Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/07/2006, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Why does my tank look so blah...pics

It's been going for over 4 months. Wife just said it looks grayish. It does look blah. Water parameters are good. Coraline is growing over lr and base rock. Any idea why?

Old 02/07/2006, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

put some corals or some other things to bring colors!
Old 02/07/2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

It looks blah becasue you have nothing in there, wheres the corals..? Looks like you have MH lighting what K rating are your lights, maybe add some actinic and add some corals for Florescence
Old 02/07/2006, 06:20 PM
Ferret Maximus

may want to change rock around- it looks a lil 1 dimensional- move some way up front and move some way back - create islands and bridges! - but i ditto the above statement too!
Old 02/07/2006, 06:20 PM
Moved out

I don't see ANY coraline on your rocks. FWIW my coraline isn't really taking off either and my tank is about 6 mos old. My rocks didn't have ANY coraline either so I "seeded" the tank with some coraline covered rock rubble and its slowly spreading.. Just make sure your salinty, ph, CA and alk are within the proper parameters and eventually it will come. Get a few pieces of rock that are totally covered in coraline and that should help.
Old 02/07/2006, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Light is an Outer Orbit 2x150w HQI & 2x130w PC. Believe it or not there is coraline starting to spread, but slowly. Ya can't see it much in the pics. Was going to order some zoas this week along with some green chromis. The pictures do make it look 1 dimensional. The pile on the left has caves and ledges but they are hard to see. The pile on the right has 3 pillars that the clowns call home. They swim & hide in the holes. It's just that the overall color of the rock looks dull. Was going to maybe order some BR from reeferrocks.
Old 02/07/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Get some ricordia, or some shrooms, zoos, acro, whatever but right now you have a FOWLR tank. It will look good with some new corals in there. a orange fungia plate might set the sand bed off nice.
Old 02/07/2006, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Try painting the back of the glass, I did my first tank blue and the second tank black. I perferred the black paint.
Old 02/07/2006, 07:15 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It takes patience for your live rock to really look "cool" depending on the type of live rock and if it was cured or not. Also, you could definately do with some landscaping like some other said above. You can definately do it. Just think of yourself as a fish and what you would enjoy to swim around, under and through.
Old 02/07/2006, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

OK, will work on some shrooms, zoos etc. I was thinking if as part of the normal cycle that the rock has some sort of growth, algae, on it to give it it's current dull look or color. The rock started looking like this a few weeks ago.
Old 02/07/2006, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Maybe it's partly your camera settings ... it seems like the white balance and light type is screwin' with the picture. Also that is why we might not be able to "see" the coraline you see :P

Physically it's bland because the rock setup ... partly due to the fact you have very oblong large rocks that seem better as base rock... however fill those wholes with some nice LR that has corals on it and Whammo! ... well it won't be like that but it will look much nicer excuse me I have to go take my ritalin now
Old 02/07/2006, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

O'boy.. I hate critisizing others work expecially if they really like what they've done.. BUT you asked for it..

Your rocks really look like you droped them from the buck straight into the tank. Having the smaller rocks on the right discnnected from the main body completes the "dropped" look. This is not a recent picture of my tank but I think it underscores "one" method of aquascaping.

Basically I tried to keep all the rocks tied together, I tried to flow from low to high in a nice even slope. Other methods such as a rock wall or cave style can also look great. One scape I like the best ( but don't have the room for ) is 2 platos(spelling) with a center "channel". Anyway move them puppies around and get some colorfull coral in there and take another picture.. At least you don't have hair algea problem
Old 02/07/2006, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

I spent so much time moving the rocks around and this was what I came up with. Have to scape with everyone out of the house or they think I'm nuts spending so much darn time moving the rocks around. It was frustrating just to get them how I have them now, thought they looked OK at the time, guess not. I have 60# of base hirocks and 50# of Dr Mac Tonga rock. Certainly looks like I need more. Maybe reeferrocks base next. Hate this rock scaping. Thanks for the opinions all. Anymore?
Old 02/07/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

looks ok to me.....albeit, I'd add some life...maybe a yellow Fiji leather, one frag of a Starburst polyp, some shrooms......maybe a Xenia......and a anenome for the clown...ime
Old 02/07/2006, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

try some of the methods in the link below, I would reccomend getting no more rock, stick with what you got and see what you can do with it
http://www.reeferrocks.com/DIY/index.htm
viceversabrd
Old 02/07/2006, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

I think you can aquascape however you like. Try adding a featherduster and some button polyps or something. Easy to care for and will add color.
Old 02/07/2006, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Add some coral.....and even after you add some it will take it a while to grow in and be camera friendly. I always think of mine as a work in progress as not to get too inpatient of having the tank I want NOW. There is no instant gratification in this hobby
Old 02/08/2006, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Ken,

I don't understand, you have an overflow, so I presume you have a sump too, why don't you hide the skimmer in the sump?

For Coraline to grow, you also need to dose some calcium, (and seed it with some LR's covered with coraline too). You need a calcium test kit, and make sure calcium level is between 380-420. Coraline will grow everywhere even in the low light area too.

You will also need to test alkalinity too.
Old 02/08/2006, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

Your tank looks fine you have nice rock placement JMO. As we all should do, slowly add corals and fish and build up our reef tanks. The reef was not built over night. You have a good light system pick your corals to fit the light are you looking for soft, leathers,LPS or SPS.
To others it might look plain but what does it look like in your eyes. The hobby is exciting enjoy it JMO. Brewen
Old 02/08/2006, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

i think you need some back round color on the back, black or midnight blue, not pet store blue.
Old 02/08/2006, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

Have you considered adding macro algae? This will definately add color to the tank.
Old 02/08/2006, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Your rockscaping is fine its kinda the point of keeping a reef tank so you can design it the way you want. What are you adding to the tank as suppliments? With as much baserock as you had you will need to add some type of calcium or kalk or something to help the coraline along. Also what flow do you have in the tank Coraline starts in high flow areas first and spreads from there. I dust/clean the rock every few days with a turkey baster and that helps spread the coraline too. Adding rubble or a piece or 2 of good covered rock.
Old 02/08/2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

go to autozone and get some 5% tint. put it on the back you wont regret it. Dont paint it, if you dont like it you have a mess, just get the tint, you'll see. I keep telling everyone this and noone wants to listen, its the way to go for sure.
Old 02/08/2006, 07:18 PM
Moved On

My first thought. What a waste of MH lighting when there's no corals

Time to go shopping bud

D.
Old 02/08/2006, 07:25 PM
Ferret Maximus

I love the car tint idea- have it on my freshy- works great!- also keeps outside light out of tank