Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2002, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Location: Chula Vista, CA 'til Aug., then Richmond, VA for the next 4 years!
Whats a good RO/DI unit. What do you use?

I'm tired of buying water from the vending machine in front of Kmart! It is a big hassle and my back is starting to give in. I really dont' kow much about these RO/DI units. All I know is that water gets pushed through all these filters and all the bad stuff gets filtered out. My question is... what company makes good units? What characteristics make a good RO/DI unit. What RO/DI unit do you use?

My tank is a 55g so I won't need a big one. Although I plan on getting a 200 milliion gallon tank when I get a real job !
Old 03/09/2002, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Check out Aquatic Reef Systems RO/DI systems. I just bought one and am very happy with it.
Old 03/09/2002, 10:48 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

I've been running a SpectraPure for a few years now and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 03/09/2002, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Howdy Hydo =)

I've loved my Spectrapure RO system. I've had this unit for 5 years and never had a problem with it. Good quality for the price IMO. =)

I just ordered a doser from them toooo.

LOL, I just checked thier site to find thier pics are down right now, so maybe check em out tomorrow. =P
Old 03/09/2002, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Wink

I've been running a Kent 24 tfc with a add on DI and been happy with it now for two years.
Old 03/10/2002, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Kent & Spectrapure are both top notch units. I use the Kent Maxxima 35 Hi-S and have been very pleased with it.
Old 03/10/2002, 12:38 AM
AquariumPros.ca

http://aquariumwaterfilter.com - ReefPure ---Very good units and service. You will get a FREE TDS meter when you place an order this month too!!

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com - AquaFX - Very nice units too...

I have used the Kent units, and they are OK...I do prefer the ReefPure unit though. I now have a ReefPure 200GPD Tsunami - 7-stage RO/DI with booster pump, in-line TDS meter, TFC membrane flush kit, drinking water kit...GREAT unit! I have 175+ ppm in TDS @ the tap, and 000 ppm TDS out! Very happy!

The Kent unit the ReefPure replaced:

New ReefPure unit:

Both filters together:

Good luck and HTH...
Old 03/10/2002, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

RO/DI Units

I have an 80 GPD Stectrapure unit with a flush kit and purity monitor. I have been very happy with the unit.
Old 03/10/2002, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

I'm using a spectrapure and it's working great for me.
Old 03/10/2002, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I have heard good things about all of the above mentioned brands. I personally use a Kent Marine Hi-S 60 GPD unit. Got it at a great price (used) and have had absolutely no problems.
Old 03/10/2002, 12:03 PM
Reef Crazy

Aquatic Reef Systems all the way! I bought the discount RO/DI 50gpd unit for $160 and it works awesome. Even the discount unit uses the same quality filters and gives the same quality results. Most brands are just relabeled stuff anyway. Go with Aquatic Reef Systems, you won't regret it. The Customer Service is awesome too.

Dan
Old 03/10/2002, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

I just got my 5-stage from Walter at www.airwaterice.com and made about 25 gallons yesterday afternoon. Works great and the price was very good. He lists it at $139 but if you mention you saw it on eBay, he sells them for $129. I ordered an extra filter pack and TDS meter at the same time and got it in a week.

Give it a look...

http://www.airwaterice.com/5_stage_reefkeeper.htm

Doug
Old 03/10/2002, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Hydro, give Bryan at Aquatic Reef Systems a call/e-mail. He is a sponsor here and has some very good prices. I ordered one from him on Thursday. He gave me a real good price, but haven't received it yet. He is good to talk to and will try to help you out. He does have a special on a 2 unit system for around 80.00 but probably can get you something a little better for not much more money. At least check him out as another option.
Old 03/10/2002, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I have a Reefpure 7 stage unit as well. I definately put my vote in for it. Makes water fast, is inexpensive, and uses the same parts as everyone else.

Mine is a 200GPD with 3 DI cartridges, sediment, and carbon block.

Ryan
Old 03/10/2002, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

I just put a Kent Maxxima into operation, and its functioning fine. However, I was disappointed that the unit does not come with any of the accessories such as a faucet adaptor, saddle valve, TDS meter etc. and these add to the total cost of the set-up.
Old 03/10/2002, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm still deciding on which one is right for me and have a couple of questions:

What is a TDS meter?

What is a flush kit?

TIA
Old 03/11/2002, 12:10 AM
AquariumPros.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by HydroPhile
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm still deciding on which one is right for me and have a couple of questions:

What is a TDS meter?

