Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/03/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

So what’s the deal with CA Reactors?

So what’s the deal with CA Reactors?

What I mean is; why are they so expensive? When I look at the different designs I see only slight modifications but all in all they are working on the same principle. Which looks very easy to duplicate? So why aren’t there more DIY plans, threads, or links on this subject manner? If you have any related info please add to this post. MANY THANKS!!
Old 04/03/2006, 03:01 PM
sweeeet!!

As far as the DIY stuff, I think there are more skimmer users than there are calcium reactor users, hence more DIY skimmer threads. I often, and still do on certain days, think about DIY'ing my own CR. But then reality sets in and I buy the commercial brands. I have owned and loved my MRC and GEO calcium reactors in the past. I plan to do one or the other here in the next couple of weeks.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 04/03/2006, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

I've wondered the same thing before. I ended up buying a Coralife Calcium reactor since it was cheap and included the pump. I know it gets bashed around here but it works great for me. Regardless, I've never understood the high cost of reactors considering what they consist of.
Old 04/03/2006, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Most of the companies making calcuim reactors (ie MRC, Geo) are making their calcium reactors by hand with the best parts they can find. There aim is to make a quality product. If you take into account the parts, labor, overhead and profit you get a price you see. If they massed produced like Corallife then it would be cheaper. An MRC calcuim reactor is not coming of an assembly line and they dont sell as many of them.
Old 04/03/2006, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

If you could see one for yourself, there is no comparing a coralife to an mrc..
That being said, i have a 4ft tall diy calcium reactor that could look prettier, but it works.
If i had money to spare, i'd have the mrc unit. But many things higher on the priority list for the tanks.
Even the diy isn't going to be very cheap because you still have to have the co2 regulator, tank, bubble counter. and preferably a ph controller.
It ain't cheap for sure, but it definately is worth every penny to me for the added ph stability from the increased alkalinity.
Old 04/03/2006, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robsmith32
If you could see one for yourself, there is no comparing a coralife to an mrc..
That being said, i have a 4ft tall diy calcium reactor that could look prettier, but it works.
If i had money to spare, i'd have the mrc unit. But many things higher on the priority list for the tanks.
Even the diy isn't going to be very cheap because you still have to have the co2 regulator, tank, bubble counter. and preferably a ph controller.
It ain't cheap for sure, but it definately is worth every penny to me for the added ph stability from the increased alkalinity.
I'm sure the quality of the mrc is leaps and bounds greater than the coralife, however in my 72 gallon tank it keeps the calc and alk steady with little to no maint, plus it's easy to hide. I'm just saying, it does the job. Whether or not it will last more than a few years has yet to be seen.
Old 04/03/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

I'm actually looking to make my own, where can I find directions of people's DIY reactors?
Old 04/03/2006, 08:15 PM
lift it up tallways

Also, since I see it's not mentioned, the lifespan is a BIG issue.

I've had 3 calcium reactors. 2 became very brittle and cracked. Carbonic acid and cheap acrylic do not mix well over time.

My third (and final) reactor is made by Schuran. If you ever see this reactor, you will see where the money goes. They use the very best materials and the craftsmanship is second to none. I bought this reactor while on vacation.... as a result of my second reactor splitting at the flange and flooding the room. Down through the floor, etc. Not a phonecall you want to receive from your tanksitter when you are on the other side of the country.

Food for thought. I now try to purchase equipment that I will not have to upgrade/replace.

-E.
Old 04/03/2006, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

i have an MRC-CR2 on my tank and its great nice quality and very easy to use

the price wasnt bad either at $260 id rather buy one than make it but thats just me

anyways one of the other local reefers out by me made one outta a left over skimmer chamber and such works but like u said not always the prettiest thing lol

MASVC member
Old 04/03/2006, 10:09 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

I agree 100% to Ewan's claim...Schuran's craftmanship is second to none. I love my Schuran..not only it looks good but perform well.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 04/03/2006, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

its a simple design but hard to make one that will last. I have a lifereef and probably won’t be buying another reactor unless I drop it or go with a bigger tank, but it will dose up to a 500gal system. Its ozone safe and never leaks. Value is in the eye of the beholder
Old 04/03/2006, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

This is the WMTasker style DYI ca reactor.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ghlight=%24200

Its alot to read but by far the best info building, setup, configuring one

I built a similar one for about $325 including 10lb C02 tank and a JBJ Controller with check valve and bubble counter.
Old 04/04/2006, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feed back! I will have to take a closer look at the WMTasker style reactor.