Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2005, 01:25 PM
I bite!

Question Lighting for Reef 92 Gallon Corner Tank

I'm so confused. Help!

I'm putting together a brand new reef tank. I purchased an All-Glass 92 gallon reef-ready corner tank. I built the stand. I've got a sump, refugium, and skimmer on the way. Now for the lighting...

Have I said I'm confused. T5, HO, VHO, PC, and MH. Ugh!

First, I'm very concerned about heat. I think that rules out Metal Halide (or ALL MH). But I do want 3 - 4 watts per gallon (<= ~400W). The tank is about 24 inches deep. I want to keep a few docile fish and some soft coral and other inverts (and maybe someday seahorse).

One issue with the lighting is that the tank only has a 36" wide x 9" deep area for a hood. I could place another, narrower, light behind that.

- Is HO dead?

- What are the pros and cons of VHO vs. Power Compact?

- Where does T5 fit into this?

- Does anyone have experience with a 92 gallon corner? What do you use for lighting?

- Can you recommend a manufacturer?

In feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Chris
Old 08/16/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I had a similar situation butt my isn't a corner tank. My hood is only 8" deep. So I reinforced it with wood. then turned it into a pendent. This is really good cuz you can get good air flow so you don't have to worry about over heating. I would put one 400 watt metal halided in the midle with pc suplement. you coud prob. do a retro for around 200. just screw it into the hood and hang it from the ceiling. it looks cool with the water showing at the top.
Old 08/16/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Are you wanting a fixture or are you willing to build a canopy. IF you build there are a number of options but I would not reccomend PC due to heat and lamp replacement cost but they are an option if you like them. There are several good looking systems with PC. I would look at T5HO at reefgeek.com for retros and fixtures. You could do a couple 36" retros and a couple 24" to cover the tank. HTH

Visit MAAST.org just click the "Red House"
Old 08/16/2005, 01:48 PM
Political Inactivist

apologies for the terrible diagram, but given what you want to keep, T5 HOs would make a great choice, imo... a retrofit kit w/ each bulb having its own reflector could probably fit as i have the lines in the diagram... hope that helps!

T5s last a long time too... :-)
Old 08/17/2005, 07:25 AM
I bite!

Thank you for the great feedback.

I think I've decided on a 36" Current USA Nova T5 Extreme Hood (4x39W) and another 24" (4x24W) (with the 36" hanging from the ceiling in front and the 24" behind that).

I like the idea of a custom hood with retros in a flare pattern, but it took me over a year to build the stand and I don't want this to drag on any longer than it has to.

Any feedback on the Nova's?

What bulbs should I get?

How does the wattage rating stack up against Metal Halides, VHO, etc.? Based on my plans, I'd be using ~250 watts (less than the 400W I was aiming for. But I can't imagine using any more light.
Old 08/17/2005, 08:26 AM
Political Inactivist

I'm not completely familiar w/ the C. USA's T5 products, but if it's anything like their other products, you are in good hands, imo.

One thing to make sure of is that on both units, each T5 bulb has its own reflector. One of the main advantages of the T5 bulb (besides long, long life 12-14+ months) is that it's small size and individual reflector is much more efficient than the PC counterparts (think of T5s as half a PC bulb), there is much less restrike on the T5, so more light ends up in the tank.

hope that helps!

btw, post some pics when you get it running!
Old 08/18/2005, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

I have a 100g corner with 4 x 55w retro power compacts, a 96w retro and 400w d.e. halide. All I use are 2 80mm computer fans for cooling. P.M. if you want to see pics.
Old 08/18/2005, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Hard to say much if your average temp. is not shown. Maybe looking in to chillers might be the thing to look into. In my 120 I got MH and VHO combined
Old 08/18/2005, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

Chris,

I have a 92 gal corner with 4-65Watt 50/50's and a 250 MH. I have the plywood reinforcement and the lights run directly across the tank rather than the design you chose. I have to keep the cover off of the tank due to the extreme heat build-up from the lights. If you are looking for convenience, I would hang the lights from the ceiling over the tank. With the lights in the hood it is too hard to do any maintenance and it is a pain to get the canopy off ... I have to have my husband help with the lifting. I have only had the tank for about 4 months and I am ready to pitch the lights in the canopy and go from the ceiling. Just my .02 cents.

