Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2005, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...56#post5702956
Old 09/13/2005, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

oh wow im sorry i didnt even think about the hurricane, and didnt bother to read 2 posts above me. im sorry man. i was in a hurry last night and didnt bother to even look up.

i hope everything is ok down there
Old 09/13/2005, 08:32 AM
get your reef on

wow your thread got split, this will be some kind of RC record.

Sorry about the 110, and your truck.

At least you have a job to go back to right away. (that's the bright side)

what the heck is a crack barrel ? and why do you want to shoot it?
take some pictures if you do
Old 09/15/2005, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

I got split with no water in the tank that started this thing.

Sorry no new pics of the mess yet...my access to the internet has been very spotty. Tomorrow I should finally get DSL hooked up in our makeshift office so maybe then I can upload the mess of pics.

I will be cleaning out the 110 this weekend Few questions...since my external pump was underwater along with my two E ballast...will they be ok? Like if the fire up is it safe after they got soaked? Also what about the once live rock...its been sitting in some god awful water for 3 weeks now....can it be bleached and used in another setup fresh or salt or should I chunk it?

As for my house I think we just got power yesterday...almost 3 weeks with out....man am I glad the 280 wasn't setup yet! I am going home for the weekend to do some work there as well but not staying. Work is in houma for now until the office building is fixed.

Crack barrel is a what I call a over and under shotgun....12 gauge and boy was it nice to shoot it along with the pistol!!! Ill take a pic of the paper target I used Yes only paper...we were at a shooting range and they don't allow fun targets....
Old 09/16/2005, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Since the floodwaters were brackish (from everything I've heard on the TV), the pump motor and the ballasts are most likely ruined. If you do decide to try and fire them up be careful that they don't decide to literally - fire up.

Reuse the rock - say it was one heck of a cycle...
Old 09/16/2005, 01:32 PM
Tiny Miracles.

I wouldnt chance re-using the pumps or ballast...you dont know what chemicals were in that water, and potentially have gotten into your ballast....just imagine if you had gasoline or oil seep into your pump motors, or ballast and when you go and plug it in, if it works, it will likely catch a fire, and then your home that stood the test of katrina was taken down by a fire that could have been avoided....chalk it up as a loss......

As far as the liverock, I would re-use it....I would do the rock cooking technique, and once thats over with, re use....that way you arent out all that rock...get a few pounds to re-seed, and your good to go...
Old 09/16/2005, 01:54 PM
In Too Deep

Did the rock sit in the actual flood water at all or was it just the same water that was in the tank? If that is the case, I think cooking it would be just fine. Seed it with some rock and some rubble/grunge from the bottom of your LFS rock tank and show tank, etc.

I would take the pump apart and look for rust on the motor and around the impeller and impeller casing. If there is none, dry it out really well, re-lube any shafts that may exist, and maybe try some kind of cleaner specifically made for electronics. As long as it is dry all the way through, and there is no rust creating a bridge between a positive and negative current, you should be fine to plug it in and try it.

The ballasts are probably shot. Open them up and you will see what I mean.

Good luck.
Old 09/17/2005, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

All of your electronics should be fine if you inspect and clean them .... ( trust me on that )

If your rock has been sitting in "that" water for a while, I'm not sure you can "cook out" all of the heavy metals and other polutants that have gotten into the pores of the rock ..Can you..???

Bob
Old 09/17/2005, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

I have not seen the tank for some time now but I am about to go check it out/ tear it down. The pump and ballast I am just going to write off as trash. I heard a story on the radio through all this about some 7 people in a house that made it through the storm and then ran a generator inside and died from carbon monoxide. So the fact that the stuff got wet I dont want to chance it...even though im sure it would be ok. As for the rock it has been sitting in the tank water not the floodwater BUT it has been sitting in stagnant water (still no power over there) that has been rotting for a month now with the dead corals and fish funking it up pretty bad. To add to this there is no real way I can cook the rock because I have no salt to make new water and all the lfs here are closed and im not sure if they are even around still since they were on the east bank (hard hit) and thats not even open to the public yet so I cant even go check. So it looks like I am not keeping the rock either. I might just bleach it and use it in a African tank one day....

