Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/02/2006, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

stocking for 55 FO

i got a 55 gallon tank thats not quite done cycling yet, but i wanna find out what i should get for fish.
theres no live rock in it, but about 28 lbs of lace rock, 40 lbs of aragonite, 2 aquaclear 301 powerheads, and a fluval 304 filter. oh, and i just have a normal output fluorescent light strip, but i might be getting a 130 watt pc setup in a few weeks.

for fish tho, what all could i keep in there? i really like the flame angels, but do they require liverock to graze algea and stuff off of? or if i dont have lr, is there something i should feed them?
Also, i saw somethin called a scooter blenny i think is what it was called? how big do they get, and how hard/easy are they to keep?

and i have no clue what other fish i should get...so any other suggestions would be great...i just want 1-2 fish that are about the size of a flame angel/coral beauty, and a few smaller ones maybe

thanks!
Old 05/03/2006, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

The first fish I added to my 55 was an adult Diamond Watchman Goby. Tons of personality, readily took frozen food the first day, and keeps my substrate spotless. He'll even swim to the top of the tank to try to take Mysis right out of my hand.

He also seems to like to play with my hermits. He'll pick them up and drop them right on top of the rock he made his burrow under. As soon as they start to crawl away he picks them up and puts them back. It's hillarious, he's like a dog playing fetch.... or he's completely nuts... either way he's a blast to watch.
Old 05/03/2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

thanks! those guys sound pretty cool, i'll have to look into them.
any other suggestions/un-suggestions?

thanks
Old 05/03/2006, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

i have a 55g with a sailfin tang, percula clown, bicolor blenny, and a single damsal left over from the test to see if the tank was cycled. they all do well together and add to the few zoas and shrooms i have. dont forget the clean up crew!!
Old 05/03/2006, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

is the sailfin small enough for a 55? i've heard that really the only one is the yellow tang, and even they're kinda pushin it. oh, and the kole tang too i think.
Old 05/04/2006, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

IMO no tag will do well in a 55 long term - especially not a sailfin which gets huge.

Adding live rock to the tank would benefit your filtration, tank appearance and provide food for certain types of fish.

Make sure you clean the cannister filter weekly a they can become nitrate factories. A protein skimmer would be beneficial - you may want to check out the Coralife Superskimmers. They're affordable and do good job.

What fish you get will depend on what you're looking to do with the tank - aggressive, passive, possible reef in the future, etc.? With that in mind here are some fish you may want to look into:
Passive: Royal Gramma, firefish, gobies, blue/green chromis, percula clowns
Semi-aggressive: Flame angel, coral beauty angel, dwarf lionfish, six-line wrasses, four-line wrasse, orchid dottyback
Aggressive: Damsels, bi-color dotty back, sharpnose puffers
Old 05/04/2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

The Coralife Super Skimmer 65 is great on a 55 gal if you're thinking about getting one as MonkeyFish suggested. Have one on my own and have been very happy with it.
Old 05/04/2006, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

ya thats what i thought for a tang that 55 is too small for them. also, are flame angels ok w/green star polyps? do they eat/kill them? I might be getting a 130 or a 260 watt pc light in a couple weeks or so, and i'm really liking the looks of the gsp's. i dont think i want a lionfish either for this tank...maybe a wrass. does a bird wrass get too big?
Old 05/04/2006, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...cfm?pCatId=242

is this fish ok in a 55? i know liveaquaria says 50, but i've heard that they arent always right
Old 05/05/2006, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

pass on the butterfly, get a pair of clownfish. Nearly any species will do well in a 55. If you want the easiest to pair off I would get either a percula, ocellaris, or clarkii.
Old 05/05/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

i'd like to get a clown pair, but would a flame angel be too rough with them? I've pretty much decided that thats gonna be one of my fish, i just gotta find out what else i want.
Old 05/05/2006, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

there may be a rough break in period until they all get along, but a pair of clowns should be fine. no sense wasting 55gal on 1 flame angel.
Old 05/05/2006, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

A bird wrasse needs a much bigger tank - they can get to be about a foot long and are fast swimmers that need at least a 6' tank (125g or larger).

Personally, I think that clowns are boring. They tend to stay in one area of the tank and bob up and down. But many do like them.
Old 05/05/2006, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Personally, I think that clowns are boring.
sacrilege!!!!

whatever floats your boat man
Old 05/05/2006, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

LOL

Say, "No to Nemo."
Old 05/05/2006, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

hawkfish... by themselves they have the most personality of any fish i have kept.
harems of royal grammas or flashers wrasse' are awesome. but difficult in a 55g....depended on the individual fish really...
Old 05/05/2006, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

hawkfish!!! thats what i was lookin at and i forgot about em'. I LOVE those guys. You think one would be good w/a flame angel?
My dad says that i can get about $100 worth of fish once its done cycling (not getting all at once of course). I know i want a flame angel/coral beauty which i can get the flame for about 35ish and the coral for 20. I know i can get the hawk for around 25ishso i still got about 30 bucks or so.

also, what order should i add the fish in? angel first? hawk first?
Old 05/05/2006, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

dangit...forgot to put that i dont want a clown now...dont really find them that interesting as monkeyfish says.

and how big to royall grammas get, and would i be able to keep them w/flame andgel and hawk? if so, how many would you recommend?

Last edited by sir_dudeguy; 05/05/2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05/05/2006, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Right now in the 55 reef I have, I've got a flame angel, a coral beauty, a longnose hawk, a small blue tang, and a royal gramma basslet with no problems at all. The angels chase one another occasionally, but I've got enough rock that they can get away from one another easily.

(To the tang police: upgrading in the near future, so no lectures)

Just so you can get an idea of the many possibilities you have.
Old 05/05/2006, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

i was thinkin about the...ah crap, is it flame hawkfish? its the one thats red.

ok, so i've got a flame angel and a hawkfish (the red one, lol) and maye a royal gramma. or should i get more than one royal gramma? in the future i look to get green star polyps. would these fish be ok with gsp's?
Old 05/05/2006, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Royal grammas get territorial when they get older. Mine does its best to defend its little rock from the others (who don't seem to care), so I personally wouldn't recommend more than one. And introduce it last.

I've got green star polyps too, and nothing bothers them. In fact, for what I've heard around here, dwarf angels are hardly ever a problem in reefs. Hawkfish don't bother corals, just certain inverts. Mine took out a couple of peppermint shrimp that were eating size, so I put a big fire shrimp in their place, and he leaves that one alone.
Old 05/05/2006, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Dwarf angels can demolish corals... it really depends on the individual fish. With any dwarf angel it's a 50/50 chance of getting one that's reef friendly.