Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2005, 10:44 PM
Aptasia tastes spicey!

Can Scolymia survive in dim lighting temporarily?

I have a bleached out scolymia (he had been out in the MH at the top of the tank for several months and lost his deeper colours)

i REALLY want to nurse him back to health. I can't seem to feed him in my tank too well because his feeding response is much slower than a fully healthy scolymia. and the current will blow it away.

i was wondering if scolymia will survive in my refugium? for a little while. I want to feed it every day. Much slower current in there.
It is lit by two 23 watt Compact Fluoresecent bulbs. not too bright....

i thought i'd ask before throwing him down there in case you think it wont' survive in that kind of dim lighting
Old 10/28/2005, 10:55 AM
Parapterois heterura

they are naturally low light corals... and as a stressed coral, arguably need to be kept in low light for some months before acclimating to brighter places in the aquarium.

The key with saving any bleached coral is feeding. In this case, you are very lucky that the coral will eat organismally (particles versus absorption).

Put a bit of thawed juice from frozen food (even squeezing a food shrimp in the tank) some minutes (15+) before feeding will often elicit a feeding response. With starved corals, you may need to do this for a week or more (after the lights go out) to get the coral to put out its feeding tentacles.

After you see the feeding tentacles, you can feed very fine minced meats of marine origin. Nothing larger than 1/4" bits please. Mysids word very well... pacifica plankton too. Or simply mince fish meat, krill, etc.

if you do this faithfully... it can be an amazing recovery in as little as 3-4 months
Old 10/28/2005, 12:13 PM
Aptasia tastes spicey!

alrighty! thanks anthony
Old 10/28/2005, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

I did the same thing for a Trachyphillia (spelling?) that survived and grew like crazy afterwards. Just remember to keep feeding after it's healthy, as well!