Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2005, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

AquaPod vs Nano Cube

I have a 6 gallon Nano Cube. I want to go bigger but I'm not sure if I should stay with JBJ or try the AquaPod. Any suggestions?
Old 12/25/2005, 09:50 AM
IM KING NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

wait for now and see what all comes of the aquapod. i am selling my nanocube 12 to someone in my reef club cause i want an aqaupod. just my2 cents
Old 12/25/2005, 10:37 AM
sarcastic reply expert

my LFS just got a bunch of the 12g aquapods in now. they are NICE!
Old 12/25/2005, 07:00 PM
Moved On

Where can I see one of these? It is the first I have heard about them.
Thanks
Old 01/01/2006, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Try http://www.Nanocustoms.com or http://www.ah-supply.com
These websites will tell you all about the AquaPods.
I got mine at my LFS in St. Louis. It was the only/last on they had yesterday. I was not expecting to see one becasue of all the "talk" about how they were low on supply until after Christmas. But then again it is now after Christmas.
Good Luck.
Old 01/02/2006, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

people are saying that the aquapods have a short in their plugs are could potentially shock you
Old 01/02/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

millerp,
Yes I read that post on here somewhere. I do not have mine on a timer yet. I have them plugged into different outlets.
I don't think I will test it myself, I'm not a fan of electric shock. I'm waiting to see what the guy finds out when he calls Current USA tomorrow. If there is a defect in all models and not just his, I'm confident Current will stand by their product and make sure it can be fixed.
Thanks
Old 01/05/2006, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Hi,
I just wanted you all to know that my Aquapod has the electrical problem previously mentioned. I have contacted Current-USA and they are standing by their product and sending me an adaptor that will attach to the power cords and fix the problem. You can read the posts under the Subject Caution! Aquapod 12 shocking!! Not all their tanks have this problem. I still like the sleek design and am keeping mine.
Thank you
Old 01/06/2006, 02:04 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Also wait and see the new All-Glass "all-in-one" that is coming out soon. My local club is going to get a sneak preview with a rep at our next meeting on the 14th, so Ill let everyone know. AGA claims it will be 'best in class'.
Old 01/06/2006, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

I was very 'pro' AquaPod based on early design descriptions and reports. I am now reading of shoddy construction and electrical problems. SH
Old 01/06/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

I like the look of the nano cube still.

So one vote for JBJ.
Old 01/06/2006, 07:56 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Im tellin ya, All-Glass has a contender. I will take pics and post them for you all to see on the 14th. I dont know much about it, as there have been 0 previews, but AGA claims it will best the JBJ cubes and the like.
Old 01/10/2006, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

the aqau pod that i have has clear rubber fittings on its swiches so there is no chance of shock........i hope. is yours the same . and do know they have a one year warrenty i love mine thanks to my girlfriend x-mas present i love you kat
Old 01/10/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

As long as we're on the topic, I just bought a 24 gallon deluxe Nano cube. I've been wanting one for a while and finally bought it. I love the look of the nano and was excited when I set it up. Somebody else I was talking to told me that nano cubes are known to cause fires because of bad ballasts or the tank itself will crack and spill water all over the place. From what I've been reading I haven't come across any posts about this. Does anybody know anything about this or have had any negative personal experiences?
Old 01/10/2006, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I just got the 24 gal. haven't heard about electric issue with it. Let me know if you have. One + that I like about the aquapod is individual switches for each light. my buddy has a 12 gal nano and all lights run off one ballast. cannot set timers for individual lights. here is a shot of mine.

Juan
Old 01/11/2006, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjoz
Hi,
I still like the sleek design and am keeping mine.
Thank you

Sleek design?? It looks like the old OG nano cube. The new nano cube has a way better look then the Aquapod. The plastic does'nt look cheap on the Nano cube.
Old 01/11/2006, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KPOLYP
the aqau pod that i have has clear rubber fittings on its swiches so there is no chance of shock........i hope. is yours the same . and do know they have a one year warrenty i love mine thanks to my girlfriend x-mas present i love you kat

KPolyp,
My 12 gal does have the clear rubber covers on the switches on the top cover.
Old 01/11/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

rschlecht,
I have not heard anything about fires with the NanoCube. I have read that there is a problem with the 2005 model of the 24 gals cracking.
Old 01/12/2006, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Kjoz,
Thanks. The cracking is all I've been able to find any info on. I bought a 2006 model and have had it up and running for only about a week now. The tank is cycling and so far so good, but we'll see.
Old 01/13/2006, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

FYI:

http://www.current-usa.com/products/safetyrecall.html

Some are being recalled. Kudos to Current for stepping up and doing a recall.

I received this last night on this forum under a different Subject.
Old 01/15/2006, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Happyasaclam
Sleek design?? It looks like the old OG nano cube. The new nano cube has a way better look then the Aquapod. The plastic does'nt look cheap on the Nano cube.
Happyasaclam,

Sorry, I am not familiar with the OG nano cube.

I like everything under one "roof" so to speak. Everything is under the hood...neat, tidy and sleek.
Old 01/15/2006, 05:28 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Sorry guys. No info yet on the AGA 'BIO-CUBE' other than the name. Our meeting was at the home of Matt Allen, who does the marketing for AGA, KENT, ESU (Coralife), Oceanic, etc...and the presentation was done by his buddy, Jeff Turner, one of the founding members of ORA. The AGA product was quickly forgotten since we had special ORA goods, and other nifty door prizes and a 210g schweeeet system to look at.

I will know as soon as it comes out, and prolly have pics. I will try to pump Matt for more info, but the delay from what I remember is something with the lighting/ballasts. AGA really wants to get things right the first time here, but when Matt promises big, he usually delivers bigger. The JBJ, and many other 'cubes' are just cheap Chinese products that are rebadged and sold here for a good margin. But the AGA is going to be a REAL system, not something you have to rip apart to make work well.

Ill keep you posted.