Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Question Fish stocking help, goodbye to an old friend!!!!

I recently had my flame angel die on me. I'm not sure why, seems maybe it was his time. The fish was so beautiful and such a wonderful addition, never touched my coral. He will be greatly missed. I have a 15g, with mostly Lps, and some softies. 20 pounds of live rock and 130w pc. I am looking for a fish to place in the tank. There is a small Lmb in there already. I was looking at the six-line wrasse. What are your experiences with some reef friendly fish. Thank you for any help.
Old 03/13/2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I would say a YWG& chromis
Old 03/13/2006, 09:33 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

i would say a royal gramma, they are really pretty and have alot of personatly. Here is a pic of mine, that just passed from an ich breakout

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 03/13/2006, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I must say those royal grammas are very beautiful, but i love my gobies!
Old 03/13/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

EW! Royal Grammas.. i hate 'em... if u like the personality of a Damsel then you will like Royal Grammas... but anyway i have had 2 diff. ones at 2 diff. times in 2 diff tanks.... they stink... they are really pretty.. BUT when i came up to see the tank.. they would hide.... and they picked on all my fish.... ugh... hate hate hate hate royal grammas ...... the worst..
-10g. Reef
Old 03/13/2006, 10:26 PM
Moved On

Grammas are ok, but can be agressive. Most any goby works, a mandarin if you have enough copepods.

later
Old 03/13/2006, 10:30 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

don't even suggest a mandarin...................whats wrong with you?

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 03/14/2006, 01:23 AM
zoa ninja

lol Amber you sound like my mom when I'm about to do something extremely stupid.

I think he wasn't reading on the guy's tank size since he did point out the necessity of a big pod population.

Speaking of tank size, how did you manage a flame angel in a 15g? Wasn't it stressed out?
Old 03/14/2006, 02:29 AM
Registered Member.

I have a red scooter blenny in my 10 gal and he, well, ate all my copepods, I haven't seen any in weeks. HOWEVER! He eats frozen blood worms like it is going out of style! He healthy an plump.. Funny little fish too. He loves to explore the entire tank and won't leave me alone when I am working on my computer which is right next to the tank. Good luck, I would love to hear what other suggestions you recieve because I too am looking to add another fish. I was thinking of a clown perhaps a black percula.
Old 03/14/2006, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Thx for the advice guys. The flame wasn't stressed in fact he was really happy, he was also really small (1.5 inches). I really want to get a wrasse, I have always liked them.
Old 03/14/2006, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

i am afraid of six-line wrasses since my last one killed 5 chromises on his own, and i had to watch it all happen since i couldnt remove any of the fish in time
Old 03/14/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member.

I was told not to put a six-line wrasse in there as well. I was told as they age they become more and more agressive. Especially towards tankmates of smaller size and perhaps clams and toerh inverts.
Old 03/14/2006, 02:27 PM
Aquatic Philosopher

I have never heard anything about agression from a 6-lined wrasse, although I have never kept one. I was thinking about adding one to my tank. The royal basslett are great additions, I have one and they are great! He actually "paired" up with a red-headed goby that I have.... If I wasnt sure that they are different fish, I would expect them to breed, They show more affection than my two clowns.
In any case, the royal gamma are really tough, mine got stuck in some usp place for 2 days and it still arrived alive, they have very neat personalities but are often shy when first introduced. Sorry about all the deceased fish, but goodluck to you

University of Mary Washington Alumnus
Clemson University