Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/24/2005, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

My 75g setup with pics

I started this tank 18 months ago and it still looks very boring. Please critique and suggest what i can do to make it better. I want to stick to FOWLR, but still am open to new ideas.

Yes my lighting setup is very crappy, looking for a canopy ASAP lol

Equipments:
3x1200 Maxi Jets
2x175w MH

Filtration:
Euro-Reef skimmer
~120# LR
75# LS

Livestock:
Blue tang
Cleaner shrimp
2 Mexican snails
5 Hermits
Old 08/24/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

maybe get some more live rock and fish
Old 08/24/2005, 04:45 PM
Martin's Aquarium '86-'91

More live rock may do the trick.

BUT....

Since it is a FOWLR, What I would do is split the live rock into the corners and make two "mini" reef-like areas with minimal rock in the middle. This will create more swimmable space and more defined areas to observe.
Old 08/24/2005, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Consider putting Hydor deflectors on all of those MaxiJets. It will make a big difference in the quality of the waterflow. And, it isn't expensive. One of the few real bargains in reef-keeping.
Old 08/24/2005, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

More LR??? i was thinking of getting rid of some to gain more swimming space. keep the comments and suggestions coming guys.
Old 08/24/2005, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Why not have a background? Black or Blue. Makes it easier to see the things in the tank.

Why do you have MH Lighting but no corals? I assume it is MH from the setup.

Why not do something more with Aquascaping or get varying types of rock in there? Tonga branch would look nice.
Old 08/24/2005, 05:07 PM
Corgilover

Switch out some rocks and reaquascape like the post above. Get more fish. I think your tank looks nice.
Old 08/24/2005, 05:14 PM
Martin's Aquarium '86-'91

Yeah, more live rock is out... scratch that from my original suggestion (assuming you want to keep the tank FOWLR).

But a background is a good idea, like jthornley mentioned. I always go black because it does not draw the eye like blue does.

PS- I still like the mini-corner reef suggestion though!

Post more pics as you go!
Old 08/24/2005, 07:19 PM
King of the Apes

you have a FOWLR yet have MH lights? wow.

honestly, corals is what would make your tank more exciting. I'd also try to consolidate some of the things sitting in your tank such as power heads, inlets, outlets, etc. Find a way of maximizing flow, by minimizing the amount of equipment displayed.

as was already said, a background (black is my favorite) will go a long, long way.
Old 08/24/2005, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

a few mushrooms mabe a LTA
Old 08/24/2005, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

To save many from buying more rocks you can instead rearrange your rocks to create caves. These caves will also be good hiding places for your fishes.
Old 08/24/2005, 07:39 PM
Moved On

Seems like an awful waste to have MH lighting without corals

You sure you don't want to make the jump?

D.
Old 08/24/2005, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

hehe, thanks guys for the comments. The reason i got MH is because i love the intensity and the shimmering effects they give offf. I'm scared to make that big leap to reefing. I suppose i can go to local reef club meetings and hack a frag or two and start from there. However, my main focus RIGHT NOW is to establish a stable FOWLR system before going any further. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 08/24/2005, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

I would move the rock around instead of having a big pile, the more surface area on the live rock the more it will help the tank, just keep good flow over the rock and make sure there are no dead spots in the corners
Old 08/24/2005, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

your water quality looks great from your pic, you should go with some "aguascaping" and add some more fish. Have you though of an agressive tank? Maybe a Huma trigger? I had one & he was beautiful but he beat the sh*t out of all my other fish. I had to get rid of him.....
nice tank though
Old 08/24/2005, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

First things first....

Get the ballast and capacitors off of the light boxes!!! Looks like a death trap. Try remote wiring the lights and get those guys away from the surface of the water!

In those boxes are you creating some heat? You might think of a DIY canopy that expands the tank! Disapate some of that heat w/ vents and fans (if it's a issue)

tank looks good!!!

not one for PH might want to consider closed loop (IMO)
Old 08/24/2005, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

more fish, back ground, change the rock setup.
Old 08/24/2005, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Why no corals? You've got good circulation, good skimmer, good lights...why not just softies? Not as demanding as SPS or LPS...they'd make your tank great!

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 08/24/2005, 10:48 PM
Reef Mania

If the tank has been running for 18 months and your water quality is good, then your stable enough to keep what ever corals you want. Just make sure you add them slowly, because then you will have to really start worrying about PH and Salinity swings, as well as calcium and iodine and such. A lot of corals are more sensative to this stuff where most fish will handle them without much of an issue if there small swings.

You can look at my website, my tank is almost 18 months old.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 08/24/2005, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

i think if you brought out the live rock and made a huge arch with cave it would look better than the central lump. also add a black background it'll help the coloration of your fish. try a few corals, like mushrooms, or some soos. not only will they add movement, but a little color and contrast. also, add some really cool, colorful fish. with a tank that size and stable, maybe a tang, or an aggresive fish like the afforementioned trigger (if that, scratch corals) and you should have enough copepods for a mandarin, those are sweet!! just a few corals, fish, a background, and maybe redo you rock and you have an awesome tank to be proud of.
Old 08/25/2005, 07:00 AM
Born Again Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by hxn
I'm scared to make that big leap to reefing. I suppose i can go to local reef club meetings and hack a frag or two and start from there. However, my main focus RIGHT NOW is to establish a stable FOWLR system before going any further.
Judging from your photos and setup description, that will be an awesome reef tank. You have set your tank up very well IMO, I think you will have no problem keeping corals. Maybe open up the aquascaping, I'm not a fan of the "rock pile" look, but that's just me.

Honestly though, that tank looks better than mine ever did...I can only imagine what it would look like as a full-blown reef
Old 08/30/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

thank you for compliments and comments. I think some of you are right about re-scaping my rocks. I will put them in corners and open open up the middle for more swimming space. I also plan on putting two 1200 MJ behind (underneath) the rocks and make two closed loop system merging into one return line. What do you guys think??? Opening up the middle will definitely increase flow quality and minimize dead spots.
Old 11/20/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

which fish do you think i can add with this set up??? i want something big enough to stand its grounds with the blue tang.
Old 11/20/2005, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Hey hxn...i noticed you have a sump without holes in your tank. I have a 90 gal with no sump but would like to add one. So I guess it is possible to add one....right?
Old 11/20/2005, 01:33 PM
Nothing original for now

Looks good but as mentioned, background and resatcking the rock to make more openings. Personally in the sump I would try to find some way to keep your drain line from splashing, that would cut down on noise and salt creep. I would also suggest small holes in your return lines near the waters surface if you don't have those already. If the power goes out and those guys back siphon it could be a problem
And for garyw68, yeah, he has an overflo box that returns tank water to the sump.