Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2005, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

turbo flotor T1.000 (sump model)

I would like some honest opinions on this model of a protein skimmer. My tank is 155 gallon with 40 gal sump.
Old 08/07/2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

I use this model on my 90 gallon, and I think it does well. With the Ocean Runner 2700 upgrade (and a valve on the air line), it can be adjust however you want.

HOWEVER, IMO the T1000 is too small for a 155. I wouldn't use it for anything more than a 125 unless you plan on having a very small fish loading.
Old 08/07/2005, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

BLockamon
Do you have it gravity fed from an overflow?
Old 08/07/2005, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

mr. maroon clown
FWIW, I'm putting this skimmer in my 175 bowfront. I will run both of the 3/4" return penetrations to supply the skimmer. I'll use the 1" drains to supply the sump/fuge.
Judging by what Calfo has written, I think having the skimmer gravity fed directly from the overflow greatly improves the effectiveness of a skimmer. I guess time will tell.
Old 08/07/2005, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Gone feral what size sump do you have on the 175?
Old 08/08/2005, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

One sequence barracuda that will supply a 1-1/2 to 3/4" ring around the top of the tank with probably 6 or 8 loc-line nozzles. I will also T it off at the pump to run ~1000gph thru a chiller/chem filter loop. This loop will empty back into the pump suction area of the sump to help keep sump water level more even.
I'll install a couple pressure gauges in the pump discharge line so as to be able to get a good idea of the actual flow thru each loop (based on the Sequence performance graph for the barracuda) and help keep tabs on how the flow is being split.
Old 08/08/2005, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Here's a simple plan for the plumbing (if I did this upload thing right)
Attached Files
File Type: doc plumb1.doc (46.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 08/08/2005, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

oops

Sorry Mr maroon clown, I misread the original question, thought you asked about the Pump - not Sump. The sump is around 36g usable volume which leaves about 18 spare for power outage draining. see attched dwgs
chris
Attached Files
File Type: htm sump1.htm (4.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 08/08/2005, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

sorry to muck up your thread trying to understand how to upload a couple files....hope this works
Attached Files
File Type: htm sump1.htm (4.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 08/08/2005, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

not so easy trying to convert from acad
Attached Files
File Type: doc sump1.doc (37.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 08/08/2005, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

top view
Attached Files
File Type: doc sump2.doc (31.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 08/08/2005, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

To answer the earlier question:

No, I do not run my T1000 directly from the overflow. I use a Maxijet 900 to supply water. I expect direct from the overflow would be a little better, since the Maxijet may miss some of the organics that film the top of the water in the sump.
Old 08/08/2005, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

PS, if anyone has evidence that direct from the overlfow is significantly better, please let me know.

I can always change
Old 08/08/2005, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

gone feral thank you for all of the posts that was very helpful.
Old 08/08/2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

blockamon i have read that the skimmer works alot better with the water supplied from the overflow.
Old 08/09/2005, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

mr. maroon clown
I'll be getting back from overseas this week and starting to build the sump, tank stand/canopy and various equiment so I'll try to post yet another build-a-tank thread. Might be useful for us to exchange ideas since our new tanks will differ only in hieght.
It will likely be Nov/Dec before I get the tank setup and ready for LR.

I have gotten a load of good info from this thread on skimmers though not specifically the TF1000.

[url=http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554786]
Old 08/09/2005, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

BLockamon
Could you please post a photo or two of your skimmer setup? how much of a job is it to keep it clean?

I dunno how to post a link to the skimmer thread I read but here is the path

Reef Central Online Community > Expert forums > All Things Salty with Anthony Calfo > Protein Skimmer Production/Improvements
Old 08/11/2005, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