Sara

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 08/19/2005, 02:19 PM
I bite!

Thanks Sara!

What are you using for a sump? How big is your cabinet?

What problems have you had with the setup?

TIA,
Chris
Old 08/20/2005, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Chris,

I am really having some issues with the space under the stand. I purchased the Oceanic stand for this set-up and with the sump, 3 light ballasts and 2 power strips in there , I am out of room. I am afraid to do any maintenance in there in fear of getting shocked! It is also very dark (black stand) in there and is hard to see without using a flashlight. In a couple of weeks I am cutting through the stand and going to the basement. I am adding a refugium and also hope to gain some cooling effect from the basement as well. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the tank and they way it looks, but what the LFS set-up is really hard for me to work with. Let me know if there is anything you want to see pic's of and I will post them later. If you want pic's of the canopy and lights, that will be tomorrow since that is water change day and I get my husband to help with the cover removal!

Sara

Old 08/20/2005, 05:21 PM
I bite!

Sara,

Here's my stand. After a year or two of fits and starts, I finally got it finished.

I'm also having space problems. For starters, I should have used 2x4s instead of 4x4s. But that aside, it's just too darned cramped in there. I've taken to using the extra height I built into the stand for electrical, monitors, a shelf, etc.

I also have the basement option, but I'm trying to resist drilling big holes into the floor. My wife isn't crazy about the idea either.

I'm also worried about heat. I've got a LifeReef CLF1 sump on its way (with a LifeReef skimmer and ~15 gallon refugium). The C stands for 'compact', which means both the skimmer pump and return pump are in the sump (more heat).

That's why I went with the HO 36" Current USA Nova T5 Extreme Hood (4x39W) and another 24" (4x24W) (with the 36" hanging from the ceiling in front and the 24" behind that). It's just going to have to be enough light for now. Nothing else would fit up there. Plus, I have a feeling power compacts or MH would have generated just too much heat. I did order the GripLock suspension cables from ReefGeek. I think that will make getting into the main tank much easier (I won't have a hood, just some wooden trim to match the stand).

I've got about $1,500 worth of equipment on it way (sump, skimmer, refugium, lighting, etc.). Ugh! I'm out of money.

As I progress, I'll post more pictures.

Please post lots pictures of your setup. I need as much help as I can get.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08/21/2005, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Here are some photo's of my tank. The first one was taken last month before a changed the layout of the rock.

Old 08/22/2005, 12:05 PM
I bite!

Yikes! That cabinet is jam-packed.

The reef is beautiful. How old is it in those pictures?

How many powerheads do you use? What kind?
Old 08/22/2005, 12:57 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

92 gal corner here..Went with the AquaMedic Ocean Light Combo
36" long 2x250w DE MH, 2x39w T5...

All my equipment is outside since the stands are so compact...
Old 08/22/2005, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Chris,

I added the live rock on 4/20/05. I know, that cabinet is an accident waiting to happen! I took a photo of the canopy last night ... I will try to post later or tomorrow (husband has to help!). For the powerheads I was running power sweeps until last weekend and I changed them out for the Seio 820's. They are giving some nice flow in the tank and are real easy to ajust the heads to direct the flow where you want it to go. I had to mess with them a bit to stop the sand from moving.

Also, just some advice when ordering LR, careful of how much you order. I was following the 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per gallon and ended up with too much. That formula may be fine for a flat tank, not a corner tank. I had to sell 30 lbs and currently have about 125-130 lbs in the tank.

Scotty - Nice set-up. Do your lights illuminate the room a lot? I am worried about that part of it if I move to hanging lights.

