Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2005, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Cerith Snail

Dr. Ron

You identified a Cerith snail egg mass earlier this month for me and I appreciate the ID. I was able to catch her? actually laying the eggs today when the lights came on and was able to get a photo .

There have been several egg masses laid in the last few weeks in the tank and I am just curious if they will hatch in an aquarium environment or is it difficult to raise the fry in such an environment?

I know that you will be out until Saturday and that you are having some medical issues and I hope it is nothing serious, so no hurry on the answer.

Thought you might enjoy a close-up pic of the Cerith laying the egg mass..

Thanks, Jerry

Old 12/17/2005, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

Nice image!! [thanks] for sharing.

Yes, it is a her. Males don't lay eggs.

The eggs hatch to give swimming larvae. In most of our tanks, such larvae starve in the water from lack of appropriate phytoplankton or are eaten in turn by such animals as corals, and other carnivorous suspension-feeders.
Old 12/17/2005, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Dr. Ron for the reply!

I figured that there would not be much of a chance for the survival of the larvae, but it is interesting seeing all of the egg masses they have been laying.

they have been very busy lately...

-Jerry