would you like the roast duck with the mango salsa?

hey povsan, dont let the mean cavemen scare you away from here. people like that are the tang police, and they can be quite silly and annoying at times.
test salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph, and let us know what you find. good luck, and dont give up just yet.
Old 05/08/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Def to much fish for that tank. Waiting on water parameters? How did you acclimate?
Old 05/09/2006, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

I want to thank everyone for the responses to my question...and my reply, I have been interested in saltwater for several years. I chose to do fresh water first to learn. After 5 years and A LOT of research about saltwater, I was ready to try a saltwater tank. I have an experienced friend who set the tank up for me. I take my water once a week to be tested at his store. I have 100lbs of live rock and live sand. I have waited since february for my tank to cycle and check all my perameters before choosing my fish. I am not some "moron" who woke up one day and decided to try this alone..... although some of you were very nice and helpful, many of you made me feel insecure and second guess posting any future questions
Old 05/09/2006, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cecilturtle
How many of you guys remember walking into a LFS and coming out with things you didn't need or shouldn't have...? I am not talking exclusively of tangs either but fish that would eat corals; corals that wouldn't survive long like Gonis; and equipment sells like Seaclones.
That is unreal! have you been peaking in my closet? I actually bought all of those items in the same day at my LFS. we are always learning. Somestimes the hard way.
Dont be discouraged........
Old 05/09/2006, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Hey, im glad you came back...after the comments, or should i say attacks by the one or two bozos above, I wasn't so sure you would. Im sorry you had to go through that with your first question, and i apologize for their remarks. I guess there are some people on here who think they are "perfect," or insecure, so they try to make themselves feel better by trying to chop other people down.

I hope your bad experience does not drive you away from this wonderful forum....yeah, there are a few bad apples, but i assure you there are fifty good apples to every one bad.... hopefully you can see that by the way we stood up for you... I have learned so much on this site in only two years...its incredible. If it weren't for this site, i have no clue were i would be...actually, i probably would have already given up the hobby.

About the tank... When you bought the two tangs, did both appear to be healthy and happy? It does seem strange, that the tang died just after 5 days, right? How is the sailfin doing right now? Does he seem stressed at all? His health could be an indicator on whether the tank is having some minor problems, or if you were just unlucky and got a yellow tang that was sick. I would keep an eye on the sailfin to see if he continues to do well...

I didn't see above, maybe i missed it, but are you doing any water changes? What are you using for filtration, other than the live rock and sand? Are you running any chemicals in the tank at all? When you take your water to the lfs to be tested, what do they test for? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to ge a feel to see if we cant figure this out....

Once again, on behalf of all the "good apples" on RC, i am sorry for your bad experience and i hope that you will give this site another chance....