Old 08/23/2005, 06:06 AM
I bite!

Sara,

Thanks for the LR advice. I would have done the same thing.

How many powerheads do you use?

Scotty,

That's thinking outside the box (pun intended). Great setup. And Beautiful Reef!

Do your lights typically sit that high off the tank?

Why a chiller? Do the lights generate a lot of heat or just southern temps (or something else)?

What troubles did you run into that might be helpful for me to know about during the setup phase of my project?

Thanks!
Old 08/23/2005, 07:32 AM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Chris,
Yes my I have kept my lights that high off the tank. #1 due to heat issues at the beginning. #2 due to everything in the tank came from a 125 with 6-96w pc's and I did not want to fry anything. Overtime I have moved them back up to about this position. I moved them down for awhile but it was alot of light in the tank and alot more heat. The 2-250w DE bulbs are pretty intense.
I run the chiller due to heat, "Thinking outside the box" brought on alot of heat issues here in FLorida. With 95-100 degree days it became an issue. Plus the lights did add alot of heat and I was only running them 4 hours aday to begin with. My temps would climb 4-6 degrees at the end of the Halide period. Added chiller and it helped except the chiller put out alot of heat in the box. My final solution was a attic vent fan (see pic below). This and really took care of all my heat issues. It is on a thermostat so it only runs when needed.
The only thing I wish I would have done different at the time of setup was to pu a larger hole thru the block wall. I only cut one opening of the block out. I nthe future when upgrades or things need replaced/reworked I will cut another hole thru wall..
All my inhabitants came from a 7 year established tank, I went with starboard bottom on this setup and love it so far.
This has been up now for about 6 months or so.
24" attic vent fan..
Old 08/23/2005, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Chris,

I use 2 powerheads in the tank.

Sara

Old 08/23/2005, 09:49 AM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Sara, yes the lights light up the room alot...But I love the open top tank and not having a hood. Right now everything is finally running great. For flow I run a Little Giant MDQ4 (1200 gph) on my return, which I had to open the overflow slots up abit but it handled it fine after that. I also run a Little Giant MDQ4 (1200 gph) on a closed loop with the return flowing thru the chiller then thru a SQWD so I probally see about 800 gph entering the tank thru either nozzle off the SQWD...
Check out my Gallery for some other photos of the tank during setup...
Old 08/24/2005, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Chris,

I finally have pic's of the retro'd canopy.

Sara

Old 08/26/2005, 11:51 AM
I bite!

Thanks Sara. I sometime think I should have opted for a retro'd canopy, but I'll see how my setup works out first.
Old 08/26/2005, 12:25 PM
I bite!

Cool The Evolution of My Reef Tank (So Far)

The Plan...

In Process...

One Door...

Both Doors...

From the Inside...

Lighting Plans (Geez, What's Gonna Fit?)

Waiting to Be Hung...

And Finally, The Stand is Done...

Lastly, The Sump

More to Come...
Old 08/26/2005, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Chris,

That is a beautiful stand you built and I love to color of the wood. I had the choice of Black or .... Black, so I chose the Black one. Adding the shelf in your stand was a great idea, hopefully it will keep your work area looking better than mine! It also appears that you built your stand a bit taller, so don't forget to put the permanent ladder next to your tank. I actually purchased a wood step stool and I am in the process of painting it the same color as my wall paint color so that blend in better. A ladder has become a permanent fixture next to my tank!

Sara

Old 08/31/2005, 10:22 AM
I bite!

Smile More Pictures

Thanks Sara. A step stool; that's a good idea. A laddle won't fit with our decor. :~)

Here are some more pictures of my progress.

If you see any mistakes-in-progress, please point them out.

Here's the wire suspension kit for my light hoods...

And here are the hoods...

My Refugium...

Skimmer and Sump...

And, the sump with the inside shelf in place...

My wife says it's packed in there; In say it's very well planned.

Thanks to Jeff at LifeReef for reviewing my inside stand plans and making me exactly what I needed.

Chris