Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2006, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Turbofloater 1000 multi

I have a turbofloater 1000 multi by aquamedic on my 75 gal tank and for some reason it is not producing foam or accumulating waste, does anyone know how i can solve this?

"What do you mean there is no such thing as the Money Tree?"
Old 01/09/2006, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

anyone?

Old 01/09/2006, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

How old is your tank?

How long has skimmer been on?

What is your SG?

is there air bubbles in the collumn?
Old 01/09/2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

my tank has been up for like 10 months and skimmer has been on just as long, my sg: 1.024, and yes there are air buble in water column

Old 01/09/2006, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

ok, how high is your water in the bubble chamber?
Old 01/09/2006, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

as far as i can see all the way but there is that black plastic and i can't really see 2 far past that

Old 01/09/2006, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

anyone?

Old 01/10/2006, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

help me please!

Old 01/10/2006, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

If you have water up to the correct location (as outlined in directions), on proper tilt, and correct working pump, I have not idea.

I would say double check the pump (needle wheel etc). I know mine did not work correctly till I read the directions. I put a ball valve on the skimmer inlet side. Works great now.
Old 01/10/2006, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Turn the black nobs on the skimmer water outputs to close off the flow some. This will cause the water level to rise higher and you should be able to foam over the top this way. (will require some adjusting obviously)
Old 01/10/2006, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Has your skimmer produced waste in the past?

The only other thing I would check is the restrictor on the pump inlet. The restrictor (on mine, resembles a hose barb that threads into the pump inlet) must be in place or will not produce the correct air/water mixture.

Once you do find the problem, it could still take several hours before it begins producing foam/waste.

Good luck.
Old 01/10/2006, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE][i]

The only other thing I would check is the restrictor on the pump inlet. The restrictor (on mine, resembles a hose barb that threads into the pump inlet) must be in place or will not produce the correct air/water mixture.

Is there anyway you can post a picture of this? I recently bought a Turobflotor 1000 MLS on E-Bay. My tank is not set up yet so - I'm kind of curious as to what you are talking about. I found a black piece of plastic - like a "nipple" and I was wondering if this is what you are talking about. And if it is - exactly where are you saying it goes. Inside of the pump housing?

Thanks for your help.

SaltyNovice
Old 01/12/2006, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

I can’t find any good pictures online (and mine is too buried to get at conveniently). My skimmer is several years old so they may be using different pumps, but I believe mine is an Aquabee pump. On my particular model, the intake side of the pump is almost flush to the pump case. There are internal threads on this part (maybe like 5/8 or 3/4�). The hose barb that you may have floating around should have a male thread to fit (with the barb end if I recall being like 3/8 or 1/2�), and this threads into the intake. There was a little strainer also that fits onto this hose barb.
Hope this helps.
Old 01/12/2006, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

what do you mean by the restricter? I have adjusted the knobs on the outlet flow and the foam gets to the top and alittle over the center of the cup but no junk will collect in the bottom of the cup becasue nothing foams over, i really need to get this figured out soon, so please help

Old 01/13/2006, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

anyone?

Old 01/13/2006, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hockeyben51
anyone?

I wish I could help you "HockeyBen51", but as I said I don't even have my tank set up yet. I have a FW 29 that I set it up on to see if if worked and made bubbles - but it would not skim FW - so I could just see the bubbling effect. I do know what you mean though - it didn't seem to me to be making "foam" like bubbles - mine were kind of big - but I may be wrong - I have no experience yet. I am reading your thread with interest though - 'cos I don't like the idea of spending 200.00+ and the thing doesen't work. I'll keep reading and I hope you get your answer, but if not - maybe we can work it out together. My tank will not be set up for another few weeks though and I know you need yours to work now. I know someone on here will be able to help you out. Maybe the Auqa-Medic folks - have you gone to their website or anything yet?

SaltyNovice
Old 01/13/2006, 08:41 AM
Want big tank back!!!!!

How much livestock is in your tank??? I have a turboflotor and for the longest time I was not producing any gunk and still after 4 years still not producing as other people say they get on their skimmers.

Everyone is my friend but there are 2 people in this world that I despice the most: Murphy and Bill
Old 01/13/2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

i have:
2 yellow clown goby
1 2inch regal tang
1 watchman goby yello
1 velvet damsel
1 yello tail damsel
2 ocell clowns
1 marron clown
1 engineer goby
4 chromis green
and of course clean crew of shrimps, crabs, snails

Old 01/13/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

SaltyNovice, the skimmer has worked great before and has collected plenty of gunk but right now isn't really doing that much and i find that strange.I have been to the aquamedic site and i haven't found it useful

Old 01/13/2006, 02:59 PM
Moved On

Maybe it's time to take the pump out and clean it out thoroughly. Check to make sure there is no restriction of the air inlet anywhere also.

D.
Old 01/13/2006, 03:01 PM
Moved On

Also do you stick your hands in your tank a lot? Doing so can throw your water out of whack and the skimmer won't skim for a couple days after that.
Old 01/13/2006, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

I agree. I added Zoecon and the skimmer did zero for a few days. I also agree that you must keep the air way clean on the pump. My fills with Ca deposits alot.

I recently spent a few hundred on more coral (got 3 days ago) and my skimmer and filters pads are get dirty stuff out like crazy..
Old 01/13/2006, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

As mentioned by others, I think you need to disassemble the pump and do a thorough cleaning. Take the impeller assembly out and clean both the impeller and the pump internals with clean water and a brush. Also, the venturi needs to be completely free of any calcium deposits. I use a drillbit for this purpose. Handle the parts with care as the parts are fragile.

If you are using the neck extension, remove it. I always set the outlet flow (the two knobs) so that the arrow/indicator is perpendicular to flow. This seems to maximize the water level in the chamber, although the printed instructions are not entirely clear on this.
Old 01/13/2006, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

ok i will do this and get back to you

Old 01/14/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

appears to be working and alot of foam is being produced!!! thank you guys so much