Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2006, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

Question Several Questions

Eggcrate - Has anyone found BLACK egg crate (aka "light diffuser") I can find white stuff all over the place, but I can't find any black, I need about two sheets (I think standard size is 2'x4' correct?). Does anyone know where to get this stuff in black?

Tank Flow - I'm getting really tired of my bryopsis problem, that nasty stuff get's so thick it cloged my 4 maxi-jet 1200's so bad they wouldn't run. So I got ticked and cleaned them out real good, and I did the mod. to them for higher flow and changing directions. WOW what a differance a few holes and a hacksaw can make... But now this beg's the question, how much flow is too much flow? I have a 120gal tank with 4x MJ1200's on a redsea wavemaster plus 2 x Tunze 6000's setup with the Tunze controller to 30-80% and 10-100% on interval 2, basically every 4 to 6 hours or one side of the tunze's runs at full power while the other runs reduced, then they switch. Add to that my return pump a Mag 18.... The tank is mostly SPS and Clams but I do have a few softies (zoa's mostly) and a couple LPS (hammer).

Sea Hare's - I'm getting real tempted about buying a sea hare mail order... I keep reading good things about them in other forums.... Has anyone had any experaince with these?

TIA!
Old 01/18/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

so get some white and paint it black i have heard of others doing that
Old 01/18/2006, 07:38 AM
Team RC Member

Eggcrate: I'm sure it's out there but you may have to look online since black would decease the light and it wouldn't diffuse. Local ??

Flow: never too much unless you are splashing it on the carpet! Ask Chad!

Sea Hare's: Just be careful and watch. Andy's has one down there but someone was eyeing it so I'd call before making the drive. They are sensitive but probably one of the most colorful animals in a tank. Make sure your water is perfect to eliminate the possibliltiy. Are you sure phosphates and nitrates are 0? I ask just because of the hair algae issue. Here are 2 articles I have saved on them, part 1 and 2:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...002/invert.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...003/invert.htm
Old 01/18/2006, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Black eggcrate-Aquatic Treasures in Fairview has some in their coral tanks but he wouldn't let on where he found it.
Old 01/18/2006, 10:35 AM
Moved On

OK, why in the world would someone keep the source of Black Eggcrate secret?
Old 01/18/2006, 10:44 AM
Will work for walnut

https://secure5.nexternal.com/shared...unt2=253776192
Old 01/18/2006, 10:55 AM
Moved On

Tried to copy the URL from the actual product page on the Modern Plastic site, but it gets cut down to the main site. Guess they want you looking at all their products.

I wonder if you should take a poll and place a bulk order. Since it is hard to locate and seems like a good idea for the tanks, might be able to gain interest in a big order and save on shipping cost.
Old 01/18/2006, 10:57 AM
Will work for walnut

Might also check with them to see if they have a local distributor.
Old 01/18/2006, 11:04 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes8017
OK, why in the world would someone keep the source of Black Eggcrate secret?
Maybe to sell it?
Old 01/18/2006, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Price per sheet of black eggcrate is $18.82

When I put two sheets in they wanted to charge me $25 in shipping for UPS GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't pay that much in shipping charges when I bought my Hamilton Light system, and that sucker had those heavy ballasts, and a 5' long light fixture!

SCREW THAT!

I'm going to the hardware store and buying white egg crate and a $2 buck can of black spray paint....

What a F*(@&% rip-off.

@DrBDC - Yes, I've finally managed to get my Nitrate and Phosphates to hit 0, at least what I can measure with the low-range test kits. I'm still using Phosban and carbon religiously, and I have both my skimmers set very wet....

The idea behind the sea hair (from what I've read) is that they actually love bryopsis (not normal HA), and will eat it. When they eat they poop alot, but the idea is that if your skimming heavy enough, and have enough flow, you should be able to skim out the sea hair poop before it turns into more bryopsis. Also since the sea hair can "pull" it out 24/7 it gives you a powerful leg up on the algea.

Of course there are down sides.... If could posion the tank, they are very finicky on water quality, etc....
Old 01/18/2006, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Sea hares are rather short lived animals that really do not do well in reef tanks at all.

They are not an animal that does well in lots of flow, are easily sucked into pump intakes and are often "picked to death" by hermit crabs.

Depending on the species that you are shipped, it may or may not eat bryopsis.

Not really a good choice for a reef tank.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 01/18/2006, 12:57 PM
Moved On

I can get any egg crate you need. Do you still need it. Metro lighting is who I go through to get it. 314-645-5656 I think that's the right number, ask for the city counter.
Old 01/18/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Marbles, Is that the Metro Lighting on Lindberg?
Old 01/18/2006, 01:09 PM
Non-smoker

The sea hare will starve to death after eating the bulk of the algae, they never eat it until it is completely gone. Not that I have to state it, but Capncapo is also correct.

Maybe reduce your photo period and switch food brands, if you already got a handle on Nit and Phos.
Old 01/18/2006, 01:09 PM
Non-smoker

They have one on Arsenal and Ivenhoe I think too.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

i have a large cowrie that is starting to really chow on my bryopsis and and lawnmower blenny that does the same as long as i keep him hungry---i got the cowrie at AT
Old 01/18/2006, 02:33 PM
Team RC Member

edit
Old 01/18/2006, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I have a sea hair and it has never touched my bryopsis. Cool little animal to watch when it is visable though. I have not seen mine for about 2 weeks. He seems to go in cycles. Will hide for several weeks then becomes active for several weeks.
Old 01/18/2006, 05:14 PM
Unregistered Member

does anyone have a link on that MJ modification
Old 01/18/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I wasn't able to find the thread I was refering too. It was a while back, maybe a year or two old thread here on RC, as I recall there was even a video posted showing the what the flow looks like now...

This is NOT the turn your MJ into a Tunze pump mod...

The mod I'm talking about, increases the flow output on your MJ, and also changes the water direction coming out of the MJ each time the pump power is cycled (because the direction the impeller is spinning changes each time the power is cycled).

In a nut shell, you take off bottom plastic that holds the impeller in. Drill 8 small holes around the strainer tube, then use a hacksaw to take off the outlet tube.

This basically leaves you with a MJ hanging there with a bigger rectangular hole for the output instead of the standard thin tube. The holes in the bottom next to the inlet strainer allow more water to be "sucked" into the chamber, and thus expelled thru the now wider outlet hole.

If there's a big interest I'll try to take some pic's, but I think more people are moding the MJ's into the Tunze style pumps now than anything else, heck there is even one website selling kits!
Old 01/18/2006, 07:09 PM
This Space For Rent

Here is the MJ mod thread rottie is refering to.
Old 01/18/2006, 07:28 PM
Will work for walnut

Actually, that's a different one. This one is just sawing off the nozzle and drilling some extra suction holes in the bottom.

Hold on, here's one one on the DFW site

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=12997
Old 01/18/2006, 07:49 PM
Team RC Member

Here's a quick easy guide of it down the page a little:

http://www.melevsreef.com/archives/2...1_archive.html
Old 01/19/2006, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

MayoBoy and DrBDC found it!!

I knew it was on the Melevsreef site someplace but I couldn't find it!
Old 01/21/2006, 06:51 PM
Moved On

You can get black eggcrate from www.lpfonline.com. That's where I got it.