Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2005, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

Angry Murderer

I had a neon green clove that was doing well and happy in the tank. It was fully open two days ago before the lights were out. Next day, when the lights went back up, it was no longer there. The whole clove disappeared, only the small rock it was attached to was still there.

My wife was sad and searched everywhere for hours, but it just disappeared in the small 46 gallon tank. No sign of its body, not in the filter, skimmer, etc. During the search, she spotted a white furry "spider" like thing crawling in between the rock.

Thanks to John (Badmort)'s advice, we put three glass cups in the tank with a slice of small shrimp in each of them. Sure enough, we cought it the next morning.

As you can see, it turns out to be a small and furry crab, no bigger then a quarter, but slightly bigger then a nickle. We think it is responsible for the disappearance of the clove, because that's the only thing we cought thoughtout the night with three traps, no bristle worms or anything else, and it was found on the same rock as the clove was.

My wife was mad at it, but now that it is sitting in a small glass, she actually think it is kinda cute, and wanted to keep it in the glass. In anyway, it'll not be going back to the tank for sure.
Old 11/07/2005, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

put him in the sump or fuge.
Old 11/07/2005, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Don't have one. Still trying to figure out what to do with the crab. Would that thing stay in the skimmer box hehe
Old 11/07/2005, 07:04 AM
Premium Member

Give it to a buddy reefer or an lfs say how bout credit and they might bite.
Old 11/07/2005, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Giving it to a lfs and it may get sold to a reefer that don't know it's not reefsafe.
Old 11/07/2005, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

why dont you just feed him to a puffer or trigger? dont stop the food chain
Old 11/07/2005, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Set up a little nano for it!
Old 11/07/2005, 12:42 PM
Registered my member

I was pointed to this thread. I found the exact same thing in my tank yesterday. As soon as he saw me he crawled back in the rock. I haven't noticed anything missing yet but it looks like he might in the future.

Is your rock from the Marshall Islands by chance? Anthony Calfo said its from there and it likes to eat Sarcophyton coral.

Very cool looking crab but I'm not sure I'll ever catch it with my hermit, emerald, peppermint and cleaner shrimp lurking around the tank as well.

Btw, could you explain how you caught it. I know you said you used 3 glasses. ON their sides or stood upright? What keeps the crab from leaving the glass when he's done?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11/07/2005, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

it's toilet crab, belong to the toilet..
Old 11/07/2005, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

I had a teady bear crab and it never bothered my corals but I suspect it may have been the down fall of a fish or two. I moved it to a tank without fish, but did have some soft corals and monti cap frags. It was smaller then a dime, when I first saw it and got silver dollar sized before dying. I would feed it shrimp and silversides by hand. Definitely behaved like a predator. I don't know the hole in the rock it lived it kept getting bigger to accommodate him. I suspect their must be a chemical in its fuzzy shell that eat away at the rock. Cool animal if you ask me.
Old 11/07/2005, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

can i have it? i have a 2.5 with nothing but rock and a hermit just sitting that could use some personality
Old 11/07/2005, 05:17 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by john37
Definitely get rid of it! I had one a couple of years back and it was a horror to finally catch and kill! Killed all my snails, starfish and whatever it's nasty claws can get at!

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 11/07/2005, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hpmcbroom
Give it to a buddy reefer or an lfs say how bout credit and they might bite.
Well, if I give it to a "buddy" reefer, he's not gonna be my "buddy" anymore if he doesn't know what he's getting into, right?
Old 11/07/2005, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raskal311
Giving it to a lfs and it may get sold to a reefer that don't know it's not reefsafe.
That's a good point. Didn't think of that.
Old 11/07/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john37
Again, don't have any. Will clowns eat it?
Old 11/07/2005, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by won digity
Set up a little nano for it!
Uhhhh, I think it is in a wine cup sized nano right now. My wife put the little rock that the clove was attached to in the cup with him, saying that'll remind him of the crime he comitted, and he just might feel guilty of what he did.
Old 11/07/2005, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oceanlanz
That's what I said.
Old 11/07/2005, 07:54 PM
Moved On

Possibly a gorilla crab or Gaillardiellus superciliaris Odhner

or maybe related to the 2...
Old 11/07/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tibbs2

Is your rock from the Marshall Islands by chance? Anthony Calfo said its from there and it likes to eat Sarcophyton coral.

Very cool looking crab but I'm not sure I'll ever catch it with my hermit, emerald, peppermint and cleaner shrimp lurking around the tank as well.

Btw, could you explain how you caught it. I know you said you used 3 glasses. ON their sides or stood upright? What keeps the crab from leaving the glass when he's done?
Yup, I have majority of Marshall (~60lbs) and some Fiji (~12lbs), it was found in the largest piece of Marshall in the tank. I am sure glad it was cought before it had a chance to do any damage to the toadstool frags on the same rock.

I put three glasses in the tank with slices of shrimp in it. The glasses I used are similar to these: http://www.klinq.com/details.asp?pro...spot=spotLoc-3|details.asp|prodid-102040

I believe the curved sides of the glass'll further prevent any critters from getting out, but I was told and have seen posts that said any drinking glass will do.

I thawed the shrimp until I could actually smell it, and put the glasss slightly tilted, leaning on the sides of the rock where the crab was last seen after the lights were off and fish were asleep. The crab showed up just 10 mins after the glasses were in place, but took a while to get in.

You don't want to lay the glasses flat on the sand, or the crab can simply crawl out. If you let it stood upright, you'll have to make sure it is touching the rock so there's a way for any critter to get in. However, I believe you'll have better luck if you tilt the glasses a bit, so the critter think its "crawling" to the food. They are smart, and I saw it wondering around the glass, sort of examing the glass & food before it finally made the move hours later. So it might not fall into the trap if it figures it'll just "free fall" onto the food.

With all the livestock you have in your tank it'll be more difficult. If you do catch your own livestock, you'll just have to get it out and keep trying or put them in a spare tank until you catch the crab.

BTW, isn't hermit & emerald not-reefsafe as well?
Old 11/07/2005, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Mine never bothered the other crabs in my tank. but I kept it well fed
Old 11/07/2005, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oceanlanz
BTW, my wife said we are both mean. Funny, she was the one that wanted it DEAD.
Old 11/07/2005, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Hammer. Thimble of butter. Snack time. Problem solved.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. I am so ashamed.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 11/07/2005, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rscott76
can i have it? i have a 2.5 with nothing but rock and a hermit just sitting that could use some personality
At this moment I think my wife wants to keep it. I'll let you know if anything changes.
Old 11/07/2005, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FunkieReefJunkie
Hammer. Thimble of butter. Snack time. Problem solved.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. I am so ashamed.
You mean

Then

Sure, on the day that Laker goes to playoff.
Old 11/07/2005, 10:05 PM
Moved On

you might be suprised...the lakers are looking good so far...Phil jackson=best coach ever