Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2005, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Disappearing Livestock

I started my reef setup in a Trigon 190 on 21st June. The tank was matured by 'seeding' filter media from the lfs. All was going fine with 6 corals, 1 each of yellow tailed damsel, royal gramma, fire shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp. Approximately 4 weeks ago I added a lemon peel angel. Three days after I added this fish there was no sign of the fireshrimp or one of the cleaner shrimp. The only one seen so far is 'Harold' the cleaner shrimp who has survived. All the parameters have been good except the nitrate which has been 25mg consistently. Last week the gramma showed signs of distress so the lfs advised 'oodinex' treatment. But since 17th Aug the gramma has also disappeared!!. I have looked hard in the tank but no sign of the gramma. I have completed the oodinex treatment on 21st Aug. All the water parameters have been fine so far(Tetra Test kits). I am contemplating removing the rocks to see what is going on but am too reluctant that it will stress the other fish. My wife and I have named our tank 'Bermuda Trigon 190'. There is no evidence of any dead fish. Please could anyone explain this mysterious happening in our tank?

Last edited by Reefsurgeon; 08/22/2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08/22/2005, 03:32 PM
Team RC Member

My guess is your shrimp were food or you'r other fish or got sucked up in a filter or overflow. They may just be hiding in the rock.
Old 08/22/2005, 05:43 PM
Who's your Daddy

possible carpet surfing? does the tank have a cover? you should check your water chemistry, cause if the livestock are dying in the tank, this will definitely negative impact on your tank.
Old 08/22/2005, 06:53 PM
RC Mod

[welcome]

Disappearances do tend to be hard to diagnose. If you could post all your water parameters, that might give us a pointer.

Are any of the corals showing signs of a problem?
Old 08/22/2005, 07:01 PM
Moved On

Have you noticed any clicking sounds coming from the tank? Could be a mantis shrimp?

D.
Old 08/23/2005, 12:39 AM
Who's your Daddy

does the mantis shrimp make clicking sounds? Only reason I ask, is that I have pistol shrimps that make clicking sounds... could that be what you are referring to
Old 08/23/2005, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

both do... but they are different... I believe the pistol shrimp is higher pitched and several in a row, while the mantis is once and lower pitched.
Old 08/23/2005, 01:22 AM
Who's your Daddy

thanks for clearing me up on that... I'm going to take a closer look at whats making those clicking sounds in my fuge
Old 08/24/2005, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Last night I moved all the rocks and had a good look and no sign of the royal gramma, the cleaner shrimp or the fire shrimp. There is no evidence of it on the carpet. Meanwhile the other livestock (fishes- yellow tailed blue damsel, lemon peel, two clowns & green chromis and 7 corals are all doing well. All water parameters are fine (Ammonia - 0, Nitrite-<0.3, Nitrate-25mg,Phosphate- 0.25 Salinity 32ppt 1.023sg. I can only come to one conclusion that it has been biodegraded or eaten by one of the fishes. Any comments on this occurence much appreciated.
Old 08/24/2005, 04:57 PM
RC Mod

Your cleanup crew might have eaten the remains in short order. Not that uncommon.

I think the SG is rather low. I target 1.026. These article might be interesting:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php
Old 08/24/2005, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info and links Bertoni
Old 08/27/2005, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Today I had another casualty. The green chromis died. I have changed the water 25% change. I have managed to adjust the salinity to 1.025. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - <0.3, pH - 8.0-8.1, Nitrate -12.5mg and Phosphate 0.25. I just can't figure out why the Green chromis died. I have also cleaned half the filters.
Old 08/27/2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Do you have a protein skimmer?
Old 08/28/2005, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

On the clicking of the mantis vs. the pistol. I heard it was the opposite? The pistol does the single clicks, and the mantis does the multiple ones?

Robin

I have an unknown shrimp in my tank....he doesn't come out far enough to ID him, so on another thread I was told the above info.
Am a bit confoozled now
Old 08/28/2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member.

well i really hope it aint a mantis shrimp, those darn buggers!!
Old 08/29/2005, 11:04 PM
RC Mod

So did you find a body for the Chromis?

I would suggest that you start trying to trap the unknown shrimp, etc, with a mantis trap. Also, the tank is very new to have so many animals, IMO. I would not add anything for a few weeks, at least, and see what the nitrite level did.

I'm not sure that listening is a good way to identify the various animals in our tanks. I have a mantis shrimp in one tank that never makes a sound, for that matter.