Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Lobophora Variegata

Lobophora Variegata is a growing problem in my tank. I've heard that Nasos can eat them but my tank is too small for a Naso. Is there any snails or urchins who eat them? Otherwise I don't know how to remove this pest.

Old 03/27/2006, 07:15 PM
Here's lookin at you

Would it be possible to remove the rock and scrub it?

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 03/28/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by graveyardworm
Would it be possible to remove the rock and scrub it?
Unfortunally that is not possible. It's not only that rock it's maby 20 % of my rocks and pumps and so on. That would be to "reboot" the tank.
Old 03/28/2006, 12:49 PM
Sea cowgirl

Y'know I dont think I've seen photos of Lobophora that are so fuzzy before.. it looks like the algae has some sort of overgrowth of another benthic nuisance species growing on top of it.. is that about right? Very interesting.

A rabbitfish or tang might be an option, I'd bring a sample of the algae to a LFS that you trust and see if any of the fish/inverts show any interest in it.

>Sarah
Old 03/29/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Samala
Y'know I dont think I've seen photos of Lobophora that are so fuzzy before.. it looks like the algae has some sort of overgrowth of another benthic nuisance species growing on top of it.. is that about right? Very interesting.

>Sarah
That is a correct observation. The Lobophora that are growing closest to the light has that overgrowth. I also have Lobophora closer to the bottom of the tank that is not "fuzzy".

Compare the pics:

Old 03/30/2006, 01:51 PM
Girl Geek

Do all tangs eat this algae? I have some of it on two rocks in my tank. I can remove one, but the other as xenia growing all over it. I'm interested as well in what solutions may be available.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techigirl78
Do all tangs eat this algae? I have some of it on two rocks in my tank. I can remove one, but the other as xenia growing all over it. I'm interested as well in what solutions may be available.
No they do not. I have a Ctenochaetus strigosus and a Zebrasoma flavescens that not eat this algae. As far as I have heard up to date only Naso eat Lobophora.
Old 03/30/2006, 03:30 PM
Girl Geek

I wasn't going to get a Naso tang, but maybe that's what I'll have to resort to getting. I always liked them, but 135 is suppose to be the min tank size and I have a 125.

I have a cowry in QT as I thought I'd try that out, I'll let you know how it goes. Thinking I'll take the smaller rock and put it with the cowry to see what happens.

Has yours spread fast? I had mine on one rock for about two years now, then it moved to another rock on a different rock structure in the past six months or so. Seeing it spread made me worry as it don't want it to keep spreading.
Old 04/04/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

I too have this algae. I have tried different snails, have a yellow tang and now I'm trying a long spine urchin and nothing has touched it so far. Has anyone actually seen a Naso tang eat this stuff or heard of success with one? Everyone that I have talked to about this algae says that the only way to be rid of it is to cook your liverock. I really don't like that option but I feel that is where the road is leading to if the Naso trick doesn't work.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 04/04/2006, 10:01 PM
Here's lookin at you

If its only affecting a small area you could try kalk paste. Use it sparingly alittle at a time and spread the treatment out over time to avoid PH problems.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 04/06/2006, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone had luck with a rabbit fish like a fox face with this stuff?
Old 04/09/2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

I have had this algae practically cover my entire tank at one point. It is a 300 gal. so that is quite a lot of the stuff. Initially because of its "fuzzy" appearance I thought it was some type of bryazoan. It also has a a sheeting/plating growth aspect which I found interesting. However it is such an aggressive grower that it can displace even the most tenacious of corals.

