Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2005, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Angry Arrrggh...!! CPR Overflow!!

I've HAD it!

For what seems like the umpteenth time this overflow has broken it's siphon. Water all over the carpet into the basement AGAIN!

I have used different powerheads to keep the siphon going and even that dumb aqua lifter that is as loud as a dragster and spits water all over the place. As for restarting the siphon after the power goes out?? HA! That dumb CPR has to be babysat like you wouldn't believe.

This time... using a RIO 1700 powerhead it finally looked like it was possibly going to work. WRONG! Anemone decided to crawl up the side of the tank and got himself sucked into the powerhead and fried it. Ok, can't blame CPR for that one but doggone it... I don't want to have to babysit this thing anymore!

I've contemplated drilling the tank, but had a bad experience with that one time too. Our electric goes out with the slightest barometric pressure change and it's just too risky. Yea, I need to buy a generator, I know but feeding the kids always seems to be a priority.

Please... if anybody can give me a suggestion for an overflow that will still do it's job without an electical requirement.. I would be forever indebted. I've read up on various ones but at this point in the game... I looking for some hard core, tried it and it works awesome referrals.

Thanks!!
Old 08/03/2005, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

You can design an internal overflow that will is not likely to over-flow the sump when the power goes out.

The return line needs at least two holes drilled just below the water's surface. If the power goes out, this will bread the returns siphon when the water falls below the two holes.

The sump and main tank should have enough water so that if the power goes out, it does not over-flow the sump. I accomplished this by filling the main tank to just below the teeth of my over flow box and filling the sump to the top. When I powered up the return pump, the main tank filled up to the top. I marked where the water level stopped dropping in the sump's return chamber. When I top off, I fill up to no more than that mark.

If a large enough object gets in front of the over-flow box, or in the over-flow line, it could restrict the drain. Water could over flow the main tank. You can prevent this by adding a 2nd over-flow box. If that is not possible, you can place a screen around the over-flow teeth and the top of the over-flow box. I used plastic gutter screen to protect my over-flow box.
Old 08/04/2005, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Can't help on referring you to a good overflow, but how about installing a float switch to turn off the pump when the overflow quits working? Would keep the carpet dry.
Connie
Old 08/04/2005, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

I use a standard overflow box with a U tube. The things that I have done seem to work well for me. You need to have a pump with enough output to push the bubbles throught your U tube but not strong enough to drain your sump. You can balance this by installing a ball valve on your return line.
Keep your U tube,overflow box,return line clean, algae will clog parts of the system up and slow down the flow. Drill a small hole or two just below the water line in your tank on your return pipe.
This will stop you tank from draining excess water into your sump during a power fail. I also put my return pump in my sump in a small open lid box with the top of the box just below the lowest water level of your sump. This will allow the pump to suck just the water out of the box and if something goes wrong not drain the entire sump. I know this will make the return pump run dry but I'd rather have that than have the pump drain the entire sump on my floor and then run dry if your not home. If you buy a big enough overlfow box you might be able to put a Durso mod on it which will make it quiet.
This is what I have done, some or all of it might work for you.

Dave
Old 08/04/2005, 07:59 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Until you get a new overflow tip the CPR overflow just a little bit so the air goes to the side with the nipple. This will help the air escape and not loose siphon. Also there may be something wrong with your aqua lift pump as mine hardly made a sound when I was using it.
Old 08/04/2005, 08:52 PM
Moved On

wow if you cannt handel the cpr go to the u tube style or just spend the coin and get RR I own and operate the cpr 102 and have no problems with mine
Old 08/08/2005, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the great information. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet but I have some info to get me started! Thanks again.