Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2006, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Something beside Starboard for BB?

I was considering a switch to a bare bottom setup when I get my new tank. BB vs. DSB debate a side is there anything anyone came up with beside starboard for lining the bottom of the tank. I work as a chef and stare at a cutting board 50 hours a week. I can't have a cutting board in my tank, very un Zen. I need something because i think bare glass would be ugly and I have urchins that knock everthing over so I need something esle. Has anyone come up with anything cool?
Old 03/06/2006, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

I seem to recall at the start of the "Starboard craze" some folks used cutting boards. You could read the original thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=223301

I think it was in there somewhere.

Or, maybe here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=553566

Have fun..
Old 03/06/2006, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Have you thought about a faux sand bed? Its got that "natural" look but works like a barebottom.
Old 03/06/2006, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

That kinda what I was thinking but I can't find any info.
Old 03/06/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Okay a link to a link to a link. I think I found one
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Anybody else have a thread?
Old 03/06/2006, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I am using a lab computer and can bookmark so I am collecting them if anyone wants to chip in.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hlight=acrylic
Old 03/07/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

white acrylic
Old 03/07/2006, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

https://home.comcast.net/~adonaldson32/
Old 03/07/2006, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Neat idea using the exopy slurry to bond the rocks. How does the sandbed look now? I was wondering how it ages. The only old epoxy sandbed I've seen in pictures look pretty overgrown. You got any pics of your now?
Old 03/08/2006, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

You might consider using solid surface countertop material like Corian or LG HiMacs (brands). It is an acryic based material that is inert and won't off gas. Plus it is available in many colors including some that look like sand. If it is something you are interested in you could contact a local company that fabricates "solid surface" countertops and they would probably sell you some relatively cheaply.

Steve
Old 03/08/2006, 07:28 AM
troublemaker

Whatever you put down there ... in 6+ months it will be covered in coralline and mostly invisible.

IMO, even a faux-substrate will be purple in a year ... so at that point, I guess I don't see a huge difference in what you put down there.

Just my take. Someone recently suggested some sort of foam for the bottom - which would provide the 3D surface but avoid substrate.
Old 03/08/2006, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

That is kinda what I was thinkning Mark. It seem that the BB what ever it is made of ends up getting over grown.
Old 03/08/2006, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

for whatever its worth. My BB is just that, glass and in 6 months the exposed areas are 30% coralline. 90% of the rock is off the bottom 1-3" either resting on large tonga pieces that formed a natural elevated shelf or on acryllic rods as supports. Beneath the raised rock that sits on acrylic rod the glass is still clear. I like it because I can inspect for debri using a light from beneath in the sump. There are some dead spots I'm having trouble siphoning that i need some type of manuvarable hose hooked to a powerhead or something to blow bebi into the open.
Old 03/08/2006, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Starboard is HDPE. High Density Poly Ethylene. I think that is the spelling. Anyway, cutting board is fine as long as it is HDPE. I purchased it at IKEA. Some web sites have cutting boards but are not HDPE.

good luck

rich
Old 03/08/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

I live next door to a commerical kitchen supply store I could get mine cut custom without ever having to get in my car. I was just looking for something a little more natural.
Old 03/09/2006, 07:16 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

I don't know if you have a Menard's down there, but they sell 4x8 sheets of 1/2" thick gray HDPE for about $50. Like I said, it's gray, but it might look cool.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 03/10/2006, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GROSSR
Anyway, cutting board is fine as long as it is HDPE.
Why must it be HDPE ? If there is an epoxy coat over the board {top, sides,bottom} would it really matter?
Old 03/10/2006, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HippieSmell
I don't know if you have a Menard's down there, but they sell 4x8 sheets of 1/2" thick gray HDPE for about $50. Like I said, it's gray, but it might look cool.
That sound like a winner Hippie. Do you know what section it is in?
I went thru this when I was looking for Dow Flakes. I didn't know what it was really for and they didn't know what it was. They looked at me like I was planning to cook Meth with it or something.
Old 03/11/2006, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

You can also get Starboard and Seaboard in colors other than white, they both come in "sandy" shades. If buying Starboard or Seaboard by name, look for the colors "Seafoam" & "Sandshade". HDPE cutting board materials are not the same as the 2 materials mentioned above. Starboard and Seaboard are UV stabilized while standard HDPE is not.

HTH,
James
Old 03/11/2006, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I apologize, I misread your original post. I thought you wanted to use a cutting board on the bottom. I need to pay more attention!

Some people have posted on RC about using rubble bottoms. Not sure if that interests you.
Old 03/11/2006, 12:47 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by Covey
That sound like a winner Hippie. Do you know what section it is in?
I went thru this when I was looking for Dow Flakes. I didn't know what it was really for and they didn't know what it was. They looked at me like I was planning to cook Meth with it or something.
It should be in the lumber area. They also sell 4x4 sheets at the store I go to for $20-30.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 03/12/2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Well Menards was a bust. They didn't have it.
Old 03/12/2006, 03:42 PM
See if you can pingaso it

You should be able to get Dowflake at your local pool supply places if your local depot doesn't carry the stuff. I had to get mine from the pool place since we haven't had much snow this year in south florida .

It was 25 bucks for 50lbs. More than HD ....but cheaper than ordering off the net and paying shipping to my house.
Old 03/12/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't looking for the Dow flakes any more I was just using it as an example but thanks anyway.