I have had luck introducing regal tang to my tank; it seems to relish the stuff, also my purple tang nibbles at it occasionally. Unfortunately given the amount of it I have in my tank I have learned to live with it. I am gradually eradicating it but I don't see it ever being completely gone. Adding a refugium seems to have helped as well. Right now I still have it on my rock, but it no longer bothers any of my corals.
Old 04/09/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I bought this little baby about a week ago:

Unfortunally she/he will grow way to big to live for more than a couple of months in my little tank. It has done wonders in a week, 10-15 % of these algae are eaten and the Naso belly is swollen.
At Works:
Old 04/16/2006, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Hows the fight with the Lobophora Variegata going? Is the Naso eating this stuff completly away to the rock or just the top layer?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 04/19/2006, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

The Naso is doing a great job. He/she removes the Lobophora completely from the rocks. What he don't eat he rip lose. I would say, in 2-3 weeks 60-70% of the Lobophora variegata is gone.

The Naso will not be able to reach all of these algae’s though and another thing is I can't keep it for very long in my small tank. I like the Naso very much though so it might result in a tank size upgrade. :-)
Old 05/19/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

anone else have luck getting rid of this species of algae with naso's or otherwise? I also am cursed with a very diffuse outbreak - my nutrients are NO3 0 and phosphate <0.03 - I am now considering getting a naso unless others have not had this work or there are other solutions
Old 05/21/2006, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

I have had my Naso for 5-6 weeks now. It have done a terrific job, there is not muck Lobophora left, only where the Naso can’t reach. I don’t know about your fish mix but I can say it’s a great reef tank habitant. And you have what I don’t, a tank big enough for the Naso.
Old 06/06/2006, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

My Naso is doing a great job eating this algae. My tank was beginning to be overgrown with it. Bought the Naso because of this thread. I watched him eat non stop all day. It should only be a couple of weeks till he makes a real big impact. I have a 180 gallon, 6x2x2 tank. These fish can get very big, so buy as small as you can. Anyone have a Blonde Naso that eats this type of Algae?
Old 06/07/2006, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

I have not had a chance to get one as I got sidetracked with AEFW - does he rip it right off or just pick at the surface? I have a sohal, sailfin and yellow tang and they all pick at it but they just seem to skim the stuff off the surface and not actually remove or kill the algae (maybe they eat the slime coat shown in the picture above and not the algae itself)
Old 06/07/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Mine eats it right down to the bare rock. Brown algae is part of the Naso's natural diet, and they won't do good in captivity with out it. He really seems to enjoy the algae and tears into into all day long.
Old 06/14/2006, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

My Naso has eaten over 40% of this algae in the tank in just a couple of weeks. I almost have a new looking tank. Wow. Two thumbs up for this fish and anyone that has a problem with this algae.
Old 10/17/2007, 04:30 PM
SMBS

I found a little guy, about 3". I was very adamant about putting a Naso in such a small tank but I was at my wits end with this algae. Plus, I planned to trade or sell him after he put a good dent in it. He did wonders, probably removed about 60% of the Lobo. Unfortunately he only lasted about 4 weeks. They just don't due well lacking swimming room even if they're eating well.

The Lobo is now coming back strong. It was impossible task for the Naso to get it all (too many cracks and crevices) but it did do a good job of keeping it from overgrowing my zoas.

So now I'm looking for other options. I think urchins are the best bet. I've already tried all the usual suspects: most snails, emeralds, even a couple different seahares. I have two tuxedos that don't touch it and one unknown hitchhiker urchin that keeps growing even though it appears to never move.

Long spine urchins will be my next attempt. Has anyone had any success with herbivores small enough to be kept in a 60?

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."

Last edited by Reeferhead; 10/17/2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I have tried the Long spine urchins and they do not work on this algae. The only thing that has worked is a Naso. If you cannot keep a Naso you may need to cook the rock.

Thanks
Jason
Old 10/17/2007, 05:25 PM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by JTice
I have tried the Long spine urchins and they do not work on this algae. The only thing that has worked is a Naso. If you cannot keep a Naso you may need to cook the rock.

Thanks
Jason
I've read several accounts to the contrary. Perhaps its only a specific Diadema species that eats it. Or, maybe its like everything else... luck of the draw.

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 10/22/2007, 10:03 AM
Girl Geek

I no longer have mine after adding a orange spotted blenny and yellow tang. One or both must of taken care of it.