Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2005, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

purple yuma question

i have 5 purple yumas and they have lost most of their color. they were under 130 watt power compacts. however i just moved them to my sps tank and are now under MH. my question is will they color back up and what do i need to do to help them out.
Old 10/03/2005, 03:47 PM
Moving Along

Its a lil challanging to say the least, without knowing what the water perameters they were coming from(to low in 1st tank?Too high nitrates?), but since your putting em in the SPS tank im assuming the current water conditions could only be better. Id definately put em on the bottom, maybe even partially shaded, while they acclimate to the light and current tank conditions to avoid further bleaching since it sounds like it lost alot of zooxanthella.

-Justin
Old 10/04/2005, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

So you moved a bleaching yuma to stronger lighting? Not a smart move. Yumas prefer lower lighting, especially purple and pink ones. They are also quite tolerable to high nutrient, nitrate conditions and requires a mature tank.

Knowing your parameters & husbandry will help.
Old 10/04/2005, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

yes they are in higer lighting, however they are in a shaded area. 10 gallon wc a week. nitrates 0, nitrites 0, amonia 0, po4 between 0 and .5, alk is at 11, and calcium is at 480. they are on the bottom of the tank and i have a red yuma above them in this tank with no color loss at all.
Old 10/05/2005, 10:28 AM
See if you can pingaso it

I had a purple that did the same thing. It was under 130 w of PC light and bleached after about 3 weeks of me getting it. Nothing i did saved it. How long have you had the colony for?
Old 10/05/2005, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

for a couple of months. they seem to be doing better. fully opened but time will tell with the color.