Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/19/2005, 02:47 PM
Explorer

guys why Acanthastrea are expensive?

Hi,

just wondering my Acanthastrea are expensive, compare to other corals, seem small frags over 100 and beyond, thx

sam
Old 08/19/2005, 02:51 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Check out this thread, Sam. It's long, but you'll find some answers ( and even more questions )

Tony

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=643877
Old 08/19/2005, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

because if you want something bad enough you'll pay for it
Old 08/19/2005, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

because they are rare in the ocean and even rarer in the trade *awaits ensuing drama*
Old 08/19/2005, 03:38 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by john76
because they are rare in the ocean and even rarer in the trade *awaits ensuing drama*
ROFLMAO!!!
Old 08/19/2005, 03:41 PM
Crazy Aquarist

Because people are crazy and want to pay an arm and a leg for stuff for the "in" coral. Look at blue zoo. I haven't see that many "wtb blue zoo" 1 or 2 year ago that was the "in" coral. Now you can find them not too much more then the other corals.

Believe in what you know and stand by it.
Old 08/19/2005, 03:44 PM
Crazy Aquarist

A sucker is born every minute. Why not make money off them. *rolling eyes* that others will all thing look at new video game system, elmo, etc.

Old 08/19/2005, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john76

Brilliant!!
Old 08/19/2005, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d34532
A sucker is born every minute. Why not make money off them. *rolling eyes* that others will all thing look at new video game system, elmo, etc.

i like this coral a lot. and i want the corals i want in my tank.
are you a sucker if you buy a sports car? if that were true every one would have a mine van!
Old 08/19/2005, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

1. They are attractive (They resemble blastos but nicer in some respects)
2. Very hardy
3. Easy to frag and share
4. Great color morphs
5. No associated coral pests like Red Bugs
6. Unlike acros, small colonies look as nice as large ones
7. Fast growers
8. Not as likely to sting other corals.
9. It won't eat your fish.
10. It won't gorw and infest like some softies.
11. Skeletal structure leaves plenty of open spaces for swimming fish
12. Won't crash like xenia
13. East to ship
14. Not demanding for light and flow
15. Some specimens provide current induced movement
Old 08/19/2005, 06:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Because people are crazy and want to pay an arm and a leg for stuff for the "in" coral. Look at blue zoo. I haven't see that many "wtb blue zoo" 1 or 2 year ago that was the "in" coral. Now you can find them not too much more then the other corals.
I'm disagreed with your point...depend on people what they like. If they like doesn't matter how much they still try to get it... I like to drive BMW but you're not. You should not say people crazy...I didn't like those corals that you bought, but you like them...what should I say? Should I say that you are crazy to buy the cheap stuff for wasting your time and money on the water change...Nope, I won't say that....you need to respect to the people because their choice their money unless you paid for them, then you can say that.

Tony
Old 08/19/2005, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlanticReef
I'm disagreed with your point...depend on people what they like. If they like doesn't matter how much they still try to get it... I like to drive BMW but you're not. You should not say people crazy...I didn't like those corals that you bought, but you like them...what should I say? Should I say that you are crazy to buy the cheap stuff for wasting your time and money on the water change...Nope, I won't say that....you need to respect to the people because their choice their money unless you paid for them, then you can say that.

Tony
toney are you rich? can get a frag of your BMW. so i can grow my own.
Old 08/19/2005, 06:57 PM
Crazy Aquarist

ok people miss understand my point and im sorry about that. If you like it buy it but don't get mad if the price drop. What I meant with the elmo and game system when the retail price is $30 and people pay $300 or like the ps2 a few year back where retail was $300 and people was will to pay $1000 for it? I have a ps2 new that I got for $150. Wasn't it said they are super rare? I like them but not at the current price will I buy them later probably. When I like it for that price. I will not pay for fake price or greed price.

Old 08/19/2005, 07:01 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Remember beanie babies?

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 08/19/2005, 07:06 PM
Crazy Aquarist

beerguy,

Very true very true.

Old 08/19/2005, 10:29 PM
Moved On

Beerguy.

I like the Honda in your avatar....is it exspensive car? You know what I mean...your choice I do not want to say anything

Tony
Old 08/19/2005, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Price shall be set at what the market will bear. No less, no more.
Old 08/19/2005, 11:31 PM
Explorer

lol, didn't want to start a debate or anything,

was just curious because saw some sites selling small pieces for 300+, I have never seem them in person, so wanted to get an idea like if the colors in person are out of this world or something of this nature,

SPStoner, thx for the link, got to read that article

by the way thx for the responces, everyone,

sam
Old 08/19/2005, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Unbelievable. That's all I can say. Enough with the acan pricing business. How about some acan for the have not.

Old 08/20/2005, 12:07 AM
Explorer

vpham24,

nice pic, I bet the pic doesn't do it justice in comparison as seem them in person,

sam
Old 08/20/2005, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

no, it doesn't bro. But it shows that you can get them. It's not as expensive as everyone says. You just have to know the right people.

I hear too much about pricing, and too many of the acan lover fight so hard to defend what they love, who cares what other thinks.

Rob (Jus Reefin), you sound like a level headed guy, don't let the small stuff bothers you. It doesn't bother me.

SPStoner, if you were aroud here, like Tony (AtlanticReef), I'm coming over with this.

Old 08/20/2005, 11:36 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlanticReef
Beerguy.

I like the Honda in your avatar....is it exspensive car? You know what I mean...your choice I do not want to say anything

Tony

No problem Tony, but probably a poor comparison on your part. 1 year from now, my car will still be worth 90% of what I paid for it.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 08/20/2005, 12:42 PM
Moved On

This a also a exspensive hobby...I was interested in car before but I keep losing the money when I get a new car....I used to have BMW, Mercedes...now I drive Toyota Squoia, but plan to change to different car since it spends a lot of gas.

Tony
Old 08/20/2005, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
No problem Tony, but probably a poor comparison on your part. 1 year from now, my car will still be worth 90% of what I paid for it.

WOW

maybe I shouldn't have bought that stupid Navigator last year, even used I took a big hit on it when reselling
Old 08/20/2005, 03:17 PM
Psuedo Member

It’s the simplest economics rule - supply and demand. A short in supply accompanied by a false justification (i.e. rare coral) and you have a huge demand. Distributors know their target market and realize that many of us reefers are affluent buyers that will pay the increased prices. I personally don’t have a problem with someone paying 1000$ for an acan colony but that’s me. Its personal preference-people buy what they like and are willing to pay for it. I do think it’s poetic that prices have plummeted but if you liked the coral at 1000 u should have no regrets now if you truly loved the coral and weren’t just fueling a fad. I think that acans are very nice and some of the coral morphs are astounding but I’m not willing to pay that 1000$. I’m going to wait until it comes down. I just can’t see spending that extra money when eventually the market will correct it’s self and prices won’t be sky high. It’s already started to happen. But then again, I like Lexus and Acuras but can see spending the increased price when I know that a Toyota and Honda is the exact same vehicle for 10000$ less. Ill stick with my accord tell those pretentious stuff shirts to shove their status symbol where the sun doesn’t shine --but then again that’s my opinion.