Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/12/2006, 09:48 PM
completly outta money

Best AutoTop Off?

I was wondering what would be the best cheap but good autotopp of system? I dont want just a continuious drip one. Thanks
DJ

"Think not why the sky is blue but instead think that the sky is blue for a reason"

Some of my quotes
Old 02/12/2006, 09:51 PM
I am a super nose picker

I have the tunze osmolator.I am very happy with it.
Old 02/12/2006, 09:54 PM
completly outta money

well i was thinking cheaper then 175 dollars.
I was wondering if anyone has used this one

http://saltycritter.com/waterlevel.htm

"Think not why the sky is blue but instead think that the sky is blue for a reason"

Some of my quotes
Old 02/12/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

i paid 50 bucks for one on www.autotopoff.com
Old 02/12/2006, 10:17 PM
completly outta money

Does it work good?

Some of my quotes
Old 02/12/2006, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

i have a float valve around 7-12.00 depends on where u get it. I also put a manual on/off valve right before it. Works great. Had it for around 9 months now.
Old 02/12/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

I used a kent float valve for about 2 yrs with no problems. just need to keep it free of salt creep and never put more than 5 gallons or so behind it, that way if it does fail it can only drain 5 gallons into your system. I used 1/4" plastic tubing from the valve to a 5 gal jug of R/O. Worked great! With my system's demands it lasted about a week until I had to refill the 5gal jug.
Old 02/12/2006, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I got one from http://www.top-off.com . It works incredibly well and was very simple to install.
Old 02/13/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

on topoff.com what is the "Top-Off Solenoid Valve" used for?
Old 02/13/2006, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

I originally wanted to connect my topoff to my RO/DI unit but I had to move my tank to a different location and that was no longer possible.

So I created this topoff system. Basically it's a 10 gallon reservoir that gravity feeds a float valve. I have to fill the Reservoir with RO/DI water about once every 5-7 days.

Here you see the white reservoir feeding the black float valve:

Here you see a close up of the float valve connected to one of my baffles:
Old 02/13/2006, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Razzagas
on topoff.com what is the "Top-Off Solenoid Valve" used for?
This could be used to control the flow out of your ro/di unit which would allow you to run top-off water straight from your purifier. I bought the top-off basic setup and it works great. I just threw a small pump in a reservoir holding RO/DI water and it gets refilled once a week.
Old 02/13/2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I bought a float switch and a solenoid valve for about $25 total. Float switch goes in the sump, solenoid valve on the topoff tank which drains into my downstream refugium. The setup has worked flawlessly for about two years now.
Old 02/13/2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

are any of these systems good for dosing kalk? I have a drip doser from kent, and it is always clogging.
Old 02/13/2006, 10:32 PM
completly outta money

Well thanks guys i just ordered a topoff unit from top-off.com. anyone know about how long itwill take for him to ship it?

Some of my quotes
Old 02/13/2006, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Evans
are any of these systems good for dosing kalk? I have a drip doser from kent, and it is always clogging.
I am running a tunze osmolator through a kalk reactor and it works very well. The pump though is not directly in contact with the kalk though i have heard it will work fine if kalk is directly added to the ATO water.
Old 02/14/2006, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

used the same setup mike89 posted pics of to dose kalk....
worked great but I did have to be careful about cleaning the float valve often to keep it working freely.
Old 02/15/2006, 03:51 AM
TRC Leader

Another source I like is floatswitches.net
Old 02/15/2006, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

I use a float switch from floatswitches.net connected to a AquaLifter pump. I have a 5g reservoir filled with limewater. I have to fill it about every 5 days or so.
Old 02/15/2006, 12:24 PM
68 dead fish and counting

Has the Spectrapure version fallen out of favor? If so, why?

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p1.htm

I'm looking to purchase one that I can hook into my RO, so any feedback is appreciated.

Here's what it appears to me:

top-off.com:
auto-topoff basic set $30
solenoid valve $27.50
total $57.50

comment: Is a double switch system. Best price, but looks a little DIY.

autotopoff.com
doubleswitch controller $50
solenoid valve $35
total $85

comment: Is a double switch system. Looks less DIY than top-off.com, but still not quite what I expect from commercial grade.

spectrapure.com
single liquid level controller $87

comment: includes solenoid valve. Is only a SINGLE switch system. Appears to be commercial quality, but price is also highest.

Comments?
Old 02/15/2006, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by isom
used the same setup mike89 posted pics of to dose kalk....
worked great but I did have to be careful about cleaning the float valve often to keep it working freely.
I agree that you must make checking the float valve part of your regular routine. Also you should make sure that your topoff reservoir doesn't hole more water than your sump can handle should the float valve get stuck in the open position.
Old 02/15/2006, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIQUID-LEVEL-FLO...QQcmdZViewItem

I, and several other people around here, use these. They are cheap and reliable however do not tolerate much wattage. I have this one connected to a solenoid valve for my autotopoff. Total cost $45 and completely reliable for 3 years now.