Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2006, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Seahorse tank planning

Hey,

I have been contemplating whether or not I should set up a seahorse tank for a few months, and I finally think I may be ready.

Right now, I have a 15g tall that is a reef. I am going to tear that down and make it into a seahorse tank. I have read that for a 15g tall, the only species that I could have a pair of h. Kuda, h. Capensis, or h. Fuscus. Which one of these horses would you recommend?

I understand that a 15g isn't much of a tank..but these species would survive in it. I would have a Remora skimmer for the tank. I have also thought about upgrading to a 20g tall...but would rather not becuase I already have good lights for the 15g.

As far as aquascaping, I would like to have plenty of macro for the horses to hitch on. Also, I will be starting with dead Lr, and dead sand...probably the black kind, but will depend ont he color of the species. I would like a to have a tall LR pillar that would be constucted out of PVc pipe, and the LR would be starpped to the PVc with cable ties. In the pillar, I would like to have a feeding station where I oculd just drop the food into a tube, which owuld then go to a little feeding bowl made out of rock.

As far as water movement goes, the skimmer will provide a bit of movement, but the main flow will come out of a pump that is attatched to a spray bar. should this be at the bottom of the tnak or top of the tank? Do you think I will need some sort of HOB filter/ refugium?

Let me know if oyu have any suggestions,

Thanks,

CJ
Old 01/01/2006, 06:33 PM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

I am also in the planning stages of my first seahorse tank. I would upgrade to the 20gal if possible. There are mixed opinions on going with a skimmer because of it sending micro bubbles into the tank witch can cause gas bubble disease in your seahorse. Im not going to use one. Also why not go with some branch tonga live rock instead of constructing rock with PVC. Refugiums are cool, but if you have a bunch of macro in your tank you may not need one.
Old 01/01/2006, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I was also concerned about the skimmer putting bubbles in the tank. I will have to research that...but will probably have the skimmer and maybe some sort of bubble trap.

Tonga is a good idea. Maybe mix in the tonga with the dead rock. I have always wanted a LR tower, and I think a SH tank would be the perfect place to put one since the horses will be able to hitch on it in different places.

The only reaosn I would have a refugium is to help support the pod population. I owuld just have a bunch of LR in it with some sand.
Old 01/01/2006, 07:49 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

For live rock go to Phishy's. A tad bit more $ than some places... but he has a huge bin full of it and I was pulling out some pieces the other day (looking for some pieces for my tank) and I am so mad I don't have my tank up now. You have to atleast get a few pieces from him.
Old 01/01/2006, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

yhou don't need lights for seahorses, really...
just whatever you keep in the tank with them, or enough for you to see by.
I just have a NO light strip laying over my tank until I save up $150 for the lights I want...
Old 01/01/2006, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Jordan- getting LR from Phishy is a given. I really wasn't planning on using much live rock...mostly dead rock so that I don't introduce any bad things to the tank...but i would need to seed the dead rock, so i will get some rock from him. I was thinking about getting one of those 50+ pound rocks for the tank!!!

I already have the lights...so I might as well use them. They are PC's, so this way i could end up keeping corals if i wanted to.
Old 01/01/2006, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

If you are using a 15g why bother with a skimmer? You will be doing water changes every week right? I was also afraid of bubbles so I decided to stay with the eclipse unless I ran into problems afterwards. I did have problems in the beginning because I did not have enough live rock, sand, and macro algae in my tank. I do have a problem keeping gorgonians in my tank because of my lighting so I only keep mushrooms and macros in the tank. I use tonga for my horses to hitch on. I had a beautiful piece of fake coral from signature corals but after a while it got algae all over it and looked nasty so I got rid of it. The horses loved it though. Now they use tonga to hitch on.
Old 01/02/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

I think you should get fuscus. They would do well in a 15g. They are a sub spieces of Kuda, but full grown kuda would not do well in such a system. Fuscus for sure. It is the best option all around. I think Fuscus would make you quite happy.

The skimmer is pointless if you want to grow maco's, they compete for the same nutrients. You will need some type of light to sustain the macro algaes.

