Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2006, 02:10 PM
Girl Geek

Silly Question about Speakers

Can a speaker be kept close to a tank without getting damaged as long as there's no salt creep or anything on it?
Old 01/18/2006, 02:15 PM
The BS stops here!

My left front and subwoofer are about 2 feet from my 180 for at least 3 years. No ill effects either way.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

One of my towers is also about 1-2 feet away with no ill-effects.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:27 PM
Girl Geek

I'm looking more at the surrounds being effected.

Please don't laugh at my colorful blueprint, I was board at work:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wanted to know if I could put a 75 gal next to the 125 and leave the speaker hang about a foot above it. Right now the speakers are about 1.5' to the side and 1' above the 125.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:31 PM
Voice of Reason

I'd be worried more about the increased humidity affecting other components like a receiver...but even then that risk is pretty low that I wouldn't worry about it. Speakers are pretty simple things in general. If you have paper cones without some sort of protective finish high humidity could be a problem. I stress the word "could"...I have yet to ever see someone say their tank caused a speaker or stereo component to fail.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:32 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Depends of what kind of music you play. They like caribien music but hate country western. LOL.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:33 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by techigirl78
I'm looking more at the surrounds being effected.

Please don't laugh at my colorful blueprint, I was board at work:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wanted to know if I could put a 75 gal next to the 125 and leave the speaker hang about a foot above it. Right now the speakers are about 1.5' to the side and 1' above the 125.
The only problem I see is that you'll have different acoustical reflections coming from the left and right sides of the room. You should put another tank on the left as well!
Old 01/18/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I think your sofa is facing the wrong direction
Old 01/18/2006, 02:45 PM
The BS stops here!

If you could hear any difference at all, you have far superior hearing than any one that I have ever met.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:46 PM
Girl Geek

Quote:
by javajaws
I'd be worried more about the increased humidity affecting other components like a receiver...but even then that risk is pretty low that I wouldn't worry about it.
I worry about it too. I have a hygrometer and it hasn't gone over 45% yet. Have a dehumidifier in the next room and adding a fan for ventalation to prevent any future issues.

Quote:
by EmergencyDpt
Depends of what kind of music you play. They like caribien music but hate country western. LOL.
My fish seem to like to watch Discovery HD. Haven't played country music on my stereo, all the fish may jump at once and knock out the egg crate.

Quote:
by javajaws
The only problem I see is that you'll have different acoustical reflections coming from the left and right sides of the room. You should put another tank on the left as well!
I was thinking about getting rid of the whole furniture thing and just putting a messaging recliner in the center of the room that can spin 360. Then I could get a few more tanks. Just one piece to remove at a time and he'll never notice.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

You are adding a 3rd tank? I see the 125, the 90 and then you mentioned a 75 to be put by the 125.
Keep in mind that is alot of surface water for evaporation. I have 3 as well a 150 with 40 gallon sump, 92 corner with 30 gallon sump and a 125 gallon with 110 gallon fuge. When I added the 150 the humidity went way up. I have fans that run constantly to move air, I luckly have 2 entrances into my walkout basement so it creates a windtunnel effect. My house is about 5000 sq feet, but occasionally I get small amount of condensation on a couple of my windows.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:59 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by techigirl78
My fish seem to like to watch Discovery HD. Haven't played country music on my stereo, all the fish may jump at once and knock out the egg crate.
Ain't nothin' wrong with a little country! My coral beauty prances across the tank and swishes her tail when Honky Tonk Badonkadonk is playing on CMT...left...left...left right left...
Old 01/18/2006, 03:08 PM
Girl Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Loralie
You are adding a 3rd tank? I see the 125, the 90 and then you mentioned a 75 to be put by the 125.
Keep in mind that is alot of surface water for evaporation. I have 3 as well a 150 with 40 gallon sump, 92 corner with 30 gallon sump and a 125 gallon with 110 gallon fuge. When I added the 150 the humidity went way up. I have fans that run constantly to move air, I luckly have 2 entrances into my walkout basement so it creates a windtunnel effect. My house is about 5000 sq feet, but occasionally I get small amount of condensation on a couple of my windows.
Yes, planning to add a 55 gal sump/refugium and hooking that up to both a new 75 gal. and the existing 125 gallon. This is in my basement rec room. Under the stairs and on the utility side I have 70 gal sump/refugium plumbed to the 90 gal. Along with 30 gal fresh ro/di water and 30 gal salt water in containers and two QT tanks (20 gal & 10 gal). Also have a dehumidfier in the utility room that isn't currently running. To date I haven't had any condensation issues. You think adding 130gal will make that much of a difference? On the utility side I'm already planning on adding a fan for increased ventilation.
Old 01/18/2006, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

I actually have a Bose AM5 system for my rear surrounds. The subwoofer sits in the stand of my 210gal tank and the satellites site on top of the canopy. Haven't had any issues in 3 years. I am careful to regularly clean salt creep on my tanks though so it''s not an issue.
Old 01/18/2006, 03:51 PM
keyboard cowboy

a little off topic but you don't want your sub right next to your TV.....they create HUGE magnetic forces and should NOT be placed near any electronics.
Old 01/18/2006, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

My husband says that it can decrease the life of the individual speaker units, but only if the humidity gets too far from optimal.

What about a couple chaise lounge style chairs? No real backs to be concerned with :P .
Old 01/18/2006, 04:12 PM
Girl Geek

The loveseat has a low back, which works well. I can hang rest my head on the back and stare for hours in complete comfort.

Quote:
Originally posted by jent46bow
a little off topic but you don't want your sub right next to your TV.....they create HUGE magnetic forces and should NOT be placed near any electronics.
It is not a CRT TV, it is LCD. LCD technologies are not effected by magnets like CRT technologies as far as I know. Am I mistaken? I may move it into the corner anyways to increase base.
Old 01/18/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Had mains & subs near/around tanks for 6+ years - fish don't jump like I do when the........very quiet......to.....BANG! stuff goes on

Biggest issue I've ever had is tank lights causing issues with the screen (to bright, reflections, etc)......now they're on the same wall so I can watch the tank instead of commercials
Old 01/18/2006, 04:21 PM
keyboard cowboy

the picture itself may not be effected, and there are no guns so they will not have problems....but would you put a big magnet next to your computer tower even though it has no screen and you may not see a problem for years.......it can damage the equitment in time, I would not recomend it. One thing to keep in mind is that the frequency is so low that comes from a sub that humans can not determine where the sound is coming from. So it can go anywhere as long as it has an unubstructed view.
Old 01/18/2006, 04:25 PM
Girl Geek

Best to be safe rather than sorry I suppose. I'll move it to the corner just in case.
Old 01/18/2006, 04:30 PM
Girl Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikS
Had mains & subs near/around tanks for 6+ years - fish don't jump like I do when the........very quiet......to.....BANG! stuff goes on

Biggest issue I've ever had is tank lights causing issues with the screen (to bright, reflections, etc)......now they're on the same wall so I can watch the tank instead of commercials
Mine either, they seem like they could care less. New fish seem to react to it a bit though. Bet their thinking, why does that stupid woman need to play that dang movie so loud.

The screen I have isn't too bad with my lights. It has some anti-reflective glare lense.
Old 01/18/2006, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

I think subs have a shielding to provent them from interfering with the tv... like those middle satellitte that you put ON the tv... not sure