What about the stand...I have not seen it lately but it did sit in floodwater for who knows how long. It is oak but will it do like some of the other wood I have seen...get wet...swell...and then crack up? Is it safe to hold up the tank? My plan was to sell the 110 once the 280 was up.

I am at my house for the weekend only to do some cleanup and my internet seems to be back up so tonight I will post a bunch of pics...show yall teh tank funk.

I cant even imagine how many tanks died in the city like mine.....
Old 09/17/2005, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

For some reason I am looking forward to the pictures... is something wrong with me? I wish you well in the cleanup and the slow process of rebuilding and getting everything back in order.
Old 09/17/2005, 01:12 PM
get your reef on

I can't imagine how bad that's going to be to take the stuff out of the 110.

I would get some serious rubber gloves, the long ones.

you can use the rock, just not for a while. take it out and hose it off, then put it out back somewhere you don't have to look at it or smell it. when your ready you can then place it back in salt water and cook all the crap out of it. then you'll have some base rock for yourself or someone to use.

I'm not sure about the stand. Oak is strong, but sitting in water that long could easily destroy the joints and finish. Most likely the stand is garbage.

JustOneMoreTank, I'm looking forward to the photos as well, not in a good way like I would have the tank being filled with coral. It's a normal curiosity, I think. Here's a deep thought when you do post the photos your thread will transcend a mere humorous biography of your tank and become part of American history .
Old 09/17/2005, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a total loss to me ... ( Too bad.. )

Bob
Old 09/17/2005, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

One word.....EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Now I have smelled some rank stuff in my life...but oh god the 110 was one fowl smelling heap! There was this thick white yellowish bubbly film on the top. A solid like film that didn't just brake up when it was moved...I took some pics and yall will be interested to see this. I mean it was gross! Ohhh and the smell....the awful smell....I cant even describe it! I absolutely did not save the rock...NO WAY! I drained all the water threw the rock in a 55 gal garbage can and put a lid on it. I did that in hopes the insurance Co will see/smell it was in fact once live and worth 5-6 bucks/lb and see if they cover it. The stand is molded and hinges are rusting so I fear it is not worth saving. I took some pics of the film on the water today and have a few others....I will post tonight. I have to go eat before curfew...the few places open close about 5 and I dont have much to eat at my house anymore.
Old 09/17/2005, 03:08 PM
get your reef on

oh the poor insurance agent that comes to check out your claim.
if any one pointed to a closed garbage can and said go ahead smell it,
I would just write you out a check right there. no more questions.

I hope none of that stench stuck to you
Old 09/17/2005, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Well here they are...this first batch is random storm pics of things I saw on the way to my house...

Last edited by NOLACLS; 09/17/2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09/17/2005, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Old 09/17/2005, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

This is the damage to my house...not bad considering what others got!

Notice the gutter or lack there of...

Something hit the dish...but I got it re aimed

Old 09/18/2005, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

These trees used to overhang the house by a lot and were so full of leaves you couldn't see through them...

Took almost all of the leaves of those...

Not above teh suuubs

This isnt a house pic but another random storm shot...notice the coat factory sign on shell and then look in the background to see where it came from

Old 09/18/2005, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Now on to teh office...

Dat is my truck under that door...

all 4 of my doors like this blew away....

That container used to be next to the building...

washed in with the 10" of water we got on the first floor...

Old 09/18/2005, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

and thats my roof...

I have more of inside the building but its what you would expect..lots of mess n mold
Old 09/18/2005, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Now on to my 110...pics dont do the smell justice....

Old 09/18/2005, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

Mmmmm mold

Old 09/18/2005, 12:33 AM
Premium Member

WOW, thanks for the photos. I have seen some peoples tanks here on RC that look like your 110g after 2 weeks without power. Good luck with the clean up and keep those beers flowing.
Old 09/18/2005, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

[edit
Old 09/18/2005, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

Also this is what I was talking about with the wifes car...happened when we were on our way out for the storm...

And this is at my parents house...that is something that was on the chimney and was impaled on the spikes....

Ok thats all for now...im going to bed

I fear I will have dreams of that darn tank smell....barf!