Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2005, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Refillable DI Cartridge as Cheapy Kalkreactor?

{This is double-posted from Randy's water chem expert forum because I'd like to get a wide range of replies.}

While browsing for DIY kalk reactors, I got the idea of using a spare ro/di filter housing from Calvin at nano-reef.

Can I simply fill a refillable DI resin cartridge with pickling lime and place this housing in-line w/ my top off supply? All top-off water will be forced to slowly pass through the calc hydrox powder and hopefully only fully dissolved, clear effluent emerges from the housing to enter the sump.

What'cha think?

Thanks for your helpful opinions.

P K
Old 11/25/2005, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

I use one of these as a second reactor chamber in my Calcium reactor to help scrub off excess CO2. If the same housing I have, it is not large, but might hold a considerable amount of powder. (I've never used pickeling lime of kalk) You could probably do it, but I'd be concerned about consistancy of the high - pH effluent possibly causing wide fluctuations in the tank pH. I would think a slow consistant drip,(such as from a dosing pump), would be best. And you might need the pressure generated from this type of pump to push up through a bed of kalk powder if the housing is set vertical. You'll have to experiment with how full to fill the housing with kalk Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full to help ensure clear powder free water coming off.) A fresh water make-up pump that turns off and on would probably stir-up the powder too much. Just keep a close eye on pH, etc. You definately don't want spikes! A constant - reading pH probe would be the easiest way to keep tabs on pH. You will have to adjust the drip to match the alk. / calc. needed. (You'll probably have to run this along with a fresh water make-up since water evaporation and alk / calc. need will almost certainly be different - esp. in a nano.) These are just my thoughts - I've never tried this. Give it a try, just watch parameters very closely.
Old 11/25/2005, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Bashduo.

Any other opinions?

I was planning to adjust the amount of kalkwater and pH impact through a bypass valve.

A diagram of what I am trying to do;
Old 11/28/2005, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Give it a try. Just keep a close eye on the water paremeters until "dialed-in".
Old 11/28/2005, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

I think it's definitely worth a shot, but I'd be more worried about getting a solution concentrated enough, rather than spiking ph. With nothing doing the mixing, you may never come anywhere near saturation, IOW.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 11/28/2005, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

"Tinkering" - The joy of a reef system...
Old 12/03/2005, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

that will not work, you need to be airtight to keep the kalk mixed in solution. In your the Calcium will precipitate out of solution in your makeup water tank, unless somehow you can make it airtight also.