in hand

I now have the skimmer in my hands, and it seems to be of good construction. It's a sump model so water-tightness is not a real issue but overall it looks like a well engineered bit of gear.
The main disappointment is the poxy 1/2" intake for the new-water supply to the oceanrunner 2700. This pump acts as supply AND recirc which is IMO a great advantage in efficiency but the new-water pipe ID is woefully small at 1/2". That said, it is on the suction line, so I hope to be surprised how much water is actually drawn thru this tube.
On a brighter note, the output circuit seems like a well thought-out yet simple addition. It consists of a dual outflow of 5/8 or 3/4 pipe into a baffle box filled with bioballs meant to break out air bubbles from the skimmer - good idea. It also includes 2 downflow pipes to direct the skimmer exhaust low into the sump section which houses this skimmer, again adding to its ability to get rid of entrained air.
Overall dims are 7" for the base of the reaction tube though the tube is only about 4.5" OD, by 16 long when you add the OR pump, outflowbox w/ downtubes and elec cord for the pump. The 22" height is about right and includes the minimal height req'd to remove the skimmer cup....only about 1/2"
The recommended thru-put of this skimmer maxxes out at 250 gph. I will likely double this having 2x3/4" drains supplying it....I think.....Any empirical feedback on the actual GPH of 3/4" lines in this configuration would be greatly appreciated.
Either way, I will supply much moer I think, having 2x 3/4" lines with 5' of head comgin in. Of course I will be able to throttle it as needed with the built in output valves on the skimmer - another clever incorporation.
The collection cup of the skimmer is artful, if not effective. I think it will be dead easy to clean. AM recommend weekly cleaning of the cup and monthly cleaning of the unit. It's very self contained so I do not see this as being a huge chore - TF.
Overall, I am happy with the design and quality of the skimmer. Now just to see how it works.

Mr maroon clown
With the 1/2" input to the skimmer, I will just run 3/4 pipe all the way to the skimmer, not the 1" I had mentioned.
Old 08/14/2005, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Aqua Medic recommends about 250 gph water input to the skimmer. Some people will run less, depending on the size of the tank.

Running less water will lower the level in the skimmer, allowing you to open up the air valve more. The skimmer takes a little bit of playing around with to really get the feel of it. However, as a starting point, adjust the throttling caps to allow as much water out as possible. Open up the air valve (self-supplied, but needed w/ the OR2700) to set the foam height ~1/4 way up the collection cone. If the bubble are too big for you taste, you can always close down the air valve a little and use the throttling caps to raise the level back up.
Old 08/15/2005, 01:37 AM
Just some guy, You know?

The extra line is not a suction line!! You will need to feed water directally from your over flow to get any water through this skimmer. Some power them with a Maxi-jet 900 however it is better to use gravity for power reasons (and skimmer performance).

The OR2700 is only for recerc and air bubbles.

FWIW I just bought one of these used and put it on my 50 gallon, so far I am very impressed. I only run 150 GPH through mine though (that is the speed of my overflow to the fuge)

Now the water runs out the overflow, into the skimmer out of the skimmer into the 10 gallon "skimmer sump" out of the "skimmer sump" and through the 20 gallon fuge into the "main sump" then back up to the tank.

Whiskey
Old 08/15/2005, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The extra line is not a suction line!!
According to the instruction sheet that came with the skimmer, there is a 6" x 1/2" PVC tube T'ed into the line between the skimmer and pump intake. There is also a photo showing the setup. So even with the OR pump, it is being supplied from the skimmer as recirc and also with new water from the overflow via the 1/2" tube....the pump is supplied from the skimmer and the overflow.
I'd be curious to see how your's is setup if not like this.

I know one thing, I wish they wouldn't use this odd sized PVC fittings....sch 20 or something?

BLockamon
I'll plan to leave the air intake wide open and adjust the water flow to keep up, but this may be optimistic and need to be changed to add a needle vlv in the air line to tune bubble quality.

One question - what is the water level in your sump around the skimmer? If I sit mine right in the bottom of the sump, the water will be about 12-13" deep....right up to the nuts on the skimmer body, about level with the skimmer exhaust tubes. Should I elevate it some?
Old 08/15/2005, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Old 08/15/2005, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I am looking at this skimmer as well. But I am also looking at the Coralife uper Skimmer 220. A little cheaper but not much. Trying to figure out whick one skims better.

Visit MAAST.org just click the "Red House"
Old 08/15/2005, 03:32 PM
Just some guy, You know?

Hmm, perhaps your skimmer is diffrent than mine, but on mine the pump will not pull in enough water through the 1/2 inch line (by itself) in order to fill the skimmer body, water has to be pumped in (by use of a seprate pump) or overflowed right into that 1/2 inch tube, the OR will recuculate the old whater in the skimmer but will not pump new water through the skimmer.

I HATE THAT METRIC PVC THEY USE TOO. THat is the worst thing about this skimmer, I can't put anything on the output pipes to stop the splashing and salt creep.

Whiskey
Old 08/15/2005, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

wiskey
do you have the sump model or a hang-on?