What is a flush kit?

TIA
In respect to the 'extras' mentioned above...call Dave @ ReefPure and I'm SURE that he'll help you out there! Also...he is already including a FREE TDS meter.

A TDS meter is a meter that reads amount of Total Disolved Solids. The reason we use RO or RO/DI is to remove numerous things from our water. The filter floss and carbon block will remove LARGE particles and chemicals from the water. The TFC membrane (usually a horizontally mounted white tube-like filter at the top of the filter) removes the smaller particles of metals and the like. One of the BIG things that we NEED to remove from our tanks is copper. Most houses are plumbed with copper for the hot and cold water taps. This copper can leach some into your water and cause probems in reef tanks. The meter can be used to test the plain Tap Water first to see how much 'unwanted solids' are present, and then you can test your processed water to see how much your filter removes. You can test on occasion to see when it's time to replace your filters. I test 180ppm in TDS @ the tap and 0 (zero)ppm TDS after the filter.

A membrane flush kit flushes the membrane of debris. If you picture the membrane as a strainer - any thing larger then the holes of the strainer will not pass through. They will accumulate at the outside of the membrane and can reduce its life. Some of the waste will get flushed out with the waste water...but by using the flush kit, the membrane will get a blast of water to remove any accumulated gunk. It is basically a by-pass tube that will divert the water away from the reducer (a piece of plastic that sits in the waste water tube that maintains the 1 to 4 ratio of water production) and allows the full pressure of the water to hit the membrane (normally around 65psi).

HTH...
Old 03/11/2002, 12:48 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

dave at reefpure gets my vote. i love my 100gpd 5stage ro/di!!! it rules!!

later
Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 03/11/2002, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

I vote for Dave too, a real class act. I got a great deal and, when I had a question a month later, he was prompt to reply and solve my problem.

Reefpure all the way!

One thing, though: does anyone have a picture of how a flush kit is connected? I am a little unsure of the placement.

Thank you!
Old 03/11/2002, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

AJ: Thanks for answering my questions.

I am leaning towards reef pure, but I don't need that much water. The smallest gpd for the 4 stager is 50. Hmm... more thinking...
Old 03/11/2002, 02:13 AM
AquariumPros.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by Headshow
I vote for Dave too, a real class act. I got a great deal and, when I had a question a month later, he was prompt to reply and solve my problem.

Reefpure all the way!

One thing, though: does anyone have a picture of how a flush kit is connected? I am a little unsure of the placement.

Thank you!
Just cut the exit hose an inch or so from where the waste line exits the RO membrane (the white horizontal filter @ the top), and connect it there...the rest of the waste tubing connects to the other side of the flush kit.
Old 03/11/2002, 02:20 AM
AquariumPros.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by HydroPhile
AJ: Thanks for answering my questions.

I am leaning towards reef pure, but I don't need that much water. The smallest gpd for the 4 stager is 50. Hmm... more thinking...
Honestly...I started with a 25GPD unit, and wished that I had picked up a higher unit. If it was ONLY for evaporation...then fine...but if you have to do an emergency water change, or NEED water fast...if you put tap water in...you have just negated the whole reason for buying the RO/DI unit to start with.

It only takes once to add metals and 'unwanted substances' back into the tank...and then if nothing else, you'll likely end up with an algae bloom (thinking of the nicest problem).

Think about it...but IMO, get at least double what you think your actual need will be (also...they are RATED for ???GPD...but they usually don't put out the rated GPD - normally a bit less).

Good luck (....and call Dave! - He'll explain everything in detail. Tell him AJ from AquariumPros.ca sent you - he'll treat you REALLY WELL!)
Old 03/11/2002, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

I guess I´m lucky with the water.
Neither RO or a Calcium reactor is needed.
A few billion tons of lava filters the tap water pure and clear.
I thought reefkeeping in Iceland was expensive untill I heard about electricity costs and crap tap water in the US.
Old 03/11/2002, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Once again, my vote is with Bryan at Aquatic Reef Systems. He has a two stage 50 gpd for 80.00. Sounds like about what you're looking for. Won't hurt to talk to him and ask a few questions.
fsa
Old 03/11/2002, 01:23 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

worried about too many GPD...i don't think there is such a worry. i have a 100gpd and guess what size tank i have??? a 10 gal NANO!! yeah 100gpd for a 10gal. makes my weekly needs (~3gal)in about 30-45min. i wouldn't go any lower GPD personally it rocks.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-