Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2006, 12:47 AM
WRS Member

how would one or 2 seahorses or pipefish do in a low flow refugium

was just wondering if this would work. it's about a 15 gallon refugium being lit by PC lights and growing cheatomorpha. Low flow through.

nothing else in it besides a few smnails and an emerald crab and lot of bugs.
Old 01/06/2006, 08:53 AM
Moved On

I know people who have seahorses in their fuge. It does change the concept of fuge, though. If this is a refuge for pods to spawn and throw larvae to your main display, putting a predator in it will make it just a sump!

Does it have a large layer of substrate? It might be a bit short for seahorses, but pipes would be OK? Some are really finicky, be sure to research the less finicky types...
Old 01/06/2006, 09:37 AM
WRS Member

Yes, it may be a bit short for a seahorse at 10" of water. I started thinking of that after I wrote the first post. What do you think about 10" for water height?

And I understand it may deplete the population of pods etc. But I seriously question how many pods, etc make it through to the tank in my setup. I'm not sure that I believe that any do. Something to think about though.

Which pipefish are the most hardy?
Old 01/06/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

10" is to short. I have seen Reidi grow over 10". They wouldn't even be able to stand up per say.

How low flow is the refugium. Seahorse setups rule of thumb is to turn the tank over 3 to 5x an hour, is your refugium really that low?

Also what is your display temp. Most seahorses like it in the mid 70's, while some need it even lower than that.

IMHO if you want seahorses or pipes you should setup a tank just for them. They are fun enough to watch.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 01/06/2006, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seahorsewisprer
I know people who have seahorses in their fuge. It does change the concept of fuge, though. If this is a refuge for pods to spawn and throw larvae to your main display, putting a predator in it will make it just a sump!
I had to put a fuge on my fuge when I added a pipefish in there!! It was suppose to be a temporary housing for him but they will suck up all the pods in the blink of an eye. I literally put one of those CPR "hang on the back" fuges on the fuge and put the pipe in there.
Old 01/06/2006, 03:57 PM
Parapterois heterura

I rather like the application of a fishless refugium flowing over/into a seahorse diplay. It can be a significent source of natural microcrustaceans (I do like Chaetomorpha for the matrix to grow bugs upstrem, BTW)

Anth-