Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2006, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Question anyone use Kent Marine's NanoReef Parts A & B?

anyone use this stuff? does it work well? i have a 10g lps/softie tank and was wondering if this is the only additive i would need? when it says it contains all elements, does that include things such as magnesium and strotium? also, for people who have used this, does it contain enough calcium to raise ppm to around 400?
Old 01/03/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

i have the same questions.

bump
Old 01/03/2006, 02:36 PM
Hermit with Featherduster

I haven't started using this yet but I have found that most products like this are not meant to raise calcium but to maintain the current level so you would need something else to raise the calcium level. Other than that it is supposed to take care of all other dosing. HTH, Skip
Old 01/03/2006, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

so if i used a calcium supplement to get the reading up to about 400ppm iniatially(sp?), i could just use the nanoreef stuff after that to maintain the calcium level?
Old 01/04/2006, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

I use Kent's A and B, I haven't tested calcium in about a month, because I have amazing corraline growth, and all the corals are fine. I have a couple leathers, a couple blasto merletti's, a few rics, and a bunch of zoos. The only other thing that I have dosed with is phytoplankton also from kent. If you have any other questions ask away.
Old 01/04/2006, 06:43 AM
Hermit with Featherduster

njp14333,
That it pretty much been my experience. Use another procuct or kalwasser to raise the calcium level then unless you have some monsterous calcium demand this should maintain the level. HTH, Skip
Old 01/04/2006, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Me and a friend both started using the kent nano supplement about 4 months ago. It does add all the necessary supplements you need, but the calcium additive is not enough to raise it , only to help maintain it at a proper level. Currently we are using a calcium additive called PURPLE UP, by carrib-sea. So far it is doing great. In our experience it is one of the easiest calcium additives to use and it does great for coraline algea growth. Also for the price, in a nona tank the bottle will last you for a long long time.
Old 01/04/2006, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

so would this stuff raise the calcium level initially? (i already have it laying around so i mine as well use it if it works.)
Old 01/04/2006, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

o and also, quick question, does the kent nanoreef stuff contain iodine?
Old 01/04/2006, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I dont know if that stuff you have will work or not. I have never seen or used that product. Yes th kent nano reef does contain iodine.
Old 01/04/2006, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Njp- I have heard some good things about that stuff you have, so that should be fine if you added it. And yes the kent stuff has iodine and other trace elements.
Old 01/04/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

You don't need purple up or green up or yellow up or throw up or other ups'
You don't need iodine, especially if you didn't know that you need to know the iodIDE and iodATE levels first.
You don't need strontium.
You don't need molybenum
You don't need kryptonite.

You need water changes, weekly and consistently.

DO NOT DOSE WHAT YOU DON"T TEST FOR!!!!!!

Kents Part A and B will help those who need some mild buffering and mild calcium supplementation.

If you have a nano reef filled with SPS, LPS, it's been up for a year and your calcium is 200 and your alkalinity is low....you should supplement

If your tank is 2 months old, chances are VERY HIGH that you need to do NOTHING.

Don't treat numbers. Don't dose your tank. The best treatment for your tank is to take five steps back and look at it. Is it doing well? Yes? Water changes. JMO. SH
Old 01/04/2006, 01:10 PM
Now give me a dollar!

Quote:
Originally posted by steelhealr
You don't need purple up or green up or yellow up or throw up or other ups'
You don't need iodine, especially if you didn't know that you need to know the iodIDE and iodATE levels first.
You don't need strontium.
You don't need molybenum
You don't need kryptonite.

You need water changes, weekly and consistently.

DO NOT DOSE WHAT YOU DON"T TEST FOR!!!!!!

Kents Part A and B will help those who need some mild buffering and mild calcium supplementation.

If you have a nano reef filled with SPS, LPS, it's been up for a year and your calcium is 200 and your alkalinity is low....you should supplement

If your tank is 2 months old, chances are VERY HIGH that you need to do NOTHING.

Don't treat numbers. Don't dose your tank. The best treatment for your tank is to take five steps back and look at it. Is it doing well? Yes? Water changes. JMO. SH

I got bitten by the supplemental bug once. Man can that wreck a tank.

carl
Old 01/05/2006, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

See that Carl....see what happens when I read your post...I'm becoming you. LOLOLOL. I hear ya...threw out my Seachem iodide test kit and the strontium bottle. SH
Old 01/05/2006, 01:38 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

I can't help but agree. Besides, I have heard several reports of the nano version causing algae problems due to the fact that it contains iron. Just a normal, balanced calcium/alkalinity supplement (Tech CB, B-Ionic, kalkwasser, etc) and water changes are all that are necessary for a successful and healthy tank, IME.
Old 01/05/2006, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

I haven't had any problems with algae yet. But then again my tank was up for a few months prior to adding the 2 part. I also filter with carbon, a skimmer, and have a 10 gallon fuge on my 6 gallon, so one of those may have got the iron.