Other than that I say Fuscus.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 01/02/2006, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

do you know where I could get fuscus horses? I havn't had much luck finding info about fuscus, or where I could purchase them.
Old 01/02/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Anyone have any tips on how to build a LR pillar? I think I could just cable tie a bunch of LR together...but it may not be sturdy.
Old 01/02/2006, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

fuscus are very rare, and hard to find... dunno why he said to get those, I'd go for caps since they are easier to find, are captive bred, ect.

make DIY rock garf (.com or .org? I forget) gives immense instructions on how to do it
Old 01/02/2006, 12:37 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

If you wanted a pillar.... you could probably get away without using any pipes or ties. If you get like 3 larger size rocks (like tad bigger than a softball) and like 2 or 3 smaller size rocks (like a baseball) you could probably build it yourself. Rocks are like a puzzel, every peice will fit... you just need to find the right pieces.

With Phishy around, and your dead rocks....you could see what are getting and go from there.

And if some rocks are not that stable... you could use a tie here and there.
Old 01/02/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I would like the pillar to look like this:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...t=1&thecat=500

I think it would look sweet with some macro growing off it..and maybe even my toadstool leather. I would somehow incorperate a feeding station on or in the pillar.

As far as fuscus go...i have only been able to find a couple pics of them...let alone someone who owns a pair or is selling a pair. I am going to do a couple of tests with the 15g right now to see if the temps would be low enough to keep a pair of caps.
Old 01/02/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

you could pm him and find out-I'd be willing to bet he drilled holes in the rock and ran pvc through it.

thats really interesting though!!! you have a great idea, and don't let others discourage ya
Old 01/02/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I don't think he is active on this site.......hasn't posted for a while.
- I did PM him, though.

I can definantly rule out getting fuscus...since they are aperantly extremely hard to find in the US. I guess my only other option for the 15g is a pair of Capensis. I don't know if I will be able to keep the temperature low enough for them. Anyone have any tips on keeping the temp low without a chiller?
Old 01/02/2006, 07:03 PM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

You can run a fan across the top of your tank.
Old 01/02/2006, 07:11 PM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

That live rock pillar is cool! Maybe you can use PVC and epoxy?
Old 01/03/2006, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

alright guys, from the advice gathered here, and on another website, i think i may need to upgrade tank size to be able to keep a pair of seahorses that aren't capensis. I don't think I will be able to keep my temperature low enough for them.

I was thinking a 30g ewtra high migth do the trick. its dimensions are 24x12x24.

What kind of horses could I keep in a 30g?
Old 01/03/2006, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

that be awsome...
reidi, kuda, erectus... most any of them

EXCEPT ingens, abdominalis (pot-belly), and dwarfs (too small for it) ingens and pot bellies get WAY too big!!!

I like reidi, but I'm biased. go for erectus: ease to find, and care for...
Old 01/03/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

My LFS has some CB erectus in stock right now. I am deffinantly going to do some research on the species the would be right for the tank.
Old 01/03/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

For your rock pillar you can use fiberglass rods you get at any home store. You use a masonary drill to drill the rock and then epoxy the rods into rock to hold everything together.

Ken
Old 01/03/2006, 02:24 PM
Moved On

CJ, if you get the erectus, can we do some fry trading? I want to upgrade my DNA base!
Old 01/03/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I dont know. I really never thought abour raising fry if i were to get any from the horses.

What would be the best species of horse for a 20g high? I am just not sure about a 30g extra high.
Old 01/03/2006, 03:51 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Cj... I was thinking of doing the 30 extra high. I called Jacks at Easton... they said you have to order one and it could be around 60$ or so. If you have the money, go for it.

I was going to do the 20 high... but I don't know why I lost that idea. 20X10X24 isn't a bad tank size for horses. You have easily the 18 inches of height they like, and 20 inches long isn't too bad. The 10 inches of width may be hard for rock structure though.

I think the more gallons could always help. I feel so hypacritical. I was so stuck on that 20 gallon, now that I am going with the 25... I feel good about no doing the 20. Even though it is only 5 more gallons, it is also like 4 more inches in height.

I say to atleast shoot on the 18 inches of height... with that said... I go with the 20 extra high, 30 extra high, or 35 gallon hex.

Also, why not choose Serdar's erectus?
Old 01/03/2006, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

I am still thinking about erectus....but with a 30g tank, there are a lot more species of horses to look at...like Kudas, Reidi, erectus, whieti.....

I am still looking at tank